War For The Planet of The Apes

20,466 Views | 162 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GoAgs92
CrazyDayDuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Living Legend said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

TCTTS said:

Batman Begins >>>>> The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Returns >>>>>> The Dark Knight Rises
Dark Knight Rises was the best one in my opinion.
Come on man. The Dark Knight was tops.

Heath Ledger's performance was incredible.
CrazyDayDuck
War for the Planet of the Apes brought in 5 mil last night and is projected to make between 60-65 mil this weekend.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-box-office-opening-thursday-1202495547/
TCTTS
AG
In all my years on this board, I don't think I've ever seen someone so weirdly and so insistently defend a movie like this. The lengths you have gone to over the past month to seek out and call out people who aren't head-over-heels in love with Wonder Woman is so... strange.

I wasn't "dissing" Wonder Woman. It's a perfectly adequate summer blockbuster and I'm happy for its success. It literally just didn't even cross my mind when typing that paragraph.

I'm sorry you need everyone else to love something as much you do in order to feel validated in your opinion.
Sex Panther
AG
Wonder Woman sucked
Urban Ag
AG
nm

testing spoiler tags

this movie was just okay for me
FL_Ag1998
AG
I can't figure out if Crazy DayDuck is a feminist defending Wonder Woman with such zeal because she sees imaginary sexism at play anytime Wonder Woman isn't mentioned as the greatest movie ever...or they're just plain crazy.

Then again, I guess that statement was redundant. Either way this is one of the more bizarre cases I've seen in my time on texags.
3rd and 2
AG
Why the poop did we get deviated to Wonder Woman?

Did y'all notice that the little girl, Nova, was the same little girl from the Charlton Heston movie? Also, what happened to Keri russel and her family? That all got swept under the rug conveniently, huh?
TCTTS
AG
They didn't get "swept under the rug." They left the area at the end of the last movie. Their story is "over."
TajMaballer
AG
I loved it! Did anyone else get a western vibe in this?

Also, after these last two ape movies, I can't wait for Batman (if Reeves stays on).
Jack Thauer
AG
Worst movie experience of the year hands down even thought the film was great. Was really looking for forward to this one and was one of my most anticipated summer flicks.

Multiple people brought young/infant children and then were all clearly shaken up by some of the scenes.

Got so bad (talking, crying, etc) that I got up to inorm the employees. They did nothing. They were all in the front so I assume they were together or just didn't reserve seats and got stuck together with seats nobody likes.

I wasn't the only one that complained. After the movie I went back again, asked why nothing was done and demanded a refund, which they gave me.

Crappy, no good parents just HAD to see it opening night. Next time hire a damn baby sitter. It was clearly not age appropriate for your 2/3 year olds.
TCTTS
AG
Babies should be banned from all movie theaters, and there is zero excuse for brining a young child to a PG-13 movie like this. If you can't afford a babysitter you shouldn't go to the movies. It's as simple as that.

Sorry to hear it was such a crappy experience.
Urban Ag
AG
So Planet of the Apes is not really of interest to me. Saw the first two when they made their rounds to HBO. Thought the second was better than the first. Good, not great, but whatever.

My sons really wanted to see this so I took them tonight along with a friend. They loved it. Honestly, I am not even sure what I thought of it. Right out of the gates it was great. Then it really bogged down for me. The final act was pretty damn good I admit. I can't say it was good enough to get me in the feels but it was good.

I will say this. The CGI is exactly as TCCTS stated some time ago in regards to the trailer. Simply amazing. Bravo. They actually trained apes to act well done.

Overall it was pretty much how I felt about TFA. Good, entertaining, endearing, but not great. I'll go to spoiler tags now.

My problem with this film is that the middle movie seemed very lazy and uninspired to me from a writers perspective. What was the real purpose of Cesar leaving his people on a revenge mission? Makes no sense other than to set up the third act which could have been just as easily done if Cesar had been captured with his people as opposed to being on his suicide/revenge mission. Next, the way that Nova was able to move in and out of what was supposed to be a secure military compound with hard core bad asses defending it was lame. Further, and it got even more lame, the fact that some 200+ apes in the concentration camp prison only have a mere one freaking sentry watching over them (at time of escape) was just eye rolling dumb. Or even that said sentry would have gone in the prison cell, alone, with some hundred or more apes, ridiculous. And then, no one even knows that a couple hundred apes have escaped until crossbow guy notices the next morning when the other Army groups attacks? Come on man.

I know we have to suspend reality, it' sci-fi, it's talking apes, I get it. But that all just seemed lazy to me. So much incredible movie making here only to be tainted by some really half ass mechanics to work through the plot.

Good movie. Could have been epic. Wasn't. two cents.

Muy
AG
Took my younger son last night to the Plano West Cinemark. It's all luxury loungers and reserved seats which is great. When we got there, another dad and his son were sitting in our seats so I politely said "I believe these are our seats", thinking he probably hasn't been here before and doesn't know.

Instead, the dude nonchalantly says "yeah, he wanted to sit here instead, but if it's a big deal to you the we'll move". ********.

Told him I'd try and find another seat for us as I could tell his son was embarrassed. Unfortunately, the other seats we grabbed were (expectedly) someone else's, so when they walked up, we gave them back and went back to our original seats. The dad got up and told me he was going to complain to the manager about "this whole reserved seating thing". Lol.

Really enjoyed the movie, but since everyone here is already breaking down the details of the story, figure my lame-as story would be as entertaining.
TCTTS
AG
WTF is wrong with people? Ha, I seriously would have paid to listen to that dad's complaint to management about reserved seating.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Sheesh that guy seems like an insufferable loser.
BEaggie08
AG
TCTTS said:

Babies should be banned from all movie theaters, and there is zero excuse for brining a young child to a PG-13 movie like this. If you can't afford a babysitter you shouldn't go to the movies. It's as simple as that.

I can't blue star this enough. There is a Regal nearby where I live. It doesn't have reserved seating, so I already loathe going there, but sometimes the times work better there or I have some free tickets. Never freaking fails. Babies and toddlers everywhere. I saw Deadpool there a couple of years ago. A freaking group with like 5 kids under the age of 8 sat directly behind us, talking and kicking our seats the entire time. Who in the hell takes little kids to an R rated film?

Now, it's Drafthouse or bust. They don't put up with that shiz.
Objective Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Ag Since 83
AG
This is a good movie, but I think it's a step down from the previous entries in the franchise. It's the longest of the films and definitely feels like it drags on a bit.

I think the movie suffers a bit from Caesar not having a human adult to have some sort of bond with like Franco/Clarke in the previous films. But what really lessened the movie in my eyes is as said earlier, the security at that facility was a joke. Little girl walks right through the perimeter and then into the cage part of the base (including passing through the middle of a roaming security spotlight), where she walks back and forth between the cages without getting noticed. And then later when the tunnel is going to flood the apes are like "we'll have to rescue the children above ground" and ask "but how?" I don't know, maybe just walk around since it's pretty clear nobody is paying attention. Unless you throw feces at them first.

Overall I still Ike the movie, because it continues the exploration of the ape society in an interesting way. Caesar is like Dom "Family" Torretto with actual character development. But man, that sequence in the third act bugged me.

I still don't really understand how something can rise before it dawns, but Dawn is the best movie in my opinion, while Rise is barely above this one.
BassCowboy33
ATM1876 said:

This was my second most-anticipated movie of the summer behind Dunkirk, so much so that I took the morning off and was at the local 9:15 am showing ($5.79 ticket!). I've seen all of the highly-reviewed big budget summer movies with the exception of Spiderman and this was my favorite thus far.

Just from a technological filmmaking perspective, I'm amazed at how real these apes are on the big screen. This is CGI done right, and those close-ups of the apes' faces are the main reason why you connect with them so deeply. If there's any other movie that draws you into its CGI characters better than these do I don't know what it is. The effects are so well done that I honestly couldn't tell if some of the horses they were riding were real or also CGI (although I suspect they were real since the apes were motion-captured).

That being said, I did have a few qualms with the actual story. The movie starts out great with an intense battle in the forest between ape and man, but that's the largest one that they end up having. For a movie titled "War for the Planet of the Apes" I was hoping that there would be a climatic battle between the two species. Instead, the apes end up spending a lot of time in a work concentration camp (building a border wall, ha!) and the main battle ends up being mostly in the background between two warring factions of human soldiers. I thought that was odd and a missed opportunity for a truly epic conclusion. The avalanche was awesome but also a convenient way to quickly sweep away the surviving humans.

For those who have seen it, what are your thoughts on Nova not dying from the mutated strain of the simian flu? She seemed near death when they found her and her contaminated doll killed off Colonel Woody pretty quickly. The only thing that I can think of is that the apes produce some kind of antibody that jumped to her when they took her in. I like the idea that the key to human survival was living with the apes instead of killing them.

ETA after thinking about it more, it's entirely possible that I missed that the mutated strain isn't fatal and only causes you to lose your speech. I can't remember the details that were mentioned so if anybody caught it I would appreciate a clarification.

Looking forward to reading what others thought about it.

Nova doesn't die. She's the human that Taylor finds when he returns to earth. By that time she's full grown and the apes have begun enslaving humans. I'm interested to see how the series moves in that direction. Caesar's son, Cornelius, eventually takes over leadership, so I imagine that he is the opposite of his father. What we are looking at here is a condensed universe that modifies the PoA timeline into a more condensed version. This will all likely have to happen in a timespan of 30-40 years. In the original, humans have lost the ability to speak, so he mutated flu explains that. I don't think it kills them.
Living Legend
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

Living Legend said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

TCTTS said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually thought Tom Hardy's performance as bane was more impressive than Ledgers.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Living Legend said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

Living Legend said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

TCTTS said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually thought Tom Hardy's performance as bane was more impressive than Ledgers.

wtf?
Noblemen06
AG
Living Legend said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

Living Legend said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

TCTTS said:

Ag Since 83
AG
Living Legend said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

Living Legend said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

TCTTS said:

TP Ag '87
AG
Admit I haven't read this whole thread but think this movie looks cool. Do I need to have watched previous in the series to get/appreciate this one?
wangus12
AG
Living Legend said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

Living Legend said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

TCTTS said:

Pretty sure there is the minority and the single genetix anomaly that is unlike any other
3rd and 2
AG
What's a BIL??
Josepi
AG
Brother in-law
Buck O Five
AG
Living Legend said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

Living Legend said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

TCTTS said:

I respect most opinions.

This is not one.
TCTTS
AG
That was straight up Biblical. Old Testament style. The Ten Commandments meets The Great Escape; a homerun concept, but one that I never thought would work so phenomenally well in a freaking Planet of the Apes movie, of all movies.

That said, as a whole, I'd still probably put Dawn just slightly above it. Only slightly, though. But it's worth noting that there are a handful of moments and sequences in this one that rise far above anything this series has ever done.

I do agree, however, with what one poster mentioned earlier in that it needed more "good" humans for Caesar / the apes to interact with. Or just any adult humans outside of the military. And that's something I never thought I'd say. Actually, let me rephrase that... the story the filmmakers chose to tell was executed about as well as it possibly could be. But the one thing noticeably absent this go around was some kind of adult human protagonist. I totally get the evolution toward a more apes-centric film, but it definitely took some getting used to for the first act or so.

Still, what an experience. Just an amazing blockbuster experience with a hell of a satisfying ending. One the all-around best trilogies of all time.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Think I went in with too high of expectations. I can appreciate this one, but Dawn was far better

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.