War For The Planet of The Apes

20,321 Views | 162 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GoAgs92
$240 Worth of Pudding
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Can't freaking wait!!
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
Damn, dirty apes!
TAMU_91
AG
I'd probably be more stoked about this one if it hadn't just dropped on the heels of the Spider-Man trailer.
COOL LASER FALCON
I know these movies have done pretty well at the box office and critically, but I still think this is a really underrated franchise. Both probably up there on my list of best movies from the past 5 years.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
The first two were incredible, the second in particular.
I'm very excited about this one. I do have to admit though that I groaned a bit when I saw Harrelson in it. Maybe he'll be great in it. I'll hold out hope.
wangus12
AG
I honestly have yet to see either of them in their entirety. The parts I've seen have been awesome, but for some reason, I've never sat down and watched them all the way through. Really need to do it.
AgMarauder04
AG
Are they painting the humans as bad guys? I mean, what's the end game?
boogieman
AG
COOL LASER FALCON said:

I know these movies have done pretty well at the box office and critically, but I still think this is a really underrated franchise. Both probably up there on my list of best movies from the past 5 years.
That looks great.

I also agree with CL Falcon. Underrated franchise. I've enjoyed both of the other movies
AccountantAg
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

The first two movies had one bad ape, Koba, and Caesar took him out. I'd say this is the first of the 3 where there is a legit conflict between ape/human.

The first movie, humans tried to kill the apes while they were just trying to escape.

Second one was where Koba manipulated the apes into fighting. Wouldn't have happened if he hadn't attempted to kill Caesar.

Wouldn't be surprised if it is portrayed in a way where the apes are the protagonist....certainly what it looked like in the preview.
hurleyag
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

No joke. Instead of just the conflict, they make the humans appear to be neo-nazis.
Fenrir
At one point in the trailer it looks like a gorilla and some soldiers are fighting together when the helicopter attacks...? Might be 2 human factions then?
gigemJTH12
AG
COOL LASER FALCON said:

how many are there before this one? 2?
COOL LASER FALCON
Yes. Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

I think it's technically a reboot of the series, but it's really a defacto prequel.
Cancelled
AG
So does Marky Mark bang an ape in this one?

TCTTS
AG
This looks phenomenal. The second movie, in particular, was one of the best blockbusters I've seen in years, and this one seems to be picking up right where it left of, with the same creative team back. Cannot wait.

Quote:

Planet of the Apes. As stated above, these three movies are a soft-reboot / prequel to the original. So of course the end game is no more humans.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Rise OTPOTA
93M budget
176M domestic and 482 total Worlwide

Dawn OTPOTA
170M budget
208 domestic and 710M total worldwide

they did very well.

Not sure what War's budget is...I gotta believe its gonna be a $200M+ budget....

Even at that it would need just $600ish worldwide to break even with marketing and distribution figured in. That seems doable based on it's track record and with a bankable Woody added. 700-800 million isn't unreasonable even for the third installment.

TCTTS
AG
Agreed, but the problem might be its release date. It's sandwiched directly between Spider-Man: Homecoming the week before and Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk the week after. Then again, August is pretty bare right now so they should all have room to breathe for a while. Would love for this to be a massive success.
toucan82
Is there an ape on horseback firing a machine gun?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

Agreed, but the problem might be its release date. It's sandwiched directly between Spider-Man: Homecoming the week before and Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk the week after. Then again, August is pretty bare right now so they should all have room to breathe for a while. Would love for this to be a massive success.

meh......i hated the last few Spidermans.....probably won't even go.

Dunkirk...well I have enough budget, attention span and bandwidth for multiple summer movies. Most do. But thats an odd release date for a epic war drama. who knows. I'll see both for sure.
wesag
AG
queso1 said:

So does Marky Mark bang an ape in this one?

I'm kind of worn out on his acting parts.
AgMarauder04
AG
TCTTS said:

This looks phenomenal. The second movie, in particular, was one of the best blockbusters I've seen in years, and this one seems to be picking up right where it left of, with the same creative team back. Cannot wait.

Quote:

Planet of the Apes. As stated above, these three movies are a soft-reboot / prequel to the original. So of course the end game is no more humans.
I dunno, some actual conflicted grey so there isn't a clear right and wrong would be so much more compelling. Humans are basically extinct anyway.

MAybe something along the lines of humans within the ranks coming to terms with the apes and rebelling against their commander
TCTTS
AG
You're jumping to conclusions based on a little over a minute of footage. The last two movies have handled "conflicted grey" perfectly so why would this one suddenly not? These movies have always had both "bad humans" and "good humans." Granted, this one is definitely more of a war movie, and the lines seem to be more clearly defined, but Matt Reeves is smart enough to handle the subject with care and subtly when it needs it.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Saw the first one and thought it was really good. I have yet to see the second and I cannot figure out why I never bothered to see it. This third one looks pretty good as well. Guess I need to get that second one on a TV screen near me.
AgMarauder04
AG
TCTTS said:

You're jumping to conclusions based on a little over a minute of footage. The last two movies have handled "conflicted grey" perfectly so why would this one suddenly not? These movies have always had both "bad humans" and "good humans." Granted, this one is definitely more of a war movie, and the lines seem to be more clearly defined, but Matt Reeves is smart enough to handle the subject with care and subtly when it needs it.
I guess it's more of a concern than a prediction. I obviously don't have the familiarity with the industry you do, but I just am hoping this one hasn't turned into a "humans are evil and apes are good" that it makes the trailer look like. That's all
Sex Panther
AG
Quote:

meh......i hated the last few Spidermans.....probably won't even go

Not to hijack, but this is a new reboot of Spider-Man, and has nothing to do with the others.

I get that some may be tired of Spider-Man, but this is significant because he's going home to Marvel. Hence why he's hanging out with Tony Stark and The Avengers.
Jim01
AG
Agree that the first two were some of the better blockbusters in recent years. This one looks good as well.

My one small critique would be Harrelson's line "This will be a planet of apes." Using the title of the movie in dialogue is always a bit corny to me.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Sex Panther said:

Quote:

Not to hijack, but this is a new reboot of Spider-Man, and has nothing to do with the others.

I get that some may be tired of Spider-Man, but this is significant because he's going home to Marvel. Hence why he's hanging out with Tony Stark and The Avengers.

Oh yeah.... I forgot about that....he was funny in that Avengers sequel.....hmmm. o k i might reconsider.

TCTTS
AG
Jim01 said:

Agree that the first two were some of the better blockbusters in recent years. This one looks good as well.

My one small critique would be Harrelson's line "This will be a planet of apes." Using the title of the movie in dialogue is always a bit corny to me.
Yeah, I have to admit that line was kind of dumb.
dcaggie04
AG
Quote:

MAybe something along the lines of humans within the ranks coming to terms with the apes and rebelling against their commander
Near the end of the trailer, it shows some humans fighting back with an ape on the platform with them as the are getting shot at by the chopper. So, it looks like you may see that.
Say Chowdah
AG
Looks really unbelievable (if you suspend any rationality surrounding talking apes, that is). The apes would be outgunned and slaughtered.

There'd better be a nuclear meltdown to end this attack or the implausibility of a group of rebels holding up in the forest vs even a single Army combat brigade seems rather ridiculous.

Sex Panther
AG
Nobody mean mugs like Caesar
redline248
AG
It always seemed weird watching these movies and rooting for the apes to win...
Duncan Idaho
99% of humanity has been wipe out from the pandemic thst started in the first one. The army would be nothing more than a militia like the ones in countless post nuclear/apocalypse movies.

GiveEmHellBill
AG
TCTTS said:

Jim01 said:

Yeah, I have to admit that line was kind of dumb.
But was it a clear and present danger to the humans?
wesag
AG
Sex Panther said:

Quote:

Well that makes all the difference

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.