Game of Thrones - Season 7

1,124,514 Views | 7206 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
Goose06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jaime also fights breanne and then their captors but he was not at his best strength in any of those battles. I wish they would have shown the battle of the whispering wood where Robb captured Jaime. In the books Jaime piled up a lot of bodies in that battle.
Stive
AG
Forgot about the brief fight with Brienne. He'd already lost his arm in Dorne and was just clumsy. And besides, other than a 30 second scene between Bronn and the sand snakes while in prison, I've tried to block the entire Dorne piece out of my brain. That whole thing was just terrible.
Goose06
AG
Stive said:

So without starting another thread, and to kill some time over the next week here's something I've been kicking around as I've been fast forwarding through the previous seasons: what are some things that you wish had played out different with the series? I've sped through 3 seasons so far and the two that stand out to me are

1) After all of the discussions that Arya and Tywin had (that were all GREAT), I wish that after they had parted he somehow would have figured out that his little cup bearer was Arya Stark. That revelation in some cool way would have been awesome.

2) Barristan Selmy was only seen in one fight and he died in it. For all of the comments that were made about how amazing he was it seemed like such a letdown that we've seen Bronn do more, and Jon do more, and Jorah Mormont do more than the legend Selmy ever did.

Heck, for that matter, the only fight we ever saw Jamie in was against Ned Stark for all of 30 seconds. He could also be included in this.

A bit random, but what are some others that you wished had played out differently so far?

I think people often over fantasize the books on this thread. I've listened to the first 4 books in the last 2 years or so and I'm about 10% of the way through book 5, and I don't recall Barriston Selmy fighting in a ton of battles in any of the first 4 books. It talks about historic battles and tournaments where he was a great fighter, but it's not like he participates in a ton of battles during the time period the show is based in.
Stive
AG
There's no doubt they over-glamorize the books. My original comment was simply regarding the show. You get the impression from comments Ned makes and comments that Jorah makes, and comments made in the throne room that he's in the top 3 or 4 swordsmen in the world. For many show writers that's a character opportunity that's too good to pass up and you'd think they'd at least want to show that off a bit for excitement purposes. Instead, you wait 5 seasons for him to fight and he dies in the only fight he's a part of.

I'm not someone that just wants to see blood and guts and swordplay for 45 minutes every episode. By far, my favorite parts of this series are the dialogue and intrigue that the story provides. I'm simply talking about small things that I'd of like them to have done differently and some opportunities that I feel like they missed to better the show.
Javelina
AG
New Alt Shift X video, "Lioness: how will Cersei's story end?"

Line Ate Member
AG
Breanne defeated Jaime, the Prince of Flowers and The Hound. I think her prowess with the sword will be well known by the end of the show, one which when people see her, they will turn and run.
redline248
AG
Jaime had been captive and in poor condition when she fought him. The hound was previously wounded in that battle in the inn. Loras was more legit.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I wish they hadn't gone into the whole "Sparrows persecuting Loras because he is gay," storyline.i don't know what the real point of it was with Cersei blowing up the whole sept and killing them all anyways.
redline248
AG
I wonder if Martin intended that in the books.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
redline248 said:

I wonder if Martin intended that in the books.

Not sure. At least up to what Martin has written, they don't really make Loras's sexuality a focal point in his character. It's mentioned, but he isn't having sex almost every time you see him like it kind of is in the show. They have Margaery imprisoned by the sparrow also in the books, but it's because they claim she lied about being a virgin, not because she was covering for Loras, for example.
redline248
AG
I've read them...I just meant Cersei's method for ridding herself of Margery and the high septon. Should have been clear.

Btw, it's interesting that in the books the crown now holds dragon stone, but in the show it looks like Dany will basically walk right in.
Liquid Wrench
Champ Bailey said:

I wish they hadn't gone into the whole "Sparrows persecuting Loras because he is gay," storyline.i don't know what the real point of it was with Cersei blowing up the whole sept and killing them all anyways.
The point was to be edgy and relevant.
Sapper Redux
redline248 said:

I've read them...I just meant Cersei's method for ridding herself of Margery and the high septon. Should have been clear.

Btw, it's interesting that in the books the crown now holds dragon stone, but in the show it looks like Dany will basically walk right in.

I don't remember the books saying how strong the hold is. I would imagine a small garrison running like hell from Dany's fleet.
Sapper Redux
Champ Bailey said:

Why did they develop Ned or Robert or Robb? The idea was to get viewers invested in the character and his relationships with other characters (namely Margery).
SeattleAgJr
Javelina said:

New Alt Shift X video, "Lioness: how will Cersei's story end?"

read a theory recently where the Volanquar (sp) actually refers to The Hound, as the Little Brother to The Mountain.

He will kill Cersei after he kills his older brother (Clegainbowl) for what she did to him.

I put it at 0.001% chance to be correct, but it was new to me (at least).
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Dr. Watson said:

Champ Bailey said:

Why did they develop Ned or Robert or Robb? The idea was to get viewers invested in the character and his relationships with other characters (namely Margery).

I was just saying I wish they hadn't differed from the books. Especially since there was seemingly no point to the change.
boboguitar
AG
Just read this.

I might actually be pretty convinced that Jamie is Azor Ahai.
redline248
AG
Without reading the link...

Does he have to kill Cersei or Brienne to ignite Lightbringer?
Sapper Redux
Champ Bailey said:

Dr. Watson said:

Champ Bailey said:

I was just saying I wish they hadn't differed from the books. Especially since there was seemingly no point to the change.

"Really good fighter from a noble family who incidentally was gay" is a bit repetitive except for the last bit. It's probably the only thing many viewers could remember about the character and it made him more human for many. The books are very good in general, but you can get away with a cast of hundreds of vaguely similar characters in a way that TV punishes you for.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Dr. Watson said:

Champ Bailey said:

Dr. Watson said:

Champ Bailey said:

"Really good fighter from a noble family who incidentally was gay" is a bit repetitive except for the last bit. It's probably the only thing many viewers could remember about the character and it made him more human for many. The books are very good in general, but you can get away with a cast of hundreds of vaguely similar characters in a way that TV punishes you for.

Well that's the thing, he's not really a big character at all in the books, as far as the plot goes. He's like a Kevan Lannister level of character, who you hear more about than actually see, you know?
OnlyForNow
AG
He is also stuck on Dragonstone licking his wounds right now in the books.

Seems like if Danny does go there first or immediately after Drone, he is gonna end up killed by dragon... OR Highgarten joins their forces.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
What do you think Melisandre does next?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Who do you think Melisandre does next?

Fify
Ol Jock 99
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Moves to bit character status (even moreso).
aggietony2010
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Gets killed by Arya.

Maybe there's more for her, but she's on the list, and they're supposed to meet again based on their first encounter.
Swarely
Totally thought it started today. I was so excited. I want to cry.
SeattleAgJr
Swarely said:

Totally thought it started today. I was so excited. I want to cry.
cheer up. reruns of Big Bang Theory are on, and I know many Ags swear by it being a great show.
KidDoc
AG
Wife and I started a rematch of season 6 tonight to freshen up and get ready for winter!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FTA03
AG
I'm hoping the series ends with Tyrion finishing his joke about the two Lords walking into a brothel with a honeycomb and a jackass.
Stive
AG
I recorded the entire series last week when HBO ran the entire series back to back and I've been fast forwarding through them since, only pausing on the "good" parts (mostly dialogue scenes with my favorite characters).

The tone of the show has slipped drastically over the last two seasons from its high point somewhere in season 3. This show was at its absolute best when Tyrion was verbally sparring with Bronn/Varys/Tywin/Cersei. Once he left Kings Landing, the show started sliding.

Quick thoughts:

Man I loved the Oberyn character.

I miss Arya and the Hound

Robb Starks wife was smoking hot.

Varys and Tyrion and Bronn need to start a modern day talk show where they do nothing but drink and share philosophies about life.

The scenes from in and around the Wall during seasons 1-3 were a beating and boring.

Lots of other thoughts but I'll limit it for now.
Al Bula
AG
Rewatching as well. I forgot how awesome it was when Stannis descends on the Wall.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's an awesome scene. Seeing the cavalry close in from both sides was badass.

Shame we never got a real battle with the Stannis army. (Aside from Blackwater.)
Swarely
First three episode titles and descriptions released.

Episode #61: "Dragonstone"

Debut: SUNDAY, JULY 16 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT)

Jon (Kit Harington) organizes the defense of the North. Cersei (Lena Headey) tries to even the odds. Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) comes home.

Written for television by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Jeremy Podeswa.

Episode #62: "Stormborn"

Debut: SUNDAY, JULY 23 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)

Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) receives an unexpected visitor. Jon (Kit Harington) faces a revolt. Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) plans the conquest of Westeros.

Written for television by Bryan Cogman; directed by Mark Mylod.

Episode #63: "The Queen's Justice"

Debut: SUNDAY, JULY 30 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)

Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) holds court. Cersei (Lena Headey) returns a gift. Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) learns from his mistakes.

Written for television by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Mark Mylod.
JaneDoe02
AG
I have been wondering about something...

In season 1, when Cersei visits injured Bran and talks to Catelyn, she tells her that her first boy died of a fever, and that he had dark hair. She doesn't say how old the boy was, but Catelyn says that she never knew. This seems absurd, since we've never heard any other mention of a 4th Cersei baby, esp. a dark haired boy who died young.

Also, since Robert was already king when Cersei married him, the firstborn son would have been know about by the whole kingdom, and then the death of the prince would have been a national tragedy.

Is Cersei making this up? Or is this bad writing on the part of the show? Does this conversation take place in the books? Did this boy ever exist?

I know this doesn't change anything in our future debates about the show, but it has always bothered me.
chipotle
First Page Last Page
Page 20 of 206

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.