Aladdin live-action remake, directed by Guy Ritchie

51,981 Views | 362 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
TexasAggie_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

It has been a long time since I watched the original, but I seem to recall the magic carpet ride taking them farther than in this movie.
yeah, they go to ancient greece, egypt, china, and somewhere with wild mustangs (perhaps inner mongolia, the time period isn't right for America obviously).

They are watching fireworks in China when Jasmine tricks Aladdin by saying "too bad Abu isn't here to see this."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Already back to the #1 movie on Monday.

It's highly unlikely, but it would be crazy if it somehow beats out Dark Phoenix this weekend and regains the #1 spot.

Edit: Totally forgot about Secret Life of Pets 2.
fig96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's highly unlikely, but it would be crazy if it somehow beats out Dark Phoenix this weekend and regains the #1 spot.
That could happen, because apparently Dark Phoenix is flat out awful.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$500M worldwide so far
bbattbq01
AG
fig96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

That could happen, because apparently Dark Phoenix is flat out awful.

Secret life of pets 2 will.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Took the kids to see it today. The movie is okay I suppose but holy cow, Naomi Scott made a genie appear in my pants. Good lord, is that woman beautiful!
PatAg
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

Took the kids to see it today. The movie is okay I suppose but holy cow, Naomi Scott made a genie appear in my pants. Good lord, is that woman beautiful!
you crapped your pants?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Good lord, is that woman beautiful!
Cannot disagree with this statement.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$600M worldwide
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Saw it today with my 11 year old and her friend. They LOVED it and i had a great time since i am 40 and it was a great childhood throwback.

I really warmed up to Will Smith as he became himself as the genie and not trying to copy Robin Williams.

Nassim Pedrad was great comic relief. The musical numbers were good and the additional songs were just ok but not as good as the original songs.
jokershady
AG
Saw it today and for me.....meh

The bad:

The first 30 minutes were absolutely painful. It felt like everything was forced and there was zero flow. The movie starts off like it knows we're aware of the story, (ex. showing the no-name thief getting killed while the opening music is still be played) and quickly showing every character.

Then randomly jump to Jasmine already being in the street and that being the first time we see her. Why would you start the film off implying that you're aware that we know the story and then completely skip an entire scene we're familiar with and expecting where we're first introduced to Jasmine and her father, her frustrations with being courted, and never leaving the palace? And then have Jasmine be a part of the street chase?

There was one moment through all this I seriously thought our film had screwed up and left a scene out it felt so thrown together.

And Jafar was...just...awful. I mean...wow. I never took this guy serious when he was on screen. A few moments had me chuckling when he was trying to be intimidating......part of the problem though is that they were forced in this film to have Jafar interact with other characters in scenes he normally wouldn't have....why? Cause no talking bird! So much of his dialogue and scheming in the original was done interacting with Iago...but since this film was apparently trying to be more "realistic" (while still keeping a flying rug that can convey emotion) they barely use Iago's his name and make him a somewhat repeating forgetful bird....

The good:

The actors for Aladdin and Jasmine definitely looked the part. Their chemistry at the beginning still felt forced and unnatural, but if you were to shut your eyes and imagine what these characters would look like as real people this would be it.

The music? Great! Other than the bad street chase I already mentioned I thought all the songs payed great homage to the originals and Jasmines new song reminded me a lot of "How Far I'll Go" in Moana (that was a very good thing).

And Will Smith....before his arrival in the film I was already looking at my watch cause I was not liking anything I saw. BUT...kept telling myself wait until Genie shows.....and I'll be damned if will Smith, who was playing arguably the hardest role in this film was the person that brought it all together!

Immediately the chemistry between him and Aladdin is believable (and it only gets better)! Immediately the conflict between Aladdin and Jasmine has some weight! I loved every scene he was in!

Changes! Some of the changes were for the better. Giving Jasmine a handmaiden was great and her character felt like she belonged. The Genie not caring about being free and trying to convince Aladdin to use his third wish was an interesting change that I thought fit.

But overall.....still give it a pass. Everything leading up to Will Smith was awful and whenevers he's not on screen I'm left wondering where he is cause I don't like what's left. Jafar is horrible and probably the biggest let down as he's such a classic villain from Disney. Hell this guy should have been the easiest character to cast and could have had a lot of fun with his portrayal.

It's worth a watch just for Will Smith....but can easily wait until it's out of theaters.
Olsen
AG
The Lost
Saw it sunday with my gf and was entertained. Wasn't expecting the world from it, so with that it was fun. The genie definitely carried it as others said.

You could critically pick it apart, and it wasn't as good as the cartoon, but it was fine. The worst part for me was how annoyingly obvious the lip syncing of the songs was, particularly jasmines last one, which was a new song. There was really not much going on screen so all i could do was focus on how bad it was and wtf it was included, i didn't think it added anything.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

And Will Smith....before his arrival in the film I was already looking at my watch cause I was not liking anything I saw.
So you weren't liking the movie and checking your watch at about a minute into the movie, then? Seeing as how Will Smith was in the movie's first sequence aboard the boat with the kids ...
jokershady
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

And Will Smith....before his arrival in the film I was already looking at my watch cause I was not liking anything I saw.
So you weren't liking the movie and checking your watch at about a minute into the movie, then? Seeing as how Will Smith was in the movie's first sequence aboard the boat with the kids ...
right........cause the character everyone was heavily anticipating on seeing was "regular human" Will Smith, the boat captain
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Incredible legs on this one, only a 32% drop this weekend with $16M.

Almost double on its 4th weekend what Dark Phoenix did its 2nd weekend.

Passed $700M worldwide.
Grapesoda2525
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Incredible legs on this one, only a 32% drop this weekend with $16M.

Almost double on its 4th weekend what Dark Phoenix did its 2nd weekend.

Passed $700M worldwide.
I'd guess another full week in the theaters?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You mean that it stays in theaters? No way, much longer than that.

It'll be in there longer than many others like Dark Phoenix, Godzilla, and MIB. As long as it keeps doing steady weekend numbers above $5M or so, I don't see why they'd pull it. I'd say at least until Spider-Man opens.
Olsen
AG
$810 million worldwide right now. $1 billion worldwide is still a possibility.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Another crazy good hold. #3 this weekend with $12M, ahead of everything except TS4 and Child's Play.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Saw it with the kids and enjoyed it well enough. It did seem to take itself very seriously though. Too seriously. And was about 15 min too long. But still very enjoyable.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just passed ID4 to become the #1 Will Smith movie worldwide.
Gap
AG
I'm late seeing this one, but really liked it. It took off and held my attention from the scene where he came to town as the prince until the end. It was a traditional Disney classic. And I haven't been a fan of all their live action remakes. I didn't like Beauty and the Beast much at all.
Grapesoda2525
I'm surprised this has lasted so long in theaters.

I'll probably go see it again next Monday or Tuesday.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just passed ID4 to become the #1 Will Smith movie worldwide.
Meh, that was 23 years ago. Adjust it for inflation and ID4 made more than double its 1996 haul.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$900M
Olsen
AG
$40 more million dollars for Aladdin to join the $1 billion dollar movie club.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It took until its 8th weekend to fall out of the top 5. (Sitting at #6.)

Smack dab in the middle of summer. This an amazing run it's going on. It's not breaking records but just keeps raking it in.
Grapesoda2525
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It took until its 8th weekend to fall out of the top 5. (Sitting at #6.)

Smack dab in the middle of summer. This an amazing run it's going on. It's not breaking records but just keeps raking it in.
Would be funny if it beat lion king.

The reviews from critics and rotten tomato score should be a mild concern for Disney.

However, people will still go see it no matter what.
(removed:10EA24-2)
Can't imagine that it would be better than the original animated. I tend to stick with the original movies.
TXAG 05
AG
It's had a good run, but has it had any serious competition other than Toy Story? I guess SpiderMan, but that only just came out.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dark Phoenix, Godzilla, Secret Life of Pets, MIB
agdoc2001
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So no then.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's more so that every single weekend saw a major release, and Aladdin took the punches and still kept on keeping on. Summers are not known for having leggy movies, it's the kind of thing you see in the holiday season.
Grapesoda2525
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Dark Phoenix was an epic fail.

It does seem to help Aladdin that most of its competitors underperformed.

I can't believe they are leaving avengers in this long to try and break the record. It's clearly not making money now right?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.