Life - Sci-Fi Flick - Jake Gyllenhaal Ryan Reynolds Rebecca Ferguson

4,992 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rascal
reb,
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting. I thought it looked like routine hot garbage from the previews but I wasn't happy about that, I guess I'll give it a look as long as its mediocre-or-better.
astros4545
AG
Jake Gyllenhall is in it

He don't do bad movies
HeadGames
AG
Prince of Persia ?
bonfarr
AG
astros4545 said:

Jake Gyllenhall is in it

He don't do bad movies

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TexAgs91 said:

******** SPOILERS *****************

I thought most of it was good. Although the characters seemed to be of only average intelligence. Not the kind of people you'd see on the space station. The station's mechanic was right to gripe out the exobiologist. It's not a pet. It could be another anthrax! Something the exobiologist seemed to have never considered. When the **** started to hit the fan, the exobiologist should have been the expert on things to try for killing it.

I did like the alien. It seemed realistic until it suddenly became a super hero that could withstand the vacuum of space and had unlimited strength and was extremely smart for something that was about a month old.

Nits...
- I see we're back to having sound in space.
- Why didn't the earth roll by beneath the space station in many scenes? It's as if the ISS wasn't moving.
- There's no way the SSRMS (space station remote manipulator system - aka robotic arm) would be able to function after catching that spacecraft, let alone actually catch it. And you would NEVER... NEVER have an astronaut standing by next to it, or even place the space station in its path. The soyuz that docked with the station applied much less force and demolished the space station.
- The Soyuz's RCS jets are not going to propel it to the 25,000 mph needed to escape the earth's gravity.
Agree with all of the above
But overall I thought it was good as far as hollywood movies go. But WTF was that at the end? It's as if the director's 13 year old kid suddenly took over the movie and said "Ok, now the commander's safe at home, the Earth is safe... Oh no! The two space craft were switched and the commander's gone off into deep space and the alien landed on earth with the pilot!". Give me a break. I actually give the movie credit for doing this. When was the last alien movie to show the critter actually get back to a civilized part of planet Earth? The Alien never did. The Thing came down in Antarctica.

I got to take this one in this morning. It was a decent monster flick. I like the set-up for the movie. The characters were mostly run-of-the-mill although I did like the CDC (?) gal and Deadpool. The critter was an interesting design, nothing frightening about it really but still squishy to look at. My biggest complaint was that there was absolutely no suspense. No build-up, no pop-out frights, nothing. They were proud of their critter and let us see everything about it (contrast that with Alien where you really did not know even what its shape really was until the very end).

Still, as a monster movie nut, I'm kinda digging this year, with Kong, Life, Alien Covenant and It all in one year. What did I do to deserve this flurry of monster flicks?
titanmaster_race
TexAgs91 said:

- There's no way the SSRMS (space station remote manipulator system - aka robotic arm) would be able to function after catching that spacecraft, let alone actually catch it. And you would NEVER... NEVER have an astronaut standing by next to it, or even place the space station in its path. The soyuz that docked with the station applied much less force and demolished the space station.

Even if the SSRMS could catch the hurtling satellite with no impact damage to station, the imparted angular momentum would eventually destroy it. The ISS is a flexible structure that is extremely fragile. Those solar arrays look cool but are a ***** to maintain (read: not break).
Funky Winkerbean
AG
astros4545 said:

Jake Gyllenhall is in it

He don't do bad movies

He does now.
Rascal
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

TexAgs91 said:

I thought most of it was good. Although the characters seemed to be of only average intelligence. Not the kind of people you'd see on the space station. The station's mechanic was right to gripe out the exobiologist. It's not a pet. It could be another anthrax! Something the exobiologist seemed to have never considered. When the **** started to hit the fan, the exobiologist should have been the expert on things to try for killing it.

I did like the alien. It seemed realistic until it suddenly became a super hero that could withstand the vacuum of space and had unlimited strength and was extremely smart for something that was about a month old.

Nits...
- I see we're back to having sound in space.
- Why didn't the earth roll by beneath the space station in many scenes? It's as if the ISS wasn't moving.
- The Soyuz's RCS jets are not going to propel it to the 25,000 mph needed to escape the earth's gravity.
Agree with all of the above
But overall I thought it was good as far as hollywood movies go. But WTF was that at the end? It's as if the director's 13 year old kid suddenly took over the movie and said "Ok, now the commander's safe at home, the Earth is safe... Oh no! The two space craft were switched and the commander's gone off into deep space and the alien landed on earth with the pilot!". Give me a break. I actually give the movie credit for doing this. When was the last alien movie to show the critter actually get back to a civilized part of planet Earth? The Alien never did. The Thing came down in Antarctica.

I got to take this one in this morning. It was a decent monster flick. I like the set-up for the movie. The characters were mostly run-of-the-mill although I did like the CDC (?) gal and Deadpool. The critter was an interesting design, nothing frightening about it really but still squishy to look at. My biggest complaint was that there was absolutely no suspense. No build-up, no pop-out frights, nothing. They were proud of their critter and let us see everything about it (contrast that with Alien where you really did not know even what its shape really was until the very end).

Still, as a monster movie nut, I'm kinda digging this year, with Kong, Life, Alien Covenant and It all in one year. What did I do to deserve this flurry of monster flicks?

I just watched this 2-weeks ago. I thought they did a pretty good job on a couple of occasions with pop-out frights:

1. when the critter jumped inside Ryan Reynolds mouth out of nowhere
2. when the critter jumped out of one of the space station portals while the commander lady was trying to fix something
3. when the critter was gnawing off the exobiologist's leg under his pants

pretty entertaining movie overall with a horrid, thought provoking ending.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.