***Logan***

31,457 Views | 238 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AMW2010
BBQ4Me
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks incredible
jeffk
AgMarauder04
AG
Holy Hell
rhutton125
AG
Gotta say, the amount of flying small girl vs adult worries me a little bit. Like, clearly she can take down a guy like she did at the truck stop, but that's a lot of wirework.

It's Fox, so I'm hesitant regardless. Will await reviews.
jabberwalkie09
AG
My one hope for this is that we are going to be given the Wolverine that many of us have been wishing for.

So little girl flying through the air, who is obviously X-23, will be understood and likely forgiven.
AliasMan02
AG
The world isn't nearly as far gone as I thought from the first trailer.

And breaking the wall with the X-Men comic is an interesting choice. I wonder if Logan will own the classic costume as having really happened, as intended in the original ending of The Wolverine.
TCTTS
AG
Easily the most excited I've been for an X-Men movie. This looks incredible. And I'm honestly kind of shocked at how bad ass / non-hokey the little girl fight scenes are.
AliasMan02
AG
Just had a thought... what if Fox decides to embrace the R rating and just continues the X-franchise on that platform? It would be a great way to distinguish itself from the rest of the super movies out there. X-Men would be very conducive to that sort of storytelling.

Maybe they're testing those waters a bit with Legion upcoming, which I assume will be TV-MA all the way.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

Easily the most excited I've been for an X-Men movie. This looks incredible. And I'm honestly kind of shocked at how bad ass / non-hokey the little girl fight scenes are.

"Feral" is the word that came to mind.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly.
MrPlow2010
AG
i didnt see it posted but here is the red band version. Same thing but with a few cuss words
jabberwalkie09
AG
Well, they embraced the character in Deadpool so I guess there's a chance.

Or really Ryan Reynolds did, but the studio allowed him to do it and it's why the film succeeded as well as it did. At least in part.
TCTTS
AG
Moral of the movie: Just let your soul glo, Logan.

Gigem314
AG
Even more excited about this after seeing trailer #2.
Ulrich
Speculation: I bet Xavier wants to die. Probably they both are plain exhausted (hurt) from the long and traumatic lives they've lived. Logan has some sort of final mission that he needs Xavier for, but an even realer reason for finding him again is to confess and deal with the fact that Logan wants to be done but will hang on for decades longer... he's pushing 200 at this point.
wangus12
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Well, they embraced the character in Deadpool so I guess there's a chance.

Or really Ryan Reynolds did, but the studio allowed him to do it and it's why the film succeeded as well as it did. At least in part.
Jackman took a pay cut so this one would be rated R.
AgMarauder04
AG
TCTTS said:

Moral of the movie: Just let your soul glo, Logan.

I can't tell you how badly, just for grins, I want this to be we are looking at old T'Challa.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

"She's eleven and I'm ****ing 90."

Lol
I'll be honest - not digging this part. Professor X saying **** seems like they're trying way too hard to be edgy. I don't buy him talking like that.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Being a sardonic old man is edgy? Well hell, I guess Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino takes the cake for that.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
AliasMan02 said:

And breaking the wall with the X-Men comic is an interesting choice.
Yeah...next thing, they'll be addressing the audience.

redline248
AG
I don't know anything about the girl's character, but my first thought was "she's a baby wolverine."
Scotty Flamingo
is sinister no longer the bad guy?
AliasMan02
AG
Nathan Summers said:

is sinister no longer the bad guy?

I don't think we ever KNEW that. It was just insinuated. But we can tell that somebody has been playing with Logan's genes, so that kinda ties in.
Average Joe
AG
My first thought after that trailer was "Why the hell couldn't they have had this tone from the start?" The X-Men movies have been too full of cheese. Now we are likely (I assume) losing Jackman and Stewart after the best one. I can only think of what could have been if at least the Wolverine movies would have been this way through all of them.
AliasMan02
AG
Average Joe said:

My first thought after that trailer was "Why the hell couldn't they have had this tone from the start?" The X-Men movies have been too full of cheese. Now we are likely (I assume) losing Jackman and Stewart after the best one. I can only think of what could have been if at least the Wolverine movies would have been this way through all of them.
I would kill it as the Godfather of a new X-franchise. Letter writing campaign, commence! Vote for AliasMan02.
Duncan Idaho
rhutton125 said:

Gotta say, the amount of flying small girl vs adult worries me a little bit. Like, clearly she can take down a guy like she did at the truck stop, but that's a lot of wirework.

I agree the wire work with the kid in the fight scenes was absolutely horrible looking.
AliasMan02
AG
Wire work is pretty much always terrible to me. I vow not to use it when I am put in charge of rebooting the franchise.
rhutton125
AG
Side note, anyone notice another appearance of the Fox Forest? I've read that a lot of these movies save money by having a sequence in some woods out back, essentially.

X-2 - Magneto catches the Blackbird in a forest, they have a campfire and plan
X-3 - Wolverine chases baddies through a forest
Apocalypse - soldiers confront Magneto's family in a forest
Fantastic Four - soldiers chase Reed through a nondescript forest
Logan - Wolverine and X23 fight soldiers in a forest

I'm probably missing a few other examples.
AliasMan02
AG
You know, rewatching Deadpool (because why not?) and there is almost no wire work in that movie. Some CGI throws across the room and jumping/flipping, but it's way better than the wire fighting.

Another reason I wouldn't change anything about this movie.
TCTTS
AG
I don't know how I feel about this...

http://theplaylist.net/huh-hugh-jackman-says-logan-not-set-x-men-universe-timeline-20170121/

http://heroichollywood.com/hugh-jackman-logan-different-x-men/

- So, the final scene of Days of Future Past - in which Logan wakes up to a "corrected" timeline where all his X-Men pals are alive and well - takes place in 2023 or 2024. The was the last time we saw Logan, Xavier & co, and all seemed to be in perfect health/spirits.

- It has now also been confirmed that Logan takes place in 2029, just five or six years later, and that, according to the first trailer, "The world is not the same as it was. Mutants, they're gone now." I guess I can buy that some cataclysmic event occurred between movies, even though it'd be kind of weird if it wasn't chronicled in any way. It almost feels like there should have been one last, original-cast X-Men movie between DOFP and Logan, but oh well.

- But according to Jackman, "Logan exists outside the X-Men universe and the aforementioned timeline. 'When you see the full movie you'll understand. Not only is it different in terms of timeline and tone, it's a slightly different universe. It's actually a different paradigm and that will become clear.'" This, on the heals of director James Mangold essentially claiming that Logan DOES take place in the X-Men universe, and after DOFP.

So... WTF are they talking about? I know it's been discussed ad nauseam how screwed up the timeline in the X-Men cinematic universe had already become, but this is on a whole other level, where we're getting conflicting reports from the two most important people involved in the same movie.

The only thing I can think that makes any sense at all is if there was some kind of mutant who came along and kind of screwed with reality and/or the timeline (yet again) in the events after DOFP. It seems Xavier hasn't been around, or has been in some kind of coma, as Logan needs to explain to him what has gone down (that we're only hearing part of in the first trailer). Either that, or they really are just saying "**** it" and kind of placing this story in a slightly askew universe from the rest of the films, with no real explanation, and throwing any timeline concern/consistency out the window. And I guess that's fine, but still pretty weird either way.
TCTTS
AG
Just had another idea after watching the latest trailer... what if the X-Men movies we've seen up until this point are the ones that have been "skewed"? What if the (physical) X-Men comic book bit in the trailer is serving a greater narrative purpose in that it's signifying that THIS movie is the one taking place in the real/true version of that world, and that the movies prior were all somewhat elaborate, "comic book" versions of the real events. Not that they'd actually say that in the movie, but I actually kind of really dig that idea; that this is the first "authentic" peek at that world, allowing the filmmakers to essentially dismiss whatever events they want from previous movies. Yes, it'd be kind of a lame cheat, but this being the last Wolverine/Jackman movie, in this kind of setting, almost makes it feel like a really cool, interesting choice. In fact, knowing what we know now, after hearing these "conflicting" reports, I'd be shocked if this wasn't the case.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

What if the (physical) X-Men comic book bit in the trailer is serving a greater narrative purpose in that it's signifying that THIS movie is the one taking place in the real/true version of that world, and that the movies prior were all somewhat elaborate, "comic book" versions of the real events.
Not that I'd give Fox the credit for any foresight regarding it (because I don't think they've thought it out like that), but it would not only be good for the franchise since they could keep it in the "real world" at that point and not go back to the "comic book" versions we have had in the past but it would also give us the more gritty version that Logan seems to be bringing to the table.

It would also be a huge "oh **** that changes everything" moment for a lot of casual viewers.
jeffk
AG
The movie taking place in an alternate timeline does match up with the source material, right?
TexasAggie_02
AG
jeffk said:

The movie taking place in an alternate timeline does match up with the source material, right?

Yes.
TCTTS
AG
Good point. And I would absolutely love that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.