*** THE BIG SICK *** (Kumail Nanjiani, Ray Romano)

3,878 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Max Power
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Based on the real-life courtship between Kumail Nanjiani (Silicon Valley) and his now-wife, The Big Sick was a massive hit at Sundance this year. And now with the first trailer, I can see why. Can't wait to see this when it hits theaters on June 23...

Max Power
AG
Looks great, but a movie full of Dinesh needs Gilfoyle.
Duncan Idaho
That looks like top tier apatow
wangus12
AG
Looks good, but man does Kumail's voice annoy me
TCTTS
AG
(Just FYI, Apatow only produced, didn't direct.)
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

(Just FYI, Apatow only produced, didn't direct.
i just said it looked like his work.
BQ2001
AG
Love Kumail and Emily on their Indoor Kids podcast. Hoping I can get my wife to see this one
Jim01
AG
Looks intriguing.

My one pet peeve though... trailers that start with that stupid "Hi I'm Joe Blow and this is the trailer for my new movie..." Just show the damn trailer! What do studios/marketing/stars think those little intro adds to things? "Oh I wasn't going to watch the new ____ trailer, but did you hear ______ personally introduces it?" I just don't get it.
TCTTS
AG
Sadly, that's literally exactly what studios think/hope they do. This trend has started because millennials have the attention span of a fly, and a lot of video platforms don't count a "view" unless it's been watched for X amount of seconds. So they're trying to hook younger viewers with either a quick, five-second preview of the trailer literally just before the trailer starts (so stupid) - or - an intro by the actors involved (less stupid, but still mind numbing).
Tobias Funke
AG
Romano has some of the best comedic delivery in the business.
Btron
AG
Tobias Funke said:

Romano has some of the best comedic delivery in the business.
Really?
Rudyjax
AG
Looks good.

Not enough good comedies.
Quad Dog
AG
I see it more as an attempt to make the movie more personal. Which this is a very personal story to Kumail,
TCTTS
AG
Saw this last night. So, so good. Hilarious and heartwarming, and the packed audience absolutely loved it. Just an awesome movie all around, with really great performances by Kumail and Ray Ramano, in particular. Holly Hunter definitely has her moments, too.

Also, Kumail has a 9/11 joke that had me laughing the hardest I've laughed in a theater in years. So damn funny.

The movie released in NY & LA this weekend, expands to "select cities" next weekend, and then finally goes wide on July 14. Go see it!
mazag08
AG
TCTTS said:

Sadly, that's literally exactly what studios think/hope they do. This trend has started because millennials have the attention span of a fly, and a lot of video platforms don't count a "view" unless it's been watched for X amount of seconds. So they're trying to hook younger viewers with either a quick, five-second preview of the trailer literally just before the trailer starts (so stupid) - or - an intro by the actors involved (less stupid, but still mind numbing).

Our society is so ADD and moronic that this is now a thing that must be done to make money.

It literally doesn't ever get better from here. It just keeps getting worse. And we're ok with it.
TCTTS
AG
Jim01
AG
Saw it last night and loved it.

Sadly in the League City/Clearlake area I was literally the only person in the theatre. Then again it was a Sunday night 10:15 showing, but still made me a bit sad more people weren't checking out this great movie.
watty
AG
Saw it yesterday and loved it. A few things frustrated me but overall, very good, and the complaints I had weren't with the film, they were with the character himself, which I have to assume was written very true to life so really that probably just means I was invested, which means the film did a good job of drawing me in. Definitely funny, Ray Romano was great, as were the main guy and girl. And yes, the 9/11 joke was one of the funnier lines I've heard in a movie in a long, long time.
mslags97
AG
Absolutely great movie! So good. So funny. Thoroughly enjoyed this one. My favorite movie of the year so far.
bigtruckguy3500
Just heard about this movie on NPR yesterday. Seems like good review all around, but I'm surprised I haven't heard about it till over a week after its nationwide release, and a month after its select cities release. I guess it's just not a big summer action flick? Probably overshadowed by Dunkirk.

Question: Is the central theme of the movie the cultural differences, and trying to explain them?

Anyways, sounds like I need to try and see it.
Max Power
AG
Finally got around to watching this on Amazon, thought it was excellent. The entire cast was outstanding, Ray Romano and Holly Hunter as Emily's parents in particular.

I thought the developing relationship between Kumail and Emily was really great to watch. Conversely the scene in the hospital when he sees her for the first time after she comes out of the coma was truly heartbreaking.

Overall I highly recommend, probably my favorite film so far this year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.