13 Reasons Why - Netflix Original

11,109 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by emando2000
nai06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
More than 4 episodes is unnecessary. The book motored through all the tapes in one night
Sentinel
AG
I disagree. 13 episodes may have been too many, but having the events unfold over several episodes allowed for deeper character development.
CrottyKid
AG
sucked
Story not strong enough or believable enough to overcoming mediocre acting. People will watch anything these days.
SACR
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Let me get this straight:

Counselor asked the girl to name the rapist (Bryce) to him, because he couldn't do anything else without that, and she didn't, so she walked away? First off I understand he could've done more in episode 13. But Hannah had all opportunity to let our her story and accusations there. Melodramatic "he didn't follow me out" was a little over the top.

How did that all happen in the book? Was it different because of the Bryce party scene in general?

Edit: I'm like Clay and took a while to finish all the episodes.

In the book, she walks out of his office. He doesn't follow her, which she notes on the tape.

When he told her that 'moving on' and forgetting what happened is an option, she decides he doesn't care. Granted, the fact that she tells him that she wants life to stop, and he picks up on what she says, but he doesn't stop her from leaving the office, well, that's pretty fricking terrible.

He asks if something illegal happened, she says 'like a rape? no'. He knows she had sex, but his reaction leads you to believe he thinks she just regrets having sex, and is sad about that.

Remember, she isn't raped in the book.
20ag07
Quote:

People will watch anything these days.

How far did you make it?

And when did crappy TV become a "these days" thing. That's long been the case, and if anything, has largely gotten better.
PatAg
AG
emando2000 said:

I just found out about the show last week & I've worked 8 days straight not counting today. I have very little time for tv.

Well I watched it & what I thought would happen to her did. As someone mentioned the suicide scene was tough to watch. She had opportunities for help but chose to play games hoping for the perfect mind reader & the perfect response from another to stop her from running out of the situation. I don't blame the counselor so much...I kinda understand his situation. He basically knew nothing about her & she came to him cold. It's difficult to process that much info that quickly & articulate the right words. He made mistakes during their conversation but I felt like he was trying to get her to open up. I'm not sure a school counselor should be expected to handle that type of situation...heck I don't even know if "qualified professionals" know how to correctly handle the situation.

I'm so so with the show. I didn't really like it but thought the end was powerful-ish. I know people that have been raped & made it through it with little help. They lead busy lives and time didn't stop for them. This is a kid that had plenty of help around her, she just needed to reach out.
Look, and I say this with all sincerity, but you should shut the **** up about things you don't know a ******* thing about, ie how rape victims "make it through"

THat being said, suicide is a very selfish thing to do in my personal opinion...

as far as the series, I think Tyler removing the picture he did in conjunction with seeing what he had in his trunk is conflicting with the little flashback they showed right before he took it down. Not sure what to think there.

and Zach had sent a ton of texts to him apparently and only gets the text "please call".
Wonder if that was the Dad responding.
redd38
AG
PatAg said:

Look, and I say this with all sincerity, but you should shut the **** up about things you don't know a ******* thing about, ie how rape victims "make it through"

THat being said, suicide is a very selfish thing to do in my personal opinion...

Seriously?
emando2000
AG
PatAg said:

emando2000 said:

I just found out about the show last week & I've worked 8 days straight not counting today. I have very little time for tv.

Well I watched it & what I thought would happen to her did. As someone mentioned the suicide scene was tough to watch. She had opportunities for help but chose to play games hoping for the perfect mind reader & the perfect response from another to stop her from running out of the situation. I don't blame the counselor so much...I kinda understand his situation. He basically knew nothing about her & she came to him cold. It's difficult to process that much info that quickly & articulate the right words. He made mistakes during their conversation but I felt like he was trying to get her to open up. I'm not sure a school counselor should be expected to handle that type of situation...heck I don't even know if "qualified professionals" know how to correctly handle the situation.

I'm so so with the show. I didn't really like it but thought the end was powerful-ish. I know people that have been raped & made it through it with little help. They lead busy lives and time didn't stop for them. This is a kid that had plenty of help around her, she just needed to reach out.

as far as the series, I think Tyler removing the picture he did in conjunction with seeing what he had in his trunk is conflicting with the little flashback they showed right before he took it down. Not sure what to think there.

and Zach had sent a ton of texts to him apparently and only gets the text "please call".
Wonder if that was the Dad responding.
Wow! A very close friend of mine was raped and I helped her through it. She had episodes where she would break down in movies or have an all out panic attack for no reason. I couldn't be there 100% of the time because I would be out of town or she had her current bf with her. This happened about 6 years ago and she's still battling demons but she's better than the first few years.

Assume away though. I'm sorry if you or someone close to you has experienced it. My friend got very little help from the authorities in her situation. She tried a counselor but that didn't do much for her. I spent time with her but in the end, she had to make a conscious decision to take it day by day to try and move past it. Was it the best approach? I don't know. But what I do know is that she had a full time job and other grown up responsibilities that she didn't let go. She faced it, struggled and is doing well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.