13 Reasons Why - Netflix Original

11,083 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by emando2000
Sentinel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone watch this? At first I wasn't sure if I would like it. Never read the book. Watched the first episode yesterday and finished the last one today.

mrsbeer05
AG
I haven't watched it. I read the book several years ago. I did not like it, but all my students (high school kids) loved it. I would be interested if anyone who read the book likes this adaptation.
Sentinel
AG
From what I've read online it takes some creative liberties and delves more into the characters. I don't think I'd like the book but I definitely liked the show.

Since it's on Netflix, the show doesn't pull punches. It gets incredibly intense.
20ag07
This is how Netflix's strategy is successful. Slap that "Netflix Original Series label" on it, drop 13 new episodes on a Friday night, and the next thing I know I'm halfway done with the show a day later. And the show is nothing more than an ABCFamily teen melodrama with sliiiightly better production value and a marginally better adult cast. I don't watch and ABCFamily teen melodaramas. Yet here I am watching this.

It's a somewhat intriguing mystery and the setup provides a decent hook, but this isn't a show made for adults. Yet, I'll probably still be finished with the 2nd half by tomorrow.
TXAGFAN
AG
Pretty vapid main character...I'm embarrassed I watched most of it while doing some work around the house. Some terrible things happened to her and in the end they laid out the progression (breaking her spirit, her soul, etc), but I found a lot of the episodes to be pretty melodramatic. Also, all this "no one helped her" nonsense seems a bit silly, lots of people tried to help her. She was just insufferable and wouldn't take it.
mrsbeer05
AG
TXAGFAN said:

Pretty vapid main character...I'm embarrassed I watched most of it while doing some work around the house. Some terrible things happened to her and in the end they laid out the progression (breaking her spirit, her soul, etc), but I found a lot of the episodes to be pretty melodramatic. Also, all this "no one helped her" nonsense seems a bit silly, lots of people tried to help her. She was just insufferable and wouldn't take it.
This is why I did not like the book.
Btron
AG
Does anyone remember from the early 90's, a network television show that was along the same lines as twilight zone? Anyway I remember an episode where a young girl was assualted and killed. Then when the bullies were older she comes back to take them out one by one. She enlist the help of one of the kids there that didn't participate. She then kills him because he didn't do anything to help her when they were kids. It had a very similar vibe to Stephen Kings "sometimes they come back".
Anyway sorry to derail this thread, does anyone know what I'm talking about?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Would you be thinking of "The Outer Limits"? I remember the show, forget what network it aired on.
Gil Renard
AG
Love it so far through 5 episodes
20ag07
Drinking game to kill yourself watchjng this show- drink everytime someone asks Clay if he's listened to his own tape, or just says "you haven't even listened to your own tape yet!"
20ag07
Well that got just way too rapey. The last few picked up, and the first was a nice setup, but the entire solid middle was a drag with way too much talk about the "tapes", rather than what was on them.

Like with Big Little Lies and HBO, the only reason I made it through a full season was because it was a Netflix binge. But I wouldn't do another season with these characters. Oh, and while there are some plot holes, it's probably
More strongly written from that perspective than Big Little Lies.

So the only point of that photographer kid and his stash of guns was to set up a school massacre season 2 right? They left a few dangling threads in a next season direction, but that one seemed the most out of leftfield to have been for any other purpose.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
20ag07 said:

So the only point of that photographer kid and his stash of guns was to set up a school massacre season 2 right? They left a few dangling threads in a next season direction, but that one seemed the most out of leftfield to have been for any other purpose.

Spoiler!
TXAGFAN
AG
It's been available three days and quoting it only makes it worse.
Gil Renard
AG
Good till about the last 2-3 episodes. Way to rapey as noted. Baylor
Tobias Funke
AG
I didn't really like this show at all and I watched the whole thing
mrsbeer05
AG
Tobias Funke said:

The power of the binge.
chipotle
damn
MelvinUdall
I liked it, but I am not sure if it is a show for a young teen. I agree that there was a drag midway through, but it picked up towards the end.
Sentinel
AG
I agree. It would definitely be rated TV-MA if it came out on cable.
20ag07
I've never seen "this may be disturbing" disclaimers in front of a Netflix show like this one had.
aggiespartan
AG
I only got through half of the first episode. Maybe I'll give it another try, but I got bored with it.
Dro07
AG
That suicide scene was effing BRUTAL!

Really disappointed in the ending. Haven't read the book but I am guessing there will be a season two due to all the non closure

Also what was the dang reason for Alex to commit suicide? The scene with the stocker kid and the pictures made it feel like he was the one that shot him.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Just finished it. Started off decent first few episodes then drug on through until the last two. Seems like a lot of people on here didn't like it but had to finish it and I definitely fall into that boat. In a non creepy way I thought the suicide scene was well done.
Sentinel
AG
dromo07 said:

Really disappointed in the ending. Haven't read the book but I am guessing there will be a season two due to all the non closure
From what I read online, the show goes into way more detail than the book. If there is a season 2, I don't think it'll be based off the book.
Quote:

Also what was the dang reason for Alex to commit suicide? The scene with the stocker kid and the pictures made it feel like he was the one that shot him.
It was a build up all season long. Kinda like Hannah's was a build up. Mostly guilt I'd say.
MelvinUdall
Sentinel said:

I agree. It would definitely be rated TV-MA if it came out on cable.

I have a daughter that was 15 and I thought on the front end that this should be a show for her to watch, by the end I was like no, I need to her to get a little older. Don't get me wrong I am not naive, but that show was rough with some of the scenarios.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Just finished it tonight.
My thoughts echo many of yours. Thought some of it was absolutely great, thought much of it was over the top and/or boring. The suicide scene left me shaking. That was brutal beyond anything I was expecting. As morbid as this sounds, they nailed it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Watched the first 3 episodes this weekend. Will continue.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Also, Kate Walsh is a total hottie but good lord did they make her look like **** in this show. Another strange "good job".
West Point Aggie
AG
mrsbeer05 said:

Tobias Funke said:

The power of the binge.

Funny...if I dont like a show I'm currently in the middle of binging on, I'll simply stop and never go back to it...did that recently with the 4400 and a few others...there's too much stuff on Netflix to even think about it!

This shows sounds like one not even worth starting...
nai06
AG
I've seen about half of the episodes so far. Im very familiar with the book so i'll post my complete thoughts on the series once im finished. So far its pretty different than the book.
emando2000
AG
Here's what I don't understand... What was so difficult about her situation? What about her experience was too traumatic?

The only thing that seems remotely difficult is the picture being passed around school but I'm sure kids deal with much more regarding phone pics.

I feel like kids are crueler than the ones in this show and they softly touched on bullying and high school hardships. The girl had help, it wasn't like she had zero friends.
aggiesportsfiend10
AG
Have you finished the show? Because it seems the answer to your question of what might be seen as traumatic, beside the crotch shot from Justin/Bryce, is pretty obvious.
emando2000
AG
aggiesportsfiend10 said:

Have you finished the show? Because it seems the answer to your question of what might be seen as traumatic, beside the crotch shot from Justin/Bryce, is pretty obvious.
I think I have 3 episodes left.
Dro07
AG
ya you haven't hit the worse part yet bruh
emando2000
AG
I thought she was gonna be the one that experienced what the other girl went through. Now I'm not sure what's gonna happen to her. I haven't finished it yet cuz I keep falling asleep.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.