War For The Planet of The Apes

20,400 Views | 162 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GoAgs92
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I look forward to seeing how they take it from where it is now to apes enslaving and exterminating the human race (when Taylor returns).
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I thought it was ok.

My single gripe, as others have mentioned, was how terrible the military's security was.
First, the Apes sneak in and out of that military encampment that was surrounded by clear fields with no problem. This bugged me a little, but I was willing to let it go once.
Second, the Apes race to follow the military on horseback in easy view of the humans. If a single one had turned around to look behind them, they'd all be dead, which irked me again.
Third, Caesar gets jumped twice by perimeter security at the mountain base. Nice! All is forgiven.
And then there's never an iota of competent security again.
Little girl walks into, around and out of the military base without ever being spotted. Apes constantly watching from within eyesight on the base's fringe, all the little Apes escape on the wire and drop down into the captive pen without anyone once glancing into the pens to see something is amiss, etc. I just couldn't get over how ridiculous it was that the little girl walked in and out of the base without being spotted. For me, it was just a total immersion breaker.
Not a complaint, but I also feel like they got the names of these movies all backwards. The 2nd one had more war between humans and apes than this one did.
Thanks and gig'em
Living Legend
AG
Buck O Five said:

Living Legend said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

Living Legend said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

TCTTS said:

Batman Begins >>>>> The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Returns >>>>>> The Dark Knight Rises
Dark Knight Rises was the best one in my opinion.
Come on man. The Dark Knight was tops.

Heath Ledger's performance was incredible.
I know I'm in the minority, but I actually thought Tom Hardy's performance as bane was more impressive than Ledgers.

I respect most opinions.

This is not one.

If Tom Hardy died then he would've gotten an oscar for his performance...
TCTTS
AG
Dude.
maca1028
BassCowboy33 said:

I look forward to seeing how they take it from where it is now to apes enslaving and exterminating the human race (when Taylor returns).

I might be wrong but I think that's a wrap on this trilogy.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Living Legend said:

Buck O Five said:

Living Legend said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

Living Legend said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

TCTTS said:

Batman Begins >>>>> The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Returns >>>>>> The Dark Knight Rises
Dark Knight Rises was the best one in my opinion.
Come on man. The Dark Knight was tops.

Heath Ledger's performance was incredible.
I know I'm in the minority, but I actually thought Tom Hardy's performance as bane was more impressive than Ledgers.

I respect most opinions.

This is not one.

If Tom Hardy died then he would've gotten an oscar for his performance...

Such a stupid post.
Bruce Almighty
AG
maca1028 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

You're wrong.
TexAgs91
AG
Hint to military. Use heat sensing IR goggles. It'll be like shooting ducks in a barrel.
Don't surround yourself with your enemy to the point they outnumber you. It's not going to work.
If an ape throws **** at you, shoot him from your guard tower instead of walking into their cage.
If you have the ape leader, put him in solitary confinement or kill him if you're not being watch by other apes.
Instead of telling the ape leader all your secrets, get his secrets.

And no, the avalanche didn't wipe out the other army. They quickly entered their vehicles. The guys with shovels dug out first and rescued the rest.

BassCowboy33
maca1028 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.denofgeek.com/us/movies/planet-of-the-apes/259160/planet-of-the-apes-4-already-planned
Hulla Baller
AG
So is this one any better than the last one? I didn't really care for the last movie.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I preferred the second one.
Thanks and gig'em
benchmark
AG
Wife and I went. That's 2 hours we'll never get back. Not near as good as the first two in the series. Ape touchy-feely good. Man psycho bad. That's about it.
Cancelled
AG
There's just something these films will never attain that we saw in the originals. Maybe it was the weird 1960s cold war fear. I liked the first one with Franco, but the second one was pretty lame. I doubt I will see this one.
CrazyDayDuck
benchmark said:

Wife and I went. That's 2 hours we'll never get back. Not near as good as the first two in the series. Ape touchy-feely good. Man psycho bad. That's about it.
I was like that at first. I was thinking, "How did this get a 94 on Rotten Tomatoes"?

It was much like Avatar (the bleeding heart crap with white soldiers as the bad guys). As a former Army guy that kind of irritates me.

Then I think, these writers are largely liberal pansies with no actual military experience.

Once I was able to engage my suspension of disbelief (like I was with Avatar) and see the apes as the sympathetic protagonists, I was able to enjoy the flick. Woody Harrelson was greatness in the flick...as was Maurice (the Orangutan).

My 20 year old daughter walked out with a WTF look on her face though.
CrazyDayDuck
queso1 said:

There's just something these films will never attain that we saw in the originals.
It's the originality.

Those of us that saw Star Wars in '77 had our minds blown. It was a totally new world with new characters and incredible special effects.

Likewise, we all had a wtf experience along with Taylor when we were watching Planet of the Apes for the first time.

This is why we hold originals in higher regard than remakes and reboots.

I'm quite familiar with Beauty and the Beast. I saw Guardians just three years ago. I've seen a lot of Superman, Batman and Spiderman movies.

I know we all like to rip on Suicide Squad but at least the characters were new to me. I liked getting acquainted with Deadshot and Harley Quinn...especially Harley Quinn.

I think this is why Wonder Woman did so well in the box office. We haven't seen WW since Linda Carter back in the late 70s.
CorpsAg11
AG
Just saw this. Outstanding movie. I can't even begin to describe how much i loved it.
TCTTS said:

That said, as a whole, I'd still probably put Dawn just slightly above it. Only slightly, though. But it's worth noting that there are a handful of moments and sequences in this one that rise far above anything this series has ever done.

So true. Basically every moment with Nova was amazing. She kind of stole the show, for me. The scenes where Caesar had a gun to his head and then was holding a gun to the Colonel's head... awesome. Caesars final moments of reflection.... perfection.
Those moments put it ahead of Dawn and Rise for me.
johnnyblaze36
AG
benchmark said:

I only watched the second one and then the new one. Thought the second one was more entertaining and I can't stand huge blockbusters (think all of the Transformers movies and whatever else comes to mind) but enjoyed this.

Story was average but man, the level of cinematography and CGI are as phenomenal as I've seen.

Take it fwiw but I also thought the recent King Arthur was great in theaters and am usually pretty picky about new big money releases. I guess I could have spent those two hours playing nine or at the bar but walked out pretty satisfied.

edit: 7.5/10
COOL LASER FALCON
I wish I could put my finger on what makes these movies so GD good. At one point, there was a monkey holding his poo, and I was completely on the edge of my seat, despite fully knowing how silly that was.

The story wasn't as strong in this one as the previous two, but I still loved it. Drives me crazy that I can't get people to go see these movies.
The Anchor
AG
This was the worst one of the series. I almost fell asleep in the middle of it. I had to get up and walk around. It was WAY too slow. It wasn't a bad movie, it just didn't keep my attention. The other ones were much better.
John 14:6
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Finally got around to seeing this earlier today. I loved the opening of this movie, from the verbiage setting things up and including the primary words (Rise, Dawn and War) of this series' titles through that initial attack on the apes' lair.

From there it kinda dragged for me. At some point I was having to fight to keep myself awake. Then it got interesting again for the third act, but as others have pointed out, a lot of that was pretty weak (regarding the lack of security at that military compound).

At the end I really wanted to see a streak of light go across the sky, signifying the return of astronaut Taylor to planet Earth, but no, that would not fit the time line so probably a good thing that didn't happen.

All in all, this was a mostly enjoyable movie. I liked it about as much as the previous two.
snowdog90
Saw it... I don't understand all the over-the-top glowing reviews for this movie. It was okay, but... In this thread people want the dude playing Ceasar to get an Oscar. Just no. He was okay, but... And the rave reviews for the CGI. Again, it was okay, but I was much less distracted by the CGI in the second one. I might have enjoyed this more if I hadn't heard how "amazing" it was.

Steve Zahn, though, showed again how underrated and awesome he is. His character was easily the best part of the movie.
CorpsAg11
AG
What?! Did you even see the movie?? I could understand criticising the storyline but how could anyone criticise the CGI? It's among the best I've ever seen. Could you specify which aspect of the CGI you found "distracting"?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Finally watched this.

Enjoyed this movie, but for whatever reason I felt like it was a bit too manipulative at times. The music felt a little too "on the nose" at certain times. Especially the emotional scenes. Did Giacchino do the previous two?

Also, a little disappointed with how little "war" there actually was. There was not even a battle between apes and humans except the opening scene. And when other humans finally do show up, an avalanche kills them all. So pretty anticlimactic in that regard. (And the Colonel's death, kinda meh on that as well.)

But still an entertaining movie that is better than 90% of blockbusters. Amazing CGI, and Andy Serkis excellent as always. Steve Zahn was also fantastic.

May be the weakest of the trilogy for me, but that is hardly a knock on it.
GoAgs92
AG
Worst of the trilogy.

the CGI seems to have gotten worse.

I did like the plot about the humans no longer talking which explained why woody was so crazy.

overall worth watching but barely.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.