Aladdin live-action remake, directed by Guy Ritchie

51,999 Views | 362 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
rhutton125
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Every time I see this thread get bumped, I'm reminded of how spare Guy Ritchie is now. He's been falling up lately. How do you go from Man From UNCLE (average, franchise is over) to King Arthur franchise (bombed, franchise over) to doing a live action version of one of the most beloved Disney films? I'm not surprised at all that this looks bad.
AliasMan02
AG
It's a mistake not going on a totally different direction for Genie. Make him not blue and not the comedic center of the movie. RW was too iconic and the animation made his performance on a different level.

Maybe give the role to am unknown with no baggage. He's just a blue Will Smith. Not great.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Will Smith as the genie looks as bad as people expected Heath Ledger to be as the Joker until the first trailer for Batman was released.
shaynew1
AG
Lucky #007 said:

Will Smith as the genie looks as bad as people expected Heath Ledger to be as the Joker until the first trailer for Batman was released.

It wasn't even the first trailer...it was the first "people will die" audio file. I didn't have to see him and I was IN.
shaynew1
AG
I guess technically that was a trailer
Zemira
AG
Lucky #007 said:

Heath Ledger looked cool though. Will Smith just looks crazy weird.
Sex Panther
AG
Fenrir said:

Just watched it after seeing all of these comments and honestly, the worst part for me was Jafar's voice. Sounded so effeminate, especially compared to the voice actor from the animated movie.

That was my biggest complaint. As soon as he opened his mouth I thought, "That's not Jafar"
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Sex Panther said:

Fenrir said:

Just watched it after seeing all of these comments and honestly, the worst part for me was Jafar's voice. Sounded so effeminate, especially compared to the voice actor from the animated movie.

That was my biggest complaint. As soon as he opened his mouth I thought, "That's not Jafar"
Came here to post that too. Awful.

Jasmine looking fine, though.
CoolAggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Hell, they should literally just put in the guy from the Broadway show. Same costume, same makeup. Would still be 10x better than what they have now. (And he can sing.)

Caught the show last summer, this dude was freaking awesome. I second this motion
fig96
AG

swimmerbabe11
Fenrir said:

Why does Jafar look like Rita from Power Rangers?
Jason Ag
AG
AliasMan02 said:

It's a mistake not going on a totally different direction for Genie. Make him not blue and not the comedic center of the movie. RW was too iconic and the animation made his performance on a different level.

Maybe give the role to am unknown with no baggage. He's just a blue Will Smith. Not great.

Maybe go full CGI, and use a guy like Jim Cummings to do voices. I like the idea that a genie locked in a lamp that long is a little nuts and looking to have some fun while out. I still wouldn't try to straight up copy RWs style, but maybe keep with the general idea.
Dro07
AG
Not sure why but I always pictured Ben Kingsley as a live action Jafar
TexasAggie_02
AG
They should just go full CGI on genie, and have Frank Calliendo do his robin Williams impersonation
Drahknor03
AG
The should make the genie full-on CGI, and reshoot it dubbing Robin Williams from the original over it completely. Why reinvent the wheel?
imjustsayin
AG
All the will smith talk... but Jafar is terrible.
Not a Bot
AG
Disney has gotten to the point where they are so big and own so many properties that I don't think they care much if they cannibalize. Releasing this in the middle of Toy Story 4, The Avengers, and the Lion King may just be a way of burying it.
Not a Bot
AG
imjustsayin said:

All the will smith talk... but Jafar is terrible.

I disagree with the criticism of Jafar, at least for now. I think it was pretty clear in the animated version everyone should have known he was evil based on the way he talked. I think he could be played as a manipulative little weasel who no one in the palace suspects as evil and have it work well. The voice would fit in that scenario. Gives him more of a Rasputin-type vibe.
Gigem314
AG
fig96 said:

That's awesome.
MW03
AG
Olsen
AG
There will be another new trailer coming out tomorrow morning.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Awfully soon.

I'm sure it's not for any reason at all. Nope
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Olsen
AG
Olsen
AG
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's a cool poster.

Haven't seen the trailer, but overall opinion seems to be much better this time?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Olsen
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Haven't seen the trailer, but overall opinion seems to be much better this time?
Yes, this new official trailer is so much better than the 2nd sneak peek preview video.
double aught
AG
Looks good. I may take my daughter.
The Collective
AG
I bet they wish that they could just delete that first bit of marketing material, but...
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Looks a million times better.

"A Whole New World" sounded good, too.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Gigem314
AG
C@LAg said:

Good Aggie Hunting said:

That... is much better. Still don't like Will Smith in the role, but... that was better. And I do like them switching between blue and regular skin when around others, if that is what they are doing.
A lot better.

Giving Genie a human form makes a lot more sense with Smith. Didn't know that's the direction they were headed.

I'll give this a shot.
hurleyag
AG
Jafar still seems off, but this last trailer has moved the movie back into the see at theater category for me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.