***Logan***

30,880 Views | 238 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AMW2010
TexasAggie_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/20/13199476/wolverine-logan-trailer-hugh-jackman-patrick-stewart

EDIT: UK Trailer with very brief R Rated violence added

EDIT: Official Trailer # 2 (1/19/2017)

Humorous Username
AgMarauder04
Gigem314
AG
Wow. Great job with the trailer. Love the Johnny Cash song, fitting and appropriate.

Will definitely be seeing this one.
BigTimeAlum
AG
Hate the Toyota sponsorship. This is supposed to be in the future and half of the set pieces look brand new 2016
R0GUE
AG
"She's like you. Very much like you."

X-23
jabberwalkie09
AG
Hmmm...

So, do the first two movies have any relevance anymore? Or did DOFP pretty much completely erase them from the timeline?
wangus12
AG
Damn. Really gonna be tough to see Jackman do his last film as Logan. Don't see how anyone else can properly take up the role. Same goes for Patrick Stewart. Both did great jobs and the younger generation hasn't fit that well for me.

Definitely looks like he'll be burying Xavier
Sbisa04
R0GUE
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Hmmm...

So, do the first two movies have any relevance anymore? Or did DOFP pretty much completely erase them from the timeline?
Some details seemed to remain the same. Its still a school, the cast of characters remains about the same. I would assume many things continued on in the same way they did before the time jump.

Last Stand would also be "erased" as would Wolverine: Origins (thank god.)
TexasAggie_02
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Hmmm...

they have relevance to Logan, as he lived through both timelines. He's basically lost everyone he's loved twice.
R0GUE
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Hmmm...

they have relevance to Logan, as he lived through both timelines. He's basically lost everyone he's loved twice.
But lucky for him he forgot it all again. At least until he "arrives" back at the school at the end of DOFP.
schmendeler
AG
I 'm on board
Bruce Almighty
AG
Meh. The best part of the trailer was the song. Take it away and you aren't left with much.
jabberwalkie09
AG
R0GUE said:

Some details seemed to remain the same. Its still a school, the cast of characters remains about the same. I would assume many things continued on in the same way they did before the time jump.

Last Stand would also be "erased" as would Wolverine: Origins (thank god.)
Right, that's was I was thinking. I have no issue with Last Stand being erased, or Origins. I guess I should have specifically asked if The Wolverine still has any relevance to the timeline. Seems like with DOFP that Last Stand, Origins, and The Wolverine would have all been erased from the timeline.
israeliag
AG
Quote:

Same goes for Patrick Stewart
James McAvoy has been terrific, IMO.
AliasMan02
AG
He didn't forget. He remembers killing Jean, for example, only to get her back after DOFP and then eventually lose her again sometime before Logan.

The events of The Wolverine didn't happen in the current continuity, but he remembers then all the same.

What he doesn't remember is anything that happened after drowning in DOFP, up until he reawakes in DOFP. So he doesn't remember being freed from Weapon X by Jean in AoA, for example.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Is it too much to ask for this movie to wrap up to the entire X-Men franchise?

It kinda seems appropriate for this to be the finale. And considering the quality of the last few X-Men movies, it's time to put it to rest.
TCTTS
AG
That trailer legit gave me chills. And to whoever said the music was the only cool part, I guess you don't like great cinematography, cool-looking settings, or a seemingly genuinely interesting story. Man, that was awesome. I think this is going to do crazy good numbers and end up being one of the highest-grossing R-rated movies of the past few years. Cannot wait.

Fun fact: James Mangold, the director, also directed the phenomenal Johnny Cash biopic, Walk the Line.
MGS
Quote:

The events of The Wolverine didn't happen in the current continuity, but he remembers then all the same.

How much different would it have been? Instead of him moping around the Canadian wilderness, the movie starts with him hanging out at the school?
TCTTS
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

It kinda seems appropriate for this to be the finale. And considering the quality of the last few X-Men movies, it's time to put it to rest.

I think it basically will do just that. Apocalypse didn't have near the impact Fox was hoping for, and all these months later they've yet to officially announce any kind of follow up. We might get a couple other movies set in that world, but probably not with any of the characters or actors that have come before. Hopefully this, Deadpool 2, and whatever else are enough to keep Fox preoccupied for another two or three years, and then I bet they figure out a way to reboot the whole thing again after that.
TexasAggie_02
AG
added UK trailer to OP. has a very brief R rated violent scene added to it
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Mangold was also the director of "Wolverine" (which I enjoyed the hell out of), so he really seems to get the character.

Oh, and his "Cop Land' is f***ing incredible.
R0GUE
AG
AliasMan02 said:

He didn't forget. He remembers killing Jean, for example, only to get her back after DOFP and then eventually lose her again sometime before Logan.

What he doesn't remember is anything that happened after drowning in DOFP, up until he reawakes in DOFP. So he doesn't remember being freed from Weapon X by Jean in AoA, for example.
That's what I said. I said until he "arrives" back in the modern day.
MASAXET
AG
Ok, I'm sure I'll get rightfully killed for this, but does anyone know where I can find a link summarizing the timeline of this universe? I've seen all of the movies (except Apocalypse), but typically only once and I can't keep it straight. X Men comics were some of my favorite growing up, but I just haven't gotten into these movies like the MCU.
R0GUE
AG
TCTTS said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

I think it basically will do just that. Apocalypse didn't have near the impact Fox was hoping for, and all these months later they've yet to officially announce any kind of follow up. We might get a couple other movies set in that world, but probably not with any of the characters or actors that have come before. Hopefully this, Deadpool 2, and whatever else are enough to keep Fox preoccupied for another two or three years, and then I bet they figure out a way to reboot the whole thing again after that.
Or you know, let Marvel do it.
TCTTS
AG
You know what else is awesome about that trailer? It's a superhero movie that simply says "IMAX" at the end. Not "IMAX 3D," but just glorious, plain old "IMAX." I can't remember the last time a superhero movie did that. I'm so in on this movie all around.
AliasMan02
AG
MASAXET said:

Ok, I'm sure I'll get rightfully killed for this, but does anyone know where I can find a link summarizing the timeline of this universe? I've seen all of the movies (except Apocalypse), but typically only once and I can't keep it straight. X Men comics were some of my favorite growing up, but I just haven't gotten into these movies like the MCU.

I've posted one before that I'll update with the Logan info.
jackie childs
looks awesome.

it'll be interesting to see how crowds react to seeing a very different-looking wolverine this time around. speaking of, for those who follow the comics, does his healing power slow down as he gets older?
schmendeler
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Meh. The best part of the trailer was the song. Take it away and you aren't left with much.
I love that there wasn't "much" to the trailer. I hate it when they give away too much. I know I like the characters (wolverine and prof. x, and the actors portraying them) so, I don't really need to be sold to see it. seeing that they are taking a grittier, less flashy tone seems like a winner to me.
Bruce Almighty
AG
TCTTS said:

That trailer legit gave me chills. And to whoever said the music was the only cool part, I guess you don't like great cinematography, cool-looking settings, or a seemingly genuinely interesting story. Man, that was awesome. I think this is going to do crazy good numbers and end up being one of the highest-grossing R-rated movies of the past few years. Cannot wait.

Fun fact: James Mangold, the director, also directed the phenomenal Johnny Cash biopic, Walk the Line.
I enjoy cinematography, cool looking setting and interesting stories and I didn't see that in the trailer. (Cinematography was good I guess, but that alone doesn't make a movie good)
AMW2010
AG
Was not impressed one bit... I guess I'm in the minority here...
Simplebay
AG
I loved the 3:10 to Yuma remake. Mangold is good

Won't mention Knight and Day (I blame diaz and a boring 3rd act)...
fig96
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

TCTTS said:

I enjoy cinematography, cool looking setting and interesting stories and I didn't see that in the trailer. (Cinematography was good I guess, but that alone doesn't make a movie good)
Yeah, it was just kind of your typical aging borderline unkillable being living in a remote western home made of a giant old piece of abandoned equipment with his dying psychic mentor who's found an individual with the same healing abilities as the former.

Pretty standard stuff.
TCTTS
AG
Ha.

Seriously, this is such a great premise. Logan's powers are finally catching up to him in that he finally figured out who he is but has lived so long that everyone he's ever loved is dead, save for the Professor. They could have easily set this movie just after the events of Days of Future Past (the future part), and brought back more of the gang, but they instead jumped even farther into the future to focus almost exclusively on the key relationship of the entire franchise - Logan and Professor X. In that sense, there's this sad, bittersweet, melancholy quality to these glimpses that make the franchise feel truly epic. Just this trailer alone makes me retroactively appreciate the franchise more, one I've been down on since the third X-Men movie.

It's not the action I'm looking forward to, but the vibe of these scenes most of all, where these two characters seem to be reflective and content, if only for a brief moment...

I know it's literally only three shots, but for whatever reason, these split seconds of footage made me think, "Wow, this is a franchise 17 years in the making that is finally coming to an end." It feels like the last moments of true comradely and friendship before this all comes crashing down one last time, and I love that.

I also love that there are no other mutants flinging fireballs around or shapeshifting or whatever. I'm not only curious to learn what happened to them, but it makes it all feel grounded in a way these movies have never really been. It truly feels like the last chapter of a book, set far off into the future, and I wasn't expecting that sense of bittersweet finality at all. This trailer somehow manages to fill me with nostalgia for a franchise I never truly loved, without showing me a single shot from any of the past movies.

I think it's brilliant, and I never expected to be this excited for this movie, especially not because of the action, but because of the scenes in between the action.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.