What are your thoughts on 2001: A Space Odyssey?

10,157 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by NoahAg
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On the movies you hate thread, I noticed this movie got a few mentions, while a couple of us posted it's one of the greatest movies of all time. (I'm in this camp.)

This seems like the ultimate love-it-or-hate-it movie. Do you love it, hate it, or somewhere in between?
Complete Idiot
Love it, especially when considering it against films of it's era. It was a cinematic achievement.
Professor Frick
AG
I agree with the complete idiot. Oh, and the guy who posted above me.
Mr. White
Great movie. The end is a bit iffy, but so what.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dafuq?
Hogties
AG
I love it! Saw it at the Cinemark last weekend and it was awesome. The effects still hold up 50 years later. I love the music. However, the movie is really only understandable as a three set plot piece if you have seen 2010 which really explained WTF was going on in 2001.

I made my 16 year old daughter watch it with me because she thinks wants to do special effects.She watched the entire thing enthralled and barely looked at her phone. When it ended she looked at me and asked if that is what a drug trip is like. But in a good way.

The movie was visually stunning on the big screen. And that creepy black monolith music in a dark theatre. Amazing.

Professor Frick
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Damn. Nice. Where'd they show it?
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'm in the hate camp. I really want to like this movie and have tried many times, but just get bored to death watching it. I love science fiction and as a science teacher, I appreciate the real science of the film, but I just don't think there's much of a plot or characters that I really care about. I feel the same way about the book. Its actually one of the worst Arthur C. Clarke novels that I have read. I get that it was a marvel of special effects, especially for its time, but I've never been one that let special effects determine my enjoyment of the movie. When it comes down to it, I just fine the story very weak.
citizenkane06
AG
I think it's the greatest picture ever made. It's the only film that transcends "watching a movie" to become an experience. Kubrick's direction, the cinematography, effects, and editing are as perfect as have ever been filmed. The story is so ambitious that, along with the visuals, becomes engrossing with awe. Kubrick used music as well as anyone, and it's perfect here. Then there's HAL, one of the great villains in cinema. I encourage everyone to watch it and allow themselves to be drawn in by it.
oragator
I think it earns its well deserved reputation when you look at science fiction on film before that movie and after.
It was absolutely groundbreaking, but if you look at it through a modern lens you are doing it a disservice, especially since many of the movies you might compare it to wouldn't be here without it.
SeattleAgJr
It deserves its positive reputation for the time period in which it was released.

But it does not change the fact that the entire movie is pretentious crap.
Hogties
AG
quote:
Damn. Nice. Where'd they show it?

Cinemark in College Station
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
It deserves its positive reputation for the time period in which it was released.

This does not make sense.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
It is truly a great movie even though it drags at times and the ending is unusual. I also think very highly about its more conventional sequel, 2010.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
quote:

This does not make sense.
Yes it does. It came out in the late 60s, post Summer of Love hippie crap where people were into the far out experience. Add to that the novelty of space travel in the year before the first step on the moon. Then add a visual director in Stanley Kubrick.

The movie is very much a moment of its time.

Does not change the fact that it is a lot of pretentious crap, especially all the stuff with Dave Bowman in the end.

West Point Aggie
AG
quote:

I'm sorry SeattleAg Jr...your opinion is only attributable to human error...
VanZandt92
Love it. And I own that movie.
AggieMarkSA
It's much much better with weed.
Philip J Fry
AG
Not really a fan.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Love the movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:

Can confirm.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Maybe that's my problem
GiveEmHellBill
AG
A beautiful film to watch. But it's 90 minutes of story stretched out to 3 hours and can easily bore the crap out of you.
AustinScubaAg
AG
2001 is the 60's version of Gravity. Looks amazing but otherwise not much of a movie.
TCTTS
AG
I think this answers your question. An original, vintage one-sheet. About to hang it up...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dude. That is awesome. Where did you get that? I imagine it cost you a pretty penny.
TCTTS
AG
Got it on eBay. I've never splurged on any kind of art in my life, but finally decided to pull the trigger for this one.
ro828
It was about as boring as humanly possible. No characters were developed that I could care about, and that's reflected by the fact that the leading actors didn't get any real boost in their careers for doing it. The end, though, was greatness and I've seen it several times. To be honest, let me add that I'm no fan of Kubrick's work except for Spartacus and Dr. Strangelove. I loathed A Clockwork Orange and disliked The Shining even more than Steven King did, and that's a lot.
KidDoc
AG
Incredibly boring, awful movie.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Hudson2508
AG
It's an amazing movie and I loved it. Saw it for the first time at the Paramount Theatre in 70 mm. Truly remarkable that it was filmed in the 60s.
YouBet
AG
Love it or hate it....it's a masterpiece in film making and will always be considered such.
chipotle
Yawn
NukeAg10
AG
quote:

it sure as hell is. great movie.
GCRanger
AG
Love it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.