*** Legion (FX X-Men Series) ***

30,946 Views | 242 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This show is slated to start in February. Not that much is known about it outside of its central character, which if you're not an avid X-Fan you probably know nothing about, so I won't spoil. He is Legion, a mutant with multiple personalities and powers, and the son of Professor X.

This shows looks like it will be very... experimental. It's created by the mind behind the Fargo TV series, Noah Hawley, which is much beloved but I haven't seen. It stars Dan Stevens as David Haller, Rachel Keller as the new character Syd Barrett, and AUBREY FRICKIN PLAZA as Lenny Busker, who I believe is another new character.

This show does tie in with the larger X-Men universe, but not in any defined way. Part of the nature of the show looks like it will make that sort of thing not really matter.

Here are some videos:

The trailer:

TV promos:

Sex Panther
AG
That actually looks pretty damn cool
AliasMan02
AG
Sex Panther said:

That actually looks pretty damn cool

I worry that it will be a little too out there to be a hit, but it's on FX, so who knows. Glad to see Marvel taking some chances.
R0GUE
AG
Can't wait for this.
rhutton125
AG
I'll have to watch the trailer - literally every article just has him looking scowly for the header so that's all I know. Scowly guy, dumb haircut
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Hopefully this is better than the movie.
R0GUE
AG
rhutton125 said:

I'll have to watch the trailer - literally every article just has him looking scowly for the header so that's all I know. Scowly guy, dumb haircut
Something about his face and expressions reminds me of Ben Stiller.
israeliag
AG
That looked really really good. It's a trailer and all, but I'm impressed by the look it has - great color and cinematography, and the effects look very believable.

I'm in.
AliasMan02
AG
More promos.

redline248
AG
Looks like a guy playing Ben Stiller playing Tom Cruise.
schmendeler
AG
he's considered an omega level mutant, right? like jean gray, or apocalypse?
R0GUE
AG
Actually, Apocalypse himself is not an Omega-level mutant. "Omega-level" essentially means that the mutant has no upper limit to his powers. Apocalypse's powers are that he is extremely strong and durable, and has a healing factor akin to Wolverine, but most of his crazy powers come from Celestial technology.

But yes Legion is in fact an Omega level mutant AND an Omega Level Telepath. As I said before an Omega level mutant is one whose powers have no upper limit. Other identified Omega Level Mutants include Iceman, Jean Grey, and Franklin Richards.

Omega Level Telepaths/Telekenetics are similar, but the instead of saying they have no upper limit, they are simply the most powerful mutants with mind-powers. Jean, Cable, Stryfe, and X-Man are Omega Level Telepaths/TKs.

/pushes nerd glasses up
redline248
AG
Tangent to the thread: Iceman has no upper limit on his powers? Could he freeze the whole planet? Freeze the sun?
R0GUE
AG
redline248 said:

Tangent to the thread: Iceman has no upper limit on his powers? Could he freeze the whole planet? Freeze the sun?

That's exactly right, he could do all that. The reason we know this is because at one point Emma Frost did the "switch minds into another body trick" (ala Professor X in X3) into Iceman's body. Because of her telepathy and more advanced intellect she unlocked a bunch of powers Iceman never even thought of using like transport herself instantly across the long distance of a whole river by freezing it. She concluded Bobby was Omega level and chastised Iceman for wasting his powers. Since then he's been a lot better about it, he can create dozens, maybe even hundreds of ice creatures and split his conciousness across them for example.
schmendeler
AG
Quote:

transport herself instantly across the long distance of a whole river by freezing it.
huh? I'm imagining skating down the length of the river, but that can't be what you mean.
R0GUE
AG
schmendeler said:

Quote:

transport herself instantly across the long distance of a whole river by freezing it.
huh? I'm imagining skating down the length of the river, but that can't be what you mean.

It's more like he dips his hand in the river at the headwaters, the entire river freezes, he pops out at the end of the river and the river unfreezes. And this all happens in a few seconds.
schmendeler
AG
I'm not very well versed in his powers. so he can travel through frozen water, like some sort of electrical current?
R0GUE
AG
schmendeler said:

I'm not very well versed in his powers. so he can travel through frozen water, like some sort of electrical current?

Exactly. He basically fused his molecules with the rivers.
AliasMan02
AG
Beat me to it.
R0GUE
AG
FYI Storm and Magneto are suspected to be Omega level but it's unproven.

Hope Summers is also probably Omega Level because Bishop claims she causes a catastrophic world event in his timeline. (Probably most people don't know who Hope is though).
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS
AG
Literally made me lol.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I thought Hope only destroyed the future as a Phoenix host. Didn't think she had that kind of raw power inherently.

I also thought X-man was omega level mutant, but I guess I missed that distinction. Supposedly Vulcan was also Omega level, or at least he ended up that way eventually. Franklin Richards and Legion are still the most obvious about it. They manipulate reality on a whim and sometimes unintentionally. Don't really see that from anyone else.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
R0GUE
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

I thought Hope only destroyed the future as a Phoenix host. Didn't think she had that kind of raw power inherently.

I also thought X-man was omega level mutant, but I guess I missed that distinction. Supposedly Vulcan was also Omega level, or at least he ended up that way eventually.
The thing about the Phoenix is it seeks out only the most powerful mutants to be its host. Adding the Phoenix power only amplifies an already obscene amount of power. Hence why Jean Grey is also on the list. In fact pretty much all of the Phoenix's hosts have been classified as at least Omega Level Telepaths (Jean, Hope, Emma Frost, Stepford Cuckoos - who are just little Emmas, Quentin Quire) except for the time it split into the Phoenix Five.

Vulcan is also on the list of Omega Levels, I just didn't think anyone on Texags would have heard of him, he's fairly obscure. For those who aren't aware, Cyclops and Havok had a third brother named Gabriel, who it turned out Xavier hid from them when they were kids. He went into space and eventually became an evil dictator of the Shi'ar Empire.

Quote:

Franklin Richards and Legion are still the most obvious about it. They manipulate reality on a whim and sometimes unintentionally. Don't really see that from anyone else.

The other one who used to have that kind of power was Scarlet Witch. But how much of that is her natural mutant power and how much is amplified by magic is anyone's guess. Hence I guess why she isn't listed as Omega Level.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I honestly can't remember Hope showing any non-Phoenix powers other than brain-washing her flunkies. Did I miss something?

Good call on the Scarlet Witch. Kind of funny not to include her since the Marvel Universe pretty much revolves around her at times. As far as her magic, I remember Dr Strange saying there is no such thing a "chaos magic", and that's just how Wanda rationalizes her mutant powers.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
R0GUE
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

I honestly can't remember Hope showing any non-Phoenix powers other than brain-washing her flunkies. Did I miss something?

Good call on the Scarlet Witch. Kind of funny not to include her since the Marvel Universe pretty much revolves around her at times. As far as her magic, I remember Dr Strange saying there is no such thing a "chaos magic", and that's just how Wanda rationalizes her mutant powers.
Her power is to copy other mutants powers. Unlike Rogue, she doesn't need to make skin contact, nor does she absorb memories, feelings, or personalities like Rogue does. Since she is classified as Omega level, I assume there is no range to this power, as long as she has met the mutant before, she can duplicate the power.

EDIT: I looked it up. there is a range, she has to be at least somewhat nearby the mutant, but the Omega classification comes in to effect because she can take an infinite number of powers at once. Rogue can kind of do this, but every time she takes another power, it weakens the rest of them, splitting the power level up equally between them all. The mutant Mimic also has powers similar to Hope, but he is limited to 6 at a time.
ramblin_ag02
AG
That's right. I guess I just mostly read about her in the apocalyptic futures with Cable, and there weren't any mutants around.

BTW, my mutant power is the same. I can copy any other mutant power. Now I just need to find some other people with mutant powers...
redline248
AG
Quote:

Vulcan is also on the list of Omega Levels, I just didn't think anyone on Texags would have heard of him, he's fairly obscure. For those who aren't aware, Cyclops and Havok had a third brother named Gabriel, who it turned out Xavier hid from them when they were kids. He went into space and eventually became an evil dictator of the Shi'ar Empire.
Is this a newer version of when it was Scott's dad that was out being a pirate or whatever in the Shi'ar corner of the universe? Or did sometime after phoenix the 3rd brother shows up?
R0GUE
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

Is this a newer version of when it was Scott's dad that was out being a pirate or whatever in the Shi'ar corner of the universe? Or did sometime after phoenix the 3rd brother shows up?
It's related. Corsair and his wife had Vulcan as a kid out in space. Then Vulcan came back to earth, was mistreated by Xavier, and then later returns to space to find his mother's killer. That's how he ends up Emperor of the Shi'ar, because he killed D'Ken, the evil previous Shi'ar emperor who killed his mom.
Sex Panther
AG
I'll admit when I first heard about this show and premise I thought it sounded lame, and even I was starting to get a little bit of super hero fatigue... especially when it comes to X-Men.

But the marketing campaign and look of the show has sucked me in. I'm also a big fan of Dan Stevens and Aubrey Plaza... put them in a show that looks like it's going to trade capes and villains for just weird head trippiness and I'm pretty sold. Not to mention FX and Noah Hawley.

And now the reviews are out and it's getting huge praise. I'm officially pumped.

Premieres Wednesday.
AliasMan02
AG
Set the DVR tonight. Looks ambitious, which these days is what I want in a show.
hunter2012
AG
Any idea when how fast they push their shows to FXNow?
fig96
AG
Awesome, after Fargo I'm totally in for anything he does. Really looking forward to this one.
redline248
AG
Posting to get this back on my watchlist and to take credit for the massive derail this thread had
The Debt
First episode is too much Girl, Interrupted. My GAF levels are minimal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.