The Young Pope on HBO

11,414 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JCRiley09
Inspector Spacetime
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmendeler said:

It's strange to me that no one has brought up that all people sin and ask him why he's so concerned with people attracted to the same sex. If they aren't ****ing each other, then what's the big deal? Celibacy is celibacy gay or straight.
I'm a little rusty in my Catholic upbringing, but if I remember correctly the sex ed classes given by my church, it's adultery just to have impure thoughts about another woman. So, pretty sure I can extrapolate that out to gay thoughts being a sin, regardless of acts.
schmendeler
AG
Inspector Spacetime said:

schmendeler said:

It's strange to me that no one has brought up that all people sin and ask him why he's so concerned with people attracted to the same sex. If they aren't ****ing each other, then what's the big deal? Celibacy is celibacy gay or straight.
I'm a little rusty in my Catholic upbringing, but if I remember correctly the sex ed classes given by my church, it's adultery just to have impure thoughts about another woman. So, pretty sure I can extrapolate that out to gay thoughts being a sin, regardless of acts.
to be consistent, he'd have to only have asexual priests, then.
mazzag
AG
Well that speech was trumpesque?
Ol_Ag_02
AG
So apparently he is legit. We've seen two miracles so far, possibly a third. I'm interested to see what he does to the Shepard.
WES2006AG
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

So apparently he is legit. We've seen two miracles so far, possibly a third. I'm interested to see what he does to the Shepard.
Maybe I am too cynical to see them, what miracles are you referring to?
La Fours
AG
Getting Esther pregnant and whatever happened with the custodian of the monastery's wife?
Robert C. Christian
AG
Also, he got the kangaroo to jump.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
He made the flower bloom. Not sure about the custodians wife. Don't remember that.
WES2006AG
AG
La Fours said:

Getting Esther pregnant and whatever happened with the custodian of the monastery's wife?
I guess this is part of the reason I can't believe in god. Those things may seem like miracles to some of you but there also seems to be MANY other ways to explain what has happened.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
It's a TV show, brah.
mazzag
AG
I think the first miracle shown on the show was releasing the kangaroo from the crate without getting killed. The second is the pregnancy and the 3rd is from his past.
WES2006AG
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

It's a TV show, brah.
I understand that. I am just looking at this through a different lens. I saw all of those things happen and didn't for a second think they were miracles, it didn't even cross my mind until I read this thread. It certainly changes the show a little if they are trying to portray the pope as someone with the power to make miracles happen.
schmendeler
AG
i think in the show, they could be miracles or not. we don't really know, and I think that's intentional.
La Fours
AG
Another incident that isn't really a miracle, but alludes to him having greater powers is the rain stopping when first addressed the public after being named pope. IIRC, as he stepped on the balcony to speak, the rain stopped and then once he finished, it started raining again.
schmendeler
AG
La Fours said:

Another incident that isn't really a miracle, but alludes to him having greater powers is the rain stopping when first addressed the public after being named pope. IIRC, as he stepped on the balcony to speak, the rain stopped and then once he finished, it started raining again.
wasn't that a dream?
WES2006AG
AG
schmendeler said:

La Fours said:

wasn't that a dream?
It was. That was the speech where he told people to use contraception, have abortions, etc...
JJxvi
AG
In his real speech the opposite happened he got angry and left and a thunderstorm erupted.
La Fours
AG
I guess I didn't remember correctly.
TyHolden
AG
Anybody watch tonight? I didn't see that coming...
jkag89
Waiting for a Young Pope
by Matthew Schmitz - First Things

Quote:

The Young Pope, HBO's series about an arch-reactionary successor to Pope Francis, is often boring and occasionally blasphemous, but its images are splendid: Jude Law, dressed in papal white, reclining with a cigarette, as menacing as Joseph Cotten in Shadow of a Doubt. Jude Law, standing on the sedia gestatoria, arms outstretched like Pius XII. Jude Law, celebrating the Tridentine Rite as if Paul VI had never reigned.

Each of these images affords the thrill of transgression. Just as AMC's Mad Men offered its viewers the frisson of watching natty and unpleasant people smoke and drink in the office (a relief from casual Fridays, anti-smoking campaigns, and corporate sponsorship of every enlightened cause), The Young Pope depicts a Church that no longer seeks the favor of the worldand is all the more fabulous for it.
I could never get into Mad Men either. No matter how beautifully shot or how well acted, I guess I can't get myself to care enough about the story when everyone is so "unpleasant." I haven't been able to finish the forth episode after a number of attempts now.
JCRiley09
AG
I really like this show. I find the characters well developed and fascinating. The most recent episode in Africa was fantastic.

With this being a limited series, I'm guessing that the young pope's reign will be concluded in the final episode. It will be interesting to see how that happens. I doubt it's "and then Lenny lived happily ever after."
Ol_Ag_02
AG
I find the cinematography amazing with this show, and it always keeps my interest. Since I bailed on Taboo this is the only thing I'm watching right now and it doesn't disappoint.

While I don't think Lenny resigns something will happen to end his papacy I'm guessing in the last
episode. But at least now we know he's "legit" since he's ordering down heartattacks at this point.
Robert C. Christian
AG
JCRiley09 said:

I really like this show. I find the characters well developed and fascinating. The most recent episode in Africa was fantastic.

With this being a limited series, I'm guessing that the young pope's reign will be concluded in the final episode. It will be interesting to see how that happens. I doubt it's "and then Lenny lived happily ever after."

I was was more interested in how the would wrap it up because it was a limited series. Then I read that the show has been renewed for a second season. Still could end bad for Lenny, but knowing if I stick with it it means committing to another season I may drop.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm hanging in, but admit that I tend to drift off to check my iphone/ipad quite a bit with this show.
claym711
AG
This show is fascinating, and honestly, one of the few where the symbology, psychology, etc., sometimes eludes me.

It is so well done in so many aspects. The acting is some of the best on any series out, great music, beautiful images, extremely interesting dialogue.

I haven't yet completely connected the dots between Lenny's abandonment and parental issues, his relationship with God, and the role of the Church - and how that relates to us and our society. A lot of family issues at play here between God, Lenny, Lenny's parents, Michael, Mary, and his orphan brother.

One prediction, The handicapped boy the Sec of State cares for has a moment of clarity provided by Lenny, and the boy shatters Sec of State's world.
bert harbinson
AG
Did everyone bail? This show seems to be losing viewers at a rate proportionate to the killing off of Cardinals.
Episode 9 shows Pius as both more human and more Divine. And you can't help but root for Gutierrez who diligently slogs his way through his detestable assignment.
This show seems to accelerate time with little if any explanation or acknowledgement.
Last episode of season 1 tonight.
mazzag
AG
I'm still watching. The obese woman confuses me. And yes they definitely accelerate time. Little Pius is 2?
Teacher_Ag
AG
Dafuq?
Wes97
AG
Teacher_Ag said:

Dafuq?

Yeah. That about sums it up.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I stuck with this thing to the end, but I have zero interest in Season 2 if they end up going there.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
So...... He's dead, right?. I enjoyed this and hope there is no second season, it's not needed.
claym711
AG
Second season was reportedly already booked.
JCRiley09
AG
That was strange.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.