Black Sails Season 4

6,456 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agfan2013
Gramercy Riffs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Couldn't be happier about Eleanor.
HtownAg92
AG
Eleanor death was unexpected, but meh. I do think her interactions with Flint this episode were her best since the beginning.

I do not think Madi is dead. TV show rule - didn't see the death, didn't happen. Plus...

Long John Silver is known to have a wife of African descent, per Treasure Island.

Thunder18
AG
My buddies think Billy (of all people) saved Madi, but I think they are raving loonies for even entertaining that idea
HtownAg92
AG
Spoilers:

We know that Billy lives, gets a map from Fllnt of where the treasure is supposedly buried, and ends up in London. Billy pays Jim Hawkins to keep an eye out for LJS, who he is terrified of to the point of lunacy. Could have something to do with the theory that Billy "saved" Madi. May have found her and kidnapped her, then sped off with LJS on his tail looking for revenge.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Just an fyi, the spoiler tag is "sp" instead of "spoiler".
Belton Ag
AG
Thunder18 said:

My buddies think Billy (of all people) saved Madi, but I think they are raving loonies for even entertaining that idea
I don't see that happening, either.

But I'm on board with the idea that Madi isn't dead and that she and LJS meet up at some point and they decide to give up the fight and run off together. Rackham and Flint will be killed at the end of the series, although for some reason I'm rooting for them to make it.

The historical Rackham was captured and hung, and his body was strung up on a small island at the entrance to the harbor at Port Royal, Jamaica as a warning to pirates. The island was renamed Rackham's Cay and can be visited today.
Centerpole90
AG
How many more episodes to tidy this up?
Gramercy Riffs
AG
four remaining, I think
oh no
AG
I'm sure I read it as a kid, but I don't remember much of the Treasure Island book that this show is setting up, and I sometimes get confused about which pirates are fictional book characters (Long John, Flint, etc.) and which characters in the show are based on real pirates, like Teach, Hornigold, Vane, and Rackham & Anne Bonny... but I love this show and how they tie it all in.
Centerpole90
AG
Thx. Look fwd to them.
Belton Ag
AG
So she is alive, and the fact that Billy used her to try and get revenge on the others must be why he was so frightened of Long John Silver at the beginning of the novel.
HtownAg92
AG
Good episode - the more Rackham the better. Loved the ego boost he got being mentioned in the same breath as Teach and Vane in pirate lore. Also showed some brass balls introducing himself to the rich merchants.

Eleanor's grandma is great. Reminds of Granny Tyrell in GOT.

So coming down to the wire we have conflicts between Flint and Silver, Flint and Rackham, Billy and everyone, everyone and Rogers. Lot's to resolve. Should be great.
Capstone
AG
So, is Skull Island going to be the same uncharted island where the treasure is buried in Treasure Island? Seems too coincidental not to be.

Only two episodes remaining - I'm going to miss this show.
RC_57
AG
Keep in mind this whole series is a prequel to Treasure Island
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I've been bored with the last four episodes, but that one brought me back just in time for the finale.
Thunder18
AG
Very good episode last night, should be a great finale
Belton Ag
AG
I was convinced that Flint was going to be killed at the end of the series, regardless of what the book said became of him, but now I'm not so sure. When Silver and Max were speaking at the beginning of the season of a plantation in the Americas where wealthy English families sent family members who've committed crimes or are an embarrassment to get rid of them, Silver stopped Max and said "What families?" I took that to mean he was going to see if Thomas Hamilton was there, either as leverage against Flint or as a way of helping him. Either way I wouldn't be surprised if Flint reunites with him at the end of the series. That would better follow what becomes of Flint as described in Treasure Island.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
We thought the same thing when Silver and Max had that conversation, and then it just never came up again. One more chance next week, I guess.
Centerpole90
AG
Rackham's response to everything is NAILS.

I am really going to miss this show.
dcAg
I'm going to miss the show too. Love Rackham and am hoping that he makes out the best of them all.

Kind of funny that they head to Skull Island. Was hoping Kong was going to jump out of the mountains...lol.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Kong = Skull Island

Black Sails (and Treasure Island, for that matter) = Skeleton Island
oh no
AG
Rackham is awesome. I'm watching Charles Vane in another show called "The 100" that has actually become a guilty pleasure show for me. Chick that plays Octavia in that show is incredible.
HtownAg92
AG
I am completely bummed that this show is coming to an end. Grew into one of my all time favorites, but that may be because I am a pirate nerd.

I could watch Flint and Silver talk for an entire episode and it would be great. The fighting practice flashback was fantastic. They could also base an entire series on Israel Hands and I would watch it.

In addition to being a great set up for the finale, I thought this was one of the most visually beautiful episodes ever.
dcAg
Did anyone notice a couple of episodes ago when Billy Bones was dragged into meet Rogers that he said he was Long John Silver?

Then a couple of sentences later he said he knew how to get to LJS and Flint.

Cant believe the editor missed that one.
Centerpole90
AG
Here was my take on that.

Billy was the one who 'created' LJS while Silver was away with Flint. When he asked if Rogers knew who he was (in the episode you referenced) Rogers replied 'part of LJS resistance' and Billy stated "I AM LJS" and went on to explain how he was the actual leader of the pirate rebellion. He did it to get Rogers to take him serious so he could go scorched earth on everyone.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
If I remember the conversation accurately at all, I don't believe that was an editing issue. It was very intentional. He said he was LJS to illustrate that LJS is an idea, a legend, and a motivation for the pirate revolution as much as LJS is an actual man himself, and that he (Billy) had done much of the work to make that so. Billy rallied the men, he created the legend, and he was every bit as valuable to Rodgers without actually being LJS. There was a little self preservation in making such a comment.

Basically:
"Are you LJS?"
"Sure. I mean I'm not, but I might as well be. I'm the guy behind the guy. But if it's the actual guy you're looking for, then yes, I can help you find him (and Flint)."
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Beat me to it while I was typing, but there it is... same idea.
agfan2013
AG
Speaking of Billy Bones, he was one of my favorite characters on the show until he turned traitor and was in the boat with the British picking pirates off in the water. Pirates rule!!!!
Thunder18
AG
Same here
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Couldn't have asked for a better ending. Tip of the cap to the writers - they did an outstanding job of wrapping it up.

And the fans who asked for Mary Read ending up getting their wish, even if it came with about 30 seconds to go!
Belton Ag
AG
Sad to see it go. Good ending and good setup for the book.
Centerpole90
AG
Also sad to see it go. Imho that was a quality series.
oh no
AG
Enjoyed it. What to replace it with?
Thunder18
AG
Overall a pretty excellent show, each season built momentum and they did a nice job of tying into the Treasure Island lore
Spaceball 1
AG
I havent been able to enjoy the show since the one hooker took over the brothel. I hate her character.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.