Game of Thrones - Season 7

1,124,446 Views | 7206 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
Tripacer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Excellent summary
Aggie Joe 93
AG
Jon is also quite a terrible King. Can't delegate for crap. Doesn't trust anyone to do anything. He doesn't think beyond his next impulse. He's spent more time on road trips than actually dealing with his people. He's over concerned with the dead behind the wall; not enough concerned about his people surviving now.

Not to mention, he needs saving more than any hero in fantasy history. Dany brought 3 dragons, lost one of them, and he's all " Nah, y'all go ahead, I'll catch the next dragon."
JJxvi
AG
Jon's just doing what the plot needs him to do like everyone else now. I will say that it has crossed the line to being truly bad rather than just different. Almost nothing believable happened in the last episode. It was almost a comedy.
Joseph Parrish
AG
JJxvi said:

Jon's just doing what the plot needs him to do like everyone else now. I will say that it has crossed the line to being truly bad rather than just different. Almost nothing believable happened in the last episode. It was almost a comedy.

I think the last episode had some pretty horrible writing. The whole raven cell phone thing just doesn't work for me. And then there's this thing called hypothermia.
scubasteve304
AG
I think this is the episode the whole fandom agrees well the writing isn't gonna get any better but screw it.

Also the only thing about the Sansa-Arya subplot that makes sense is that they're both terrified of Lyanna Mormont.
Urban Ag
AG
Was thinking about this last night. This season definitely has it issues and I think a lot of them could have been avoided with some additional vetting of the logistics and pace. And of course there have been some scenes that were nearly laughable in how they were written (Jamie in the river, Gendry's snow marathon, etc). That being said........

What I think is really bothering both readers and shower viewers is this. All the remaining characters and arcs have essentially came together in three camps. You have Cercei/King's Landing, Dany/Dragonstone, and Jon/The North. And after last episode, we're now down to two camps with the North aligning to Dany. This is a literally 180 degree shift from where the books are and even where the series was in terms of how the story is told. The relevance of many of the characters is greatly diminished when they are all on the same team. In other words, when they are now all working towards the same goal, their individual identities and story arcs have much less meaning and that is a huge departure to how this story has been told through five books and six previous seasons.

For example, Varys as a character, with exception to some good dialogue here and there, essentially lost relevance the moment he brokered the alliance of Highgarten and Sunspear to Dany. It was his last move in the game. Tyrion offers little at this point once Dany landed at Dragonstone. The Sansa/Arya fued seems like filler material to keep something going at Winterfell and the vehicle to close our LF, who is the only character still playing the game but literally has no game to play now. Even the question of who sits the throne is relegated to second tier story arc since Cercei is essentially "contained" at KL and Dany and Jon are going to focus on the WW's. And that was always what this about anyway, Ice and Fire, it just basically simmered in the back ground while the vast majority of characters and arcs somehow supported or tied back to the Game of Thrones..

HBO writers could do better, but cleaning up and closing this out is almost an impossible task, especially when the remaining episodes and seasons are limited.
dc509
AG
scubasteve304 said:

I think this is the episode the whole fandom agrees well the writing isn't gonna get any better but screw it.

Also the only thing about the Sansa-Arya subplot that makes sense is that they're both terrified of Lyanna Mormont.
As long as the don't push the Sansa/Arya story much farther I don't hate it that much. LF was always going to try to sow dissent, but those two are far too experienced to let something like that completely drive them apart. If that pushes into next season then that subplot is just dumb. He doesn't necessarily have to die next episode, but they need to put two and two together.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
i think they just got lazy in that they new they had 5 seasons of book material and figures we need about 2 seasons to wrap it up, we will come up with something...well in reality they probably needed 3 seasons to deal with time and space logistics, or start to condense season 4 and 5 and cut out some of the bull***** the sand snakes and area's training could have been all condensed.

I don't mind it that much tho, I'm on the edge of my seat every episode. So besides the normal gripes i think they are doing alright but got a little lazy along the way.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm really enjoying the ride but will admit that it's frenetic. Given 13 episodes to bring a ton of loose ends to a conclusion, I think the writers have done fine with it. I think what they really needed was about 20-25 episodes, but that's not on the writers.
Ragoo
AG
Joseph Parrish said:

JJxvi said:

I think the last episode had some pretty horrible writing. The whole raven cell phone thing just doesn't work for me. And then there's this thing called hypothermia.
it seems if you watch the behind the scenes stuff the producers are more worried about how things can/should/need to look on screen versus the actual story. Apprently they have had this zombie bear idea for a while and have been trying to work it in in seasons past but this episode they finally said screw it we don't care, we are going to get this bear in one way or another.

pretty telling to me that they just want to make visually appealing TV and not gut wrenching story-telling.
Joseph Parrish
AG
Jon H. Ryan said:

Joseph Parrish said:

JJxvi said:

it seems if you watch the behind the scenes stuff the producers are more worried about how things can/should/need to look on screen versus the actual story. Apprently they have had this zombie bear idea for a while and have been trying to work it in in seasons past but this episode they finally said screw it we don't care, we are going to get this bear in one way or another.

pretty telling to me that they just want to make visually appealing TV and not gut wrenching story-telling.
Yeah, I'm the one that posted the link to that on this thread. Somebody really needs to get on these guys for next season so they don't have the same issues.
Urban Ag
AG
The wight bear goes all the way back to A Storm Of Swords when Sam recalls the events at the Fist of the First Men. The ice bear killed a bunch of Nights Watch in the battle, witnessed by Sam. Obviously the series did not show anything but the aftermath of the battle.
chase128
AG
Jon H. Ryan said:

Joseph Parrish said:

JJxvi said:

Umm... It's a video focusing on the special effects and how they made them. What did you expect? Maybe you're wanting a video focused on the story development? That would be interesting to some I suppose.
Post removed:
by user
wangus12
AG
Jon H. Ryan said:

Joseph Parrish said:

JJxvi said:

Only thing that irks me about the ****ing bear is that they go through all that hassle and they still won't put Ghost in the damn show
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I'm really enjoying the ride but will admit that it's frenetic. Given 13 episodes to bring a ton of loose ends to a conclusion, I think the writers have done fine with it. I think what they really needed was about 20-25 episodes, but that's not on the writers.
D&D ARE the primary writers and exec producers/creators. HBO even came out and said they were disappointed in not having more episodes, but D&D were adamant about needing 13 more. So this is almost ENTIRELY on them. GRRM deserves some of the blame certainly, but Benioff and Weiss had an outline of how this would end. the fact that they are mucking it up so much is on them.

I still love the show, but perhaps the silver lining to all this is that GRRM is motivated to "right the wrong" and finish the story how he intended, and not let the show do it for him.
FIDO95
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

This. I place any and all blame at the feet of GRRM. He kept promising to finish before the series ended and instead he spent his time writing other stories. Maybe he ran out of material for ASOIAF as well. Be that as it may, the writers were given an arc to follow and I think they are doing the best they can. I'm enjoying the show for the "fantasy" that it is and will continue to do so despite the logistics that defy "reality".

An additional thought: Jon Snow was elected Kingofdanorf because "he has Ned Starks blood running through his veins". Yet, he doesn't. Does that nullify his appointment to that position? Does he recuse himself when his parentage if revealed? If so, his "bending a knee" to Dany is a moot point.

My only complaint is, "Where is Ghost?". As a book reader, I think that the Jon's direwolf is a central part of who he is which is lost in the show.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dcAg
I realize a lot of people on here had read some if not all of the books. I have not. I see this as a TV show and have noting to compare it to.

I am not as riled up as a lot of you because I do not know all of the story and plotlines and how they are in comparison. I am kind of glad as after all it is said and done I might go back and read the books for a different experience than reading the books then being disappointed.

Martin and HBO are all somewhat responsible. The Harry Potter movies followed the books pretty well because Rowling was imbedded with the studios. I never read the LOTR but I think that people were happy with those interpretations for the most part.
redline248
AG
*must avoid a LOTR rant*
redline248
AG
Quote:

I realize a lot of people on here had read some if not all of the books. I have not. I see this as a TV show and have noting to compare it to.

I was talking to my sister about this the other day. We both have read the books, and were complaining to each other how messy the show has gotten. She said "and everyone that hasn't read the books just loves all this crap!"

Made me laugh.
dc509
AG
dcAg said:

I am not as riled up as a lot of you because I do not know all of the story and plotlines and how they are in comparison. I am kind of glad as after all it is said and done I might go back and read the books for a different experience than reading the books then being disappointed.

Martin and HBO are all somewhat responsible. The Harry Potter movies followed the books pretty well because Rowling was imbedded with the studios. I never read the LOTR but I think that people were happy with those interpretations for the most part.
I'm not disappointed in the shows as a whole. I actually really like it. The books had far too many characters and story lines to fit into a series that is less than 15+ seasons. What bothers me is the turn toward more formulaic story telling. If the battle scene from Beyond the Wall had been adapted from the book I would bet money there would have been more people die than nameless people. I continue citing that, but it's just an example.
wangus12
AG
Same here. Although the series has gotten sloppy since departing the books, there are several story lines I'm glad were not included. Martin had a crapload of characters that were pretty much useless.
Rudyjax
AG
Which is exactly why I chose not to read better beyond the first book.

I can enjoy the books later but the show will be spoiled by the books.
MaroonStain
AG
wangus12 said:

Jon said:

Only thing that irks me about the ****ing bear is that they go through all that hassle and they still won't put Ghost in the damn show

During the superfluous bear scene, I thought that at this point D&D borrowed/bought the rights for the bear from Revenant because some of the bear movements were very similar.
redline248
AG
Quote:

I can enjoy the books later but the show will be spoiled by the books.
Well, some of them, anyway. Since he'll never finish.
wangus12
AG
redline248
AG
Thoros says "I love this mission."
FancyKetchup14
AG
ok_ag95 said:

DSAg44 said:

So we finally all agree Sopranos is better???

Hell to the no!

Totally unfair to compare the two. They're two totally different shows. The Sopranos is my number 1 show of all time. The writing and acting is what set the stage for shows like BB, The Shield, Mad Man etc. it's a true 'drama' show.

GoT is a fantasy series, and will go down as the greatest in it's category.
Max Power
AG
One of the producers on a recap was going on about how happy they were to have the bear scene, and I thought it was pretty telling. Right now they are wrapping up and just throwing in whatever they want, it's a wish list, which would also explain why the season is only 7 episodes long.

Given the amount of special effects we've seen this season, and the cost associated I think they are partially mailing it in, this is what happens when you are creating material vs interpreting material. They could have spent more time connecting everything rather than what we've recently seen.

Don't get me wrong, I love the dragons and the battles this season, but it's just not quite the same.

Then again, I might just be bitter and sad because the season and show are almost over, I'm going to miss it.
aggie93
AG
Jon H. Ryan said:

Joseph Parrish said:

JJxvi said:

This is exactly my point.

The greatness of both the Show and the Books up until this season seemed to be about the storytelling with some incredible scenery dropped in for dramatic effect. Now it feels like filler waiting for incredible scenery. Watching the Behind the Episode and how giddy D&D were about the special effects was kind of disappointing. The story is what makes GOT so special, not just putting dragons and zombies on the screen. There is lots of fantasy out there where heroes are put in impossible situations, are saved by improbable or impossible (by the rules of the writers themselves in terms of the limits of magic, time, or whatever) over and over and it's just not that interesting. The Show has gotten deeper and deeper into miraculous saves and protecting favored characters.

This isn't just about saving favorite characters from dying btw but from being more human. For instance I hated how they took out how Jaime tells Tyrion that his first marriage was actually real and not a farce. That was the straw that drove Tyrion to be so angry with his brother and to drive him to go and kill his father and Shae. Tyrion also has been protected and made into Mr Nice Guy and that has taken away his humanity. They have been making the characters simpler and in the "good vs evil" category and it's disappointing.

In the end they have made a mess. Tyrion is less and less interesting now after being such an incredible character. He's clearly conflicted about battling his family and he is coming up with one stupid idea after another. "Don't attack KL because people will think you are mean. In fact don't even just fly your Dragon to the Red Keep and roast my sister and end the war." "Send your Navy to pick up Dorne instead of just marching them up over your own territory. Don't bother blockading KL." "Delay everything so you can send several of your best assets on a suicide mission Beyond the Wall so my crazy sister might believe you about the WW even though she doesn't care about anything but herself."

Bronn has gone from cool sidekick to comic relief with limitless plot armor. How much better would the story have been had he been knocked off his horse, saw the gold right in front of him with the knowledge he was so close to what he wanted, than turned around only to have a Dothraki kill him? Then let Jaime be captured and either find a way to trade him with Cersei or better yet take him as a prisoner to the gates of KL and see how she reacts.

So many things that could have made the Show more gripping and kept the feel of GOT instead of a super predictable protect the heroes storyline and keep saving them with illogical and impossible It's fine as long as you don't want to spend any energy thinking about how it adds up but that sucks because the beauty of the story is how in the end it ALL connects in the Books so far. They don't have to be perfect but damn, make an effort. Right now I feel like I can't figure out what will happen because they keep changing the rules. Like Jaime will die or be captured. No, he will instead swim underwater for 3 miles in full view of Dany and Tyrion along with his sidekick and in full armor and get away clean.

I don't hate the Show and I am still very thankful they have made it what it is. Their job is really tough. It's just the bar is so high and they have a chance to end this as one of if not the best show of all time in many ways and instead it will be just really good. They seem so thrilled to have huge budgets that they need to go nuts on special effects at the expense of focusing on the story.
Burrus86
AG
A lot of whinging going on with this thread......
M.C. Swag
AG
Quote:

GoT is a fantasy series, and will go down as the greatest in it's category.
^^^^^^!!

Seriously, you guys can't grade your gritty-realism drama shows to a FANTASY EPIC. It's like comparing athleticism between an NBA player and an NFL QB.

Also, I feel like too much credit is being given to GRRM. The very reason HBO doesn't have a road map to base it's show off of, is precisely because GRRM turned his books into a narrative mess. It's become completely unwieldy.

I think HBO deserves some props for what they've been able to do. Also, can we at least wait to see how this thing concludes? It's clear they're rushing, but we should consider the destination. It might be worth rushing to.
Squirrel Master
AG
I think this was the sloppiest episode of the show, but still had lots to like.

I'm fine with more people not having died beyond the wall, though I was guessing Jorah would die, maybe as a sacrifice to save Jon for Dany or something. Jorah's story feels completed to me and his warm return last episode foreshadowed some downfall to me.

I think the episode still fulfilled the overall theme of anyone can die through the death and wighting of the dragon. I genuinely believe that the only characters who have the plot armor to guarantee survival til the end/last episode (either surviving show or dying at the end) are Jon, Dany, and maybe Tyrion (though not a guarantee). I'm not counting Sam since it's unlikely he ends up in a situation of danger to begin with.

I think the only issue I had was the overly mainstream theme of 'someone is about to die but gets saved'. Tormund should have died in that attack - if they weren't planning on killing him, don't let him get that overwhelmed before Hound saves him. Jon wasn't going to die in as simple a manner as some wights dragging him into water, but his survival from that was dumb. If they wanted to separate him from the group so he can't leave with them, just have him get separated, same scene/line with him seeing the NK get another spear and yell for them to go, but he can't get there cause he's fighting wights who have him blocked. Benjen can still save the day and he can still ride the horse back to Eastwatch, but now you've avoided the absurd survival, and could add some badass swordfighting on Jon's part to further his status.

Benjen's line of "there's no time" for why he can't also jump on horseback and escape was the worst single line of the entire series. If you want to have Benjen sacrifice himself do it in a better way, but we could see that he wasn't being overrun at that moment, so escape was obviously feasible.

For all the criticism of the raven getting there in time, I thought the show paid fair service to the notion that our gang was stranded on the ice island for a long time and that there was considerable passage of time, by showing that guys had dozed off and that Thoros had died and no one had realized it. Could there have been 10 hours from when Gendry started his Marathon run to when Dany arrived? Conceivable. Is it conceivable that a raven could get from Eastwatch to Dragonstone in 9 hours? I'll allow it.

Thought the ice bear was pretty cool.

Tormund and Hound's discussion of Brienne was hilarious. "You DO know her"

Things like Arya not telling Sansa she found the letter via Littlefinger are annoying, in that it allows the drama to develop and build for no reason when rationale thinking had the opportunity to prevail.

My ep 7 guesses:
Jon has drama with North over his quests/decisions, but all ends up cool. His tale of the battle with the undead presents a strong argument that others can only dispute with generalities.

Hound and Mountain fight in KL. Hound dies.

Bran has to do something, and something meaningful.

Scheming backfires on Littlefinger. He dies. Maybe by Arya. I think Sansa will come to be impressed with her abilities when she sees them in use.

Whatever Cersei plot is backfires, but Tyrion ends up in some trouble. Jamie's loyalties are tested, but he doesn't turn on Cersei yet.

Cersei doesn't get to die until next season.
M.C. Swag
AG
Quote:

My ep 7 guesses:
Where I stop reading.

lol no offense, but it seems like too many people's 'guesses' are based tangentially on what other (potentially spoiler *******s) have postulated.
First Page Last Page
Page 179 of 206

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.