The Young Pope on HBO

11,499 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JCRiley09
JCRiley09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

I like it. At this point is Lenny just egomaniacal, actually trying to bring down the Vatican, or does he have legit "miraculous" powers? The 'roo thing and what Sister Mary started to say before he shushed her make me wonder about the "miraculous" angle.

I'm hooked, don't think I'll be watching with my Catholic wife though.
Something seems to have happened to convince Sister Mary that Lenny is a legit saint.
WES2006AG
AG
Second episode was better than the first. I am I am intrigued to see where this is going.
mazzag
AG
annie88 said:

G Martin 87 said:

Watched the first 20 minutes. Nope.
It actually got better towards the end, but totally get where you're coming from. I'm intrigued enough to watch a few more, but we'll see. I also took it that sister is his actual mother, but maybe not.

I took it that she was his mom too. Fascinating that she told Lenny to call her sister Mary, but she told the other boy it was ok to call her ma.
annie88
AG
powerbelly51 said:

kayakag said:

Is there any historical truth to this show? I just get jaded when Hollywood creates false narratives about my religion.

Let me know when HBO releases 10 shows about Muhammad or any other Islamic religious figure.
Someone gets offended about their religion being used by hollywood but doesn't even care enough about said religion to know its history.
Offended or not, it's still a true statement. Hollywood is scared ****less to delve much into Islam lately. Didn't used too, but now they're triggered.
G Martin 87
AG
The story of Muhammad, the clash between Mecca and Medina, and Muhammad's successors really would make a fascinating dramatic miniseries. If Reza Aslan's book "No god but God" is any indication, it could be done without causing either fainting spells in Hollywood or fatwas from fanatical Islamists.
Al Bula
AG
I like the show. The over-the-top stuff that constitutes Catholicism is pretty fascinating.
redline248
AG
So far I can't decide if I like this or not. It's so weird. I find it extremely unlikely that a man would be elected pope without anyone knowing anything about him. His speech to masses was terrible. I don't think he's a true believer.
mazzag
AG
redline248 said:

So far I can't decide if I like this or not. It's so weird. I find it extremely unlikely that a man would be elected pope without anyone knowing anything about him. His speech to masses was terrible. I don't think he's a true believer.

That's why I keep watching. How the heck did he become pope, especially over his mentor. I find this fascinating, even if unrealistic. Sister Mary seems to have planned this for a long time, too. I hope we see longer flashbacks. If he's not a true believer, he's lived his life as if he is. That's quite a sacrifice.
schmendeler
AG
redline248 said:

His speech to masses was terrible. I don't think he's a true believer.

He said he wasn't in the first episode. I don't buy that he was joking at all. Or if he does believe in god, it's in himself.
redline248
AG
schmendeler said:

redline248 said:

His speech to masses was terrible. I don't think he's a true believer.

He said he wasn't in the first episode. I don't buy that he was joking at all. Or if he does believe in god, it's in himself.

Exactly, I don't think he was joking at all. Just stating that for the sake of debate...there might be some who think he was joking.
Dave Robicheaux
AG
powerbelly51 said:

kayakag said:

Is there any historical truth to this show? I just get jaded when Hollywood creates false narratives about my religion.

Let me know when HBO releases 10 shows about Muhammad or any other Islamic religious figure.
Someone gets offended about their religion being used by hollywood but doesn't even care enough about said religion to know its history.

You missed the point home slice. Hollywood would not dare go against the Muslim religion and create the same type of Show.
powerbelly
AG
Dave Robicheaux said:

powerbelly51 said:

kayakag said:

You missed the point home slice. Hollywood would not dare go against the Muslim religion and create the same type of Show.
I didn't miss the point chief. When there are hundreds of thousands of Catholics ready to kill people in Hollywood for making fun of Jesus or the pope you will have an equivalent point. As it stands, Muslims are ready and have killed for making fun of Muhammed.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Hollywood would not dare go against the Muslim religion and create the same type of Show.

This idea that "Hollywood" is scared of Muslims is legit new to me. Where are you even getting this from?
schmendeler
AG
Dave Robicheaux said:

powerbelly51 said:

kayakag said:

Homeland? 24? Aren't there Muslim terrorists in both?
panhandlefarmer
AG
I think they tolerate shows showing Muslims as terrorists, but they wouldn't tolerate shows that they believe denigrate their religion or prophet.
BoxingAg84
No Episode 3 discussion?
mazzag
AG
I'm still watching but have no idea what to think. I feel sorry for the gin drinker. Seems he should just confess this to the pope vs being a snitch.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
I'm intrigued. As someone with a general dislike of authoritarian structure and rule, the idea of someone becoming Pope with the intent to bring down Rome is essentially the longest of "long cons". I say that because essentially you would have to dedicate an entire lifetime of deception to reach the Papacy, knowing that the once you were elected the Church's rules would basically make you untouchable (even as you attempted to burn the whole thing down).

That being said I'm not sure I really want the show to go that direction, and I'm more inclined to think at this point that he truly believes himself to be a demi-god.

Or, he is God.

Or, perhaps he's just egomaniacal and digs the power.

Or, I just have no clue what the hell is going on.
mazzag
AG
I think he's an egomaniac. Why did he join the seminary? He had a week off, he could have gone a different direction. What's the post powerful post in the world where there's no term limits? I think power is his orientation.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
mazzag said:

I'm still watching but have no idea what to think. I feel sorry for the gin drinker. Seems he should just confess this to the pope vs being a snitch.

I actually like the gin drinker. He seems to be one of the only decent people on the show (well him and that short fat Hispanic cardinal that looks like kinda like a troll).
mazzag
AG
I love squints. He's jovial.
TyHolden
AG
As a Catholic, this is pretty damn funny

schmendeler
AG
Episode four was on tonight
Teacher_Ag
AG
I guess I wouldn't make a very good pope, because I'd certainly allow Esther to donate her beauty to me. Twice.
La Fours
AG
How is it that no one has brought up the kangaroo?!?!? So funny. I laugh every time.
Al Bula
AG
This is an awesome piece of music!

Can't wait to go through the full soundtrack, also on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_OcomTs6Hr8kFwO67L5FHySZt6q9PEAX
schmendeler
AG
I have been liking the music
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

the idea of someone becoming Pope with the intent to bring down Rome is essentially the longest of "long cons". I say that because essentially you would have to dedicate an entire lifetime of deceptionto reach the Papacy,
Lloyd Christmas would do it.
mazzag
AG
So he's definitely anti-gay. I'm not catholic so I don't know if this is an issue with the Vatican. This series seems to say it's been ignored and now the new pope won't have it. I'm fascinated by voiello's lengths to save the church. Member vs edicts?
schmendeler
AG
It's strange to me that no one has brought up that all people sin and ask him why he's so concerned with people attracted to the same sex. If they aren't ****ing each other, then what's the big deal? Celibacy is celibacy gay or straight.
TXCityAggie
AG
I watched the first 4 episodes and I'm giving up. I just can't get into it. I'll follow this thread and if it picks up then maybe I will try again.
jkag89
Have watched through Episode 3. I thought they ruined a brilliant title sequence for the episode at the end, is there a purpose to knocking the figure of John Paul II on its side other than an extra jab at Catholic sensibilities?

Ol_Ag_02
AG
jkag89 said:

Have watched through Episode 3. I thought they ruined a brilliant title sequence for the episode at the end, is there a purpose to knocking the figure of John Paul II on its side other than an extra jab at Catholic sensibilities?

Because he's the anti-JP II. He's not about outreach to Jews, muslims, and the orthodox, or even the laity (through making mass more open to the assembly).

He's specifically said "when was the church the most powerful? When it was accepting and full of forgiveness, or feared?" (Paraphrasing). It's a silly visual but highly symbolic of what he plans to do as Pope.

Honestly, as much as this show displays sin, deception, and backstabbing occurring at the Vatican I find it odd that that the JPII visual is what bothers you enough to mention.
jkag89
Quote:

Honestly, as much as this show displays sin, deception, and backstabbing occurring at the Vatican I find it odd that that the JPII visual is what bothers you enough to mention.
Not saying there isn't politics and power plays at the Vatican but the show is fiction and I knew going in it was not likely going to be kind to the Church. On the other hand JPII is a real and beloved figure although your explanation for the visual makes sense reconsidering the gist of the story for the third episode.
unimboti nkum
AG
I'm loving this show. Jude Law is quite impressive.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.