Joshua Tree 2017 sold out most

11,334 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bac
LegettHall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Doing big venues, as usual. Arlington is shown as sold out, Houston not.

http://www.u2.com/tour/index/tour/id/79

Big Al 1992
AG
See you in Seattle, Houston, Dallas, Cleveland. I'm crazy but have been going to their shows since '85.
SeattleAgJr
part of me really wants to see this.

but I have no interest in Bono and his piehole railing on Trump during the concert while I am trying to enjoy their music.

Pass.
jeffk
AG
U2 is political. Always have been.

Hasn't stopped me from enjoying their music.
Al Bula
AG
U2 is one of those mega bands I love but not enough to buy tickets and watch. If someone hooked me up with suite tickets, I'd go. Or lower level seats at Toyota... but not upper level seats.

I don't care about their politics either.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I saw them in the Astrodome during their Zootopia tour.

During the show, Bono had this bit where he tried to get Pres. Bush on the phone by calling the White House. By this time, I'm sure he'd been calling almost every night for weeks during shows that the switchboard operator would see the number and think "sh*t, it's that Bono dewshbag again."

I'm sure he thought it was funny and "sticking it to the man", but even the crowd thought it was kinda lame and pointless.
chipotle
Working on my "JUST. SING. SONGS." chant right now.
Duncan Idaho
jeffk said:

In a similar fashion, I always get a laugh at the guys going to a Steve Earl show that only know copperhead road.
SeattleAgJr
jeffk said:

no problem with them being political in their music. We are there to hear their songs -the good and the bad.

I have no interest in them spewing their drivel between songs.

Shut up and sing, indeed.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
If this is a 30th anniversary of The Joshua Tree tour, then shouldn't his political ramblings during concerts be about Reaganomics and Iran/Contra?
The Collective
AG
Making money off your 30 year old work and knowing the crowd will probably pick up the singing anytime you want to take a break.... Bono is genius.
Joan Wilder
AG
They have ALWAYS spoken their "political drivel" between songs. This isn't new. I don't get people demanding they "stop talking about ending poverty being our moonshot and sing your non political song Bullet the Blue Sky!"

They are an AMAZING live show and I cannot wait.
mhayden
People who have such an issue with musicians being political are more annoying than musicians that are political.
AggieSouth06
Bono has an audience of literal MILLIONS to express his opinions to, and some of you want him to "shut up and sing."

Meanwhile, you have an audience of like 7 TexAgs posters and you shoehorn politics into half of your posts.
Redstone
AG
I have the deluxe edition of Joshua Tree, list this work in my top 10 LPs of all time, and have been very close to Bono, the Edge et al. as a VIP audience member at Reliant Stadium shortly after Muse opened the evening's show under a retracted roof.
fig96
AG
Clarke95 said:

They have ALWAYS spoken their "political drivel" between songs. This isn't new. I don't get people demanding they "stop talking about ending poverty being our moonshot and sing your non political song Bullet the Blue Sky!"

They are an AMAZING live show and I cannot wait.
This. I probably won't get to this show, but I've seen them three times and they're an incredible show every time.
walton91
Quote:

no problem with them being political in their music. We are there to hear their songs -the good and the bad.

Their "drivel" just happens to be what they are passionate about, which also happens to be the inspiration for their songs, which happens to be what you want to listen to. They are interrelated. One is an extension of the other. If you have been a fan of the band for any amount of time, you probably should have already made that connection. By all means, though, keep wishing them to be something they have never been.
Human
AG
I stopped being a fan because of their drivel

Just shut up already

West Point Aggie
AG
That's a lot of white people in their 40s/50s and 60s...kind of like a madonna concert these days...except in her case it is equally old mostly homos!
SeattleAgJr
walton91 said:

Quote:

Their "drivel" just happens to be what they are passionate about, which also happens to be the inspiration for their songs, which happens to be what you want to listen to. They are interrelated. One is an extension of the other. If you have been a fan of the band for any amount of time, you probably should have already made that connection. By all means, though, keep wishing them to be something they have never been.
I did not ask them not to be political in their music; I asked that I not have to hear their political drivel between songs.

and I will get my wish, as I will not be seeing them in concert.
fig96
AG
It sounds like going to see U2 is pretty much the equivalent of turning on CNN post-debate from reading this thread.

Kinda funny as I'd barely noticed that while seeing them live several times over the last decade.
Redstone
AG
Bono declined his SJW speeches when I was a VIP concert goer. Sad.
Know Your Enemy
AG
AggieSouth06 said:

Bono has an audience of literal MILLIONS to express his opinions to, and some of you want him to "shut up and sing."

Meanwhile, you have an audience of like 7 TexAgs posters and you shoehorn politics into half of your posts.

(Insert Denzel boom gif here)
Aust Ag
AG
Wow, just followed that link to the Houston tickets....wow! I was first deck for The Unforgettable Fire tour at the Summit and probably paid $20. 1st deck now? Inflation ain't gone up that much. Unfortunately have to pass.
Big Al 1992
AG
Saw the show in Seattle
If you're a casual fan you will really enjoy it.
If you're a super fan you'll love it!!
They are using an 8K - 8K!!! - football field length video screen. The entire production is amazing. Check out some of the videos already on YouTube.
For the music see spoilers below. And in Seattle Eddie Vedder showed up to sing.
the set list didn't change much from Vancouver. Opened in B stage with just Larry banging away for Sunday Bloody Sunday. New Years Day. A sort of Homecoming - a real highlight!!
Bad and Pride
The JT set gave was amazing - Streets with the stage all red was fantastic. As I said the visuals on the screen were like eye candy.
A few mentions of Trump and the Seattle crowd ate it up, not sure how that plays in Texas but it wasn't over the top. Only complaint that was over the top was the salute to women. That's great but watching one song montage you'd think women in the US aren't allowed to vote or drive a car or go to school. They highlighted some women - Rosa Parks, Sojourner Truth - great women. Then Oprah and Ellen. Fine. Then Lena Dunham - WTF!!
The encores were great- there was one new song that was meh.

All in all a fantastic show. Voice was good and energy was great.

Big Al 1992
AG
Anyone going Wed or Fri?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Friday
c-jags
going friday. i'm pumped as i've always wanted to see them, but i'm really hoping they tone down the politics since it's in Dallas. that's honestly tempered my excitement.

i actually am behind a LOT of what Bono supports in terms of his moralistic goals. he's put a lot of effort into some worthwhile causes, that being said, he doesn't need to bash Trump (who i don't like) to get there.
Echoes97
AG
Going Wednesday, have great seats I think. Really looking forward to it as for whatever reason I have never gotten around to seeing them.
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
FarmerJohn
AG
I'm going Wednesday. Looking forward to it, even with all the political parts.

One question, what's the timing on the show? I would like to just take the light rail to and from NRG, but the wonderful Houston metro has the last train at 11:30PM, or thereabouts. I just can't see Uber being anything other than a cluster after this.
MAROON
AG
FarmerJohn said:

I'm going Wednesday. Looking forward to it, even with all the political parts.

One question, what's the timing on the show? I would like to just take the light rail to and from NRG, but the wonderful Houston metro has the last train at 11:30PM, or thereabouts. I just can't see Uber being anything other than a cluster after this.
Per Reliant:

3:00pm Parking Gates Open
5:00pm All Stadium Gates Open
7:00pm Opening Act The Lumineers

8:00pm Intermission
8:40pm-10:40pm U2 (tentative schedule)

10:15pm Alcohol Cut-Off
11:00pm Building Clear

FarmerJohn
AG
Thanks. Wasn't able to find that much information on the NRG website.
Joan Wilder
AG
Going Wednesday and absolutely cannot wait. They're so amazing live.
drmwvr
AG
Going Friday at AT&T. I've been to a concert for every U2 tour since Zoo TV. Can't wait!

Aust Ag
AG
I wonder if American acts ever go over to Europe and bash whoever the sitting leader for that particular country? Maybe they do, who knows.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.