*** LOGAN *** (Spoilers / Reactions)

28,021 Views | 216 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cbr
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not seeing this until Saturday night, but figured we better get a spoiler thread going since people are currently sitting in the theater for the first public showings as we speak. That, and I wanted to make sure only non-spoiler reactions are posted in the other thread, which can be found here.

Can't wait!
AgMarauder04
AG
Logan's gonna kill somebody.
MrPlow2010
AG
Holy **** that was awesome. Even better than I hoped for. It was so brutal. It being R rated was the best decision ever. .
wangus12
AG
Damn good movie. That ending was about as hard as watching John Wayne die in the Cowboys from when I was a kid.

Perfect decision to go rated R.

Deadpool intro was great as well
Phat32
AG
That was just a fantastic movie. Brutal as all get out, and the cloned Wolverine showed how insanely powerful he really was.

Great job by the cast. Hated the guy from Narcos.
Lonestar06
Probably the best movie I've ever watched. I highly recommend it.
MrPlow2010
AG
I was so hoping for the rock grave to start to move at the very end. Part of me is pissed that it finally took 17 years to make Wolverine like this and that we had to endure movies like X men - Origins. I wish Jackman could come back for more. He is so good as Wolverine.

It's going to real hard to enjoy comic book movies going forward now that we've had Logan.
Bobcat06
AG
I kept thinking about watching him for the first time back in 2000 and everything that's happened since then.

I feel old
AliasMan02
AG
When I left the theater I was actually a bit speechless. I was genuinely moved and got misty more than once.

It's definitely the best X-Men film. It's also definitely set in the Origins - X3 - Wolverine continuity in spirit. It MAY be possible that it can exist in that timeline in actuality but that seems unlikely. In Logan, there hasn't been a mutant birth since roughly 2004, if I got that right.

We've seen strong superhero performances over the years, but never an ensemble like Jackman, Stewart, and Keen. The rage and sentiment and regret and hope are all so very real.

If they had wanted to play up his role as more central, Stewart could have pulled Oscar buzz.

There were campy Fox-like elements that held it back in small areas, but if you want to say which comic book movie is the closest thing to ART, I think this is your winner.

It's great. So great that I'm a little pissed that this isn't what we've been getting all along.

X
jabberwalkie09
AG
This definitely felt like the end of the Hugh Jackman era, and the end of the X-Men era as we know it. I'd be completely satisfy if they left the old characters that we've seen in Apocalypse with this as the epilogue.

I honestly didn't see X-24 killing Charles. That shocked me. Charles dying at the hands of the feral incarnation of Wolverine was made all the more tragic when he was talking to him as James/Logan only to be run through by X-24. I should have seen his end coming when he started talking about he didn't deserve the night that they just had.

The film was great in how it showed that Logan was dying, health failing, and that he just wanted it to be over but that Laura gave him something to live for and eventually die for. I was touched, and genuinely moved by Logan/James' journey through this film.

After Logan, I'm honestly not sure that I could find myself going back to what we've been given before with the old continuity and the new rebooted continuity with First Class.
BassCowboy33
Lonestar06 said:

Probably the best movie I've ever watched. I highly recommend it.

I really loved this film, but, man, you need to watch more movies.
BassCowboy33
Fantastic. If you exclude the Nolan Batman films, it's definitely the best comic book movie.

It did drag at points. A little too Peter Jackson for the middle third, but that's really my only complaint. The girl, Dafne Keene, was fantastic. That silent, Edward Scissorhands type of role is very difficult to pull off.
Gerald Tarrant
AgMarauder04 said:

Logan's gonna kill somebody.

Just saw it. Can confirm (times like 200)
Gerald Tarrant
But yeah best comic book movie since The Dark Knight, easily - probably still #2 behind it for me but it's close. **** the avengers franchise, this is how it's done
Gerald Tarrant
But apparently Australian theaters missed the memo on this deadpool thing everyone's talking about
TajMaballer
AG
I really loved it. They nailed the emotional relationships. Legit teary eyed throughout. The action was insane. I hope they find a way to get X-23 into more movies.

Minor complaints: Some of the cursing felt unnecessary. Sometimes I felt they were saying **** just to curse. It didn't add anything to the scene. There were also some pacing issues in the middle. Felt like 20-30 minutes too long. I consider these minor complaints because of how well they pulled off the emotional aspect of the movie and the action though.
HeadGames
AG
Nah, I agree with those complaints.
Saxsoon
AG
Cursing definitely was not organic, especially with Charles

Otherwise the movie was just stunning. This felt like the first very adult movie and not because of the gore, cursing, or the flashing of a woman's chest. This was an emotionally heavy film and the chemistry between Jackman and Stewart was amazing. There really was a father/son relationship, and many parallels of dealing with a parent with dementia. And Logan's inadequacy as a father. I loved how the movie opened in El Paso and I definitely recognized the highways and areas they filmed in New Mexico. I guess this was a parallel reality where Charles was tricked to use Cerebro to eliminate most Mutants in 2004, or was there ever another reason given that I missed.

Also holy hell that Deadpool opening. I honestly thought the movie was starting and that Deadpool would walk into the theater afterwards, eat some popcorn, kick his feet up and the movie would start.

Who noticed the Firefly poster and Nathan Summers is coming (written on the telephone booth). Also there is no after credits scene. All the talk about 3 minutes added was the deadpool opening.
Urban Ag
AG
So it's R for language and violence.

Any sex scenes?

How bad is the violence, like Deadpool level?

thanks

HeadGames
AG
Urban Ag said:

Any sex scenes? No - a girls does flash herself.

How bad is the violence, like Deadpool level? Yes

thanks

AliasMan02
AG
Urban Ag said:

Any sex scenes?

How bad is the violence, like Deadpool level?

thanks

One pair of boobs.

But don't be an ahole like the people in front of us and bring your 8 year old. This is not a movie for young kids. It's incredibly violent.
Bobcat06
AG
I don't remember a Stan Lee cameo. Did I miss it?
AliasMan02
AG
Marsuvees said:

Cursing definitely was not organic, especially with Charles

Otherwise the movie was just stunning. This felt like the first very adult movie and not because of the gore, cursing, or the flashing of a woman's chest. This was an emotionally heavy film and the chemistry between Jackman and Stewart was amazing. There really was a father/son relationship, and many parallels of dealing with a parent with dementia. And Logan's inadequacy as a father. I loved how the movie opened in El Paso and I definitely recognized the highways and areas they filmed in New Mexico. I guess this was a parallel reality where Charles was tricked to use Cerebro to eliminate most Mutants in 2004, or was there ever another reason given that I missed.

Also holy hell that Deadpool opening. I honestly thought the movie was starting and that Deadpool would walk into the theater afterwards, eat some popcorn, kick his feet up and the movie would start.

Who noticed the Firefly poster and Nathan Summers is coming (written on the telephone booth). Also there is no after credits scene. All the talk about 3 minutes added was the deadpool opening.

I thought Charles's "old man no filter cursing" was funny.

The incident in Westchester I took to be his first seizure which resulted in the deaths of some of his students.

Deadpool was greatness, including the little references. I hope in the Deadpool universe, Firefly became a long-running and successful series. That would be a good gag.
AliasMan02
AG
Bobcat06 said:

I don't remember a Stan Lee cameo. Did I miss it?

Good point.

Did he have one in The Wolverine?
Urban Ag
AG
easy bub. Just asking because my eleven year old is driving my wife and I batty about it. I had read awhile back that it was basically getting an R rating for the f-bombs but sounds like the violence is a little much for that age.

It's called research.

thanks for the info
Saxsoon
AG
Decapitations, mutilations, amputations, seeing claws go through one end of the skull and out the other
AliasMan02
AG
Urban Ag said:

easy bub. Just asking because my eleven year old is driving my wife and I batty about it. I had read awhile back that it was basically getting an R rating for the f-bombs but sounds like the violence is a little much for that age.

It's called research.

thanks for the info

As long as you don't bring your little kid to my R rated movie, we're cool.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

The incident in Westchester I took to be his first seizure which resulted in the deaths of some of his students.
This is what I took to happen. His first bad seizure at the school probably ended up killing a bunch of kids since no one would have known what it was or what to do.
scubasteve304
AG
Since I'm super original, I'll echo the consensus...that was bad a$$

Loved seeing Wolverine unleashed just going berserker. Loved the tone, serious mournful, western lone samurai. Reddit will probably be mad they don't fully go into how we connect to the timeline or what happened in Westchester or the "xmen comics" existence but I commend Fox in letting Mangold and Jackman do their own thing and tell a What If.

Only nitpicks that kept it from being really great is that it does need tightning and drags between the second and third act. And also, I realize it was more feasible than putting together a sabertooth or omega red, but the big bad (From an action standpoint) being a clone was just meh to me and didn't have any resonance.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I enjoyed it for the most part, but I will not deny that it was slow and even a bit boring at times. The plot was fairly thin, but I can see where the drama and the relationship between Logan and X-23 is the real point of the movie.
SeattleAgJr
BassCowboy33 said:

Fantastic. If you exclude the Nolan Batman films, it's definitely the best comic book movie.

It did drag at points. A little too Peter Jackson for the middle third, but that's really my only complaint. The girl, Dafne Keene, was fantastic. That silent, Edward Scissorhands type of role is very difficult to pull off.
Let's be honest... Only the middle of the Nolan trilogy was actually a "great" movie. The other two were just good.
Bruce Almighty
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Let's be honest... Only the middle of the Nolan trilogy was actually a "great" movie. The other two were just good.
I'll agree that the third was just good, but Batman Begins was great.
Post removed:
by user
AMW2010
AG
Self promoting ice cream eating idiot in a leotard wearing.. that was hilarious
Complete Idiot
Went to early show today, we all loved it! Don't let the rating scare you, took my 6 and 8 year olds with me and they loved it so much they were speechless afterwards!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.