Aladdin live-action remake, directed by Guy Ritchie

51,988 Views | 362 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Olsen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Genie is blue after all.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jesus Christ. That Genie is absolutely horrendous.
bearamedic99
AG
disagree. not as bad as I thought from the EW photos.
20ag07
Disney is going to hurt box office on Lion King by releasing this 8 weeks before. While LK is mostly bulletproof, Aladdin just looks unnecessary/bad every time it pops up. There will be casual movie goers without kids that catch this early in the summer, go meh, then pass on seeing LK a few weeks later after having been burned once. Think they'd net a lot more money by flipping them, as it might drive the opposite reaction.

FaceMask
How the hell did a "Guy" that made 2 of my favs in Snatch and Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels become such a crappy director? I blame it on Madonna. Or that Mathew Vaughn was the brains behind operation.
PatAg
AG
Going to be awesome when this turns out to actually be good
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

For real. Everything up until that point looked decent, I guess, but man, I'm legit shocked at how bad the genie effect is. Why does he have to be so weirdly muscular? Why does his head not look like it's part of his body? Just... why, period?
TCTTS
AG
TXAG 05
AG
Wow. I'm all in for Lion King and Dumbo, but it looks like Disney misfired on this one. Robin Williams made the original, don't think Will Smith in blue body paint is going to get it done.
AgMarauder04
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

For real. Everything up until that point looked decent, I guess, but man, I'm legit shocked at how bad the genie effect is. Why does he have to be so weirdly muscular? Why does his head not look like it's part of his body? Just... why, period?

Look again. His back is ripped and cut.

His front is dadbod.

WTF.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
That is the worst CGI I've ever seen. Someone out genie back in the bottle and don't let him out the whole movie. Yikes
TCTTS
AG
Calling it now. This gets pushed back to 2020. More time for effects and possibly even reshoots. The internet is laughing its ass off, if not straight up frightened by The Fresh Prince of Blue Nair. Besides, squeezing it right in between Endgame and Toy Story 4 makes no sense, especially with The Lion King trailing directly behind.
Bruce Almighty
AG
That looked awful.
Quinn
AG
It doesn't look good, but I'm disappointed that it wasn't worse after seeing the comments here and on Twitter. Why isn't Jafar super ugly?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Zemira
AG
Ugh. I wanna puke at that Will Smith genie.

I hope this gets pushed to 2020 so they can fix his character's appearance. I don't even want to think how bad the script is if they can't even CGI the genie correctly.
Gigem314
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Zemira
AG
Randomly saw this on Twitter. I had to laugh.

The Collective
AG
Man, they are going to screw up Aladdin. Possible Disney is doing too much?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Olsen
AG
On YouTube, the recent trailer likes/dislikes ratio shows that as of right now 21,478 likes and 21,350 dislikes.
Fenrir
Just watched it after seeing all of these comments and honestly, the worst part for me was Jafar's voice. Sounded so effeminate, especially compared to the voice actor from the animated movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They really should delay the movie and redo the Genie from the ground up. This is gonna hurt their entire slate this year if it's as bad as it looks. Could be disastrous.
Olsen
AG
At one point, I thought the magic carpet wasn't going to make it into the movie. I'm glad it did though!

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hell, they should literally just put in the guy from the Broadway show. Same costume, same makeup. Would still be 10x better than what they have now. (And he can sing.)

double aught
AG
I love to pile on as much as the next guy, but I don't really get what's so offensive about the genie. It's neither great nor terrible to me. Looks ok I guess. What were you guys expecting?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It looks like Will Smith's face crudely photoshopped onto a CGI body.

It just looks cheap and stupid.

And from the internet's reaction, that seems to be the popular consensus.

I'm probably being extreme suggesting they re-cast, but honestly, just get rid of the blue paint and the horrible CGI body and just dress him up like the Broadway actor above.
AgMarauder04
AG
I don't think anyone is offended.

He just looks awful.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.