What are your thoughts on 2001: A Space Odyssey?

10,155 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by NoahAg
Ag 11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Starts a little slow but once it gets going, I like it. My wife had never seen it so I made her watch it with me the other day. She hated it
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Houston

June 15-20 at Edwards Greenway Grand Palace 24
Not exactly around the corner from me here in Katy, but damn I want to see this in the theater. Looking at next Tuesday ...
cbr
AG
I see the merits, especially Hal, but in the end it was a little too far out with the weird ass ending.
GoAgs92
AG
As far as special effects I can't think of a more ground breaking movie.

But the plot does plod along quite a bit and the ending really doesn't make any sense.

Worth seeing for sure but you may want to take a break in the middle and watch the rest later.
Hogties
AG
My family is taking me for Father's Day. I can't wait to hear what my 18 year old girl thinks. I've seen it in a theatre and can't wait to hear that creepy ass music.

Beautifully shot and still stands up in terms of effects today. Maybe more so because the ships were real, not 1's and 0's.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I managed to get in there today to see this on the big screen. Glad I did.

As someone said earlier, this movie stands up still quite well. I've seen this movie many times over the last 30+ years, but I don't recall ever being so focused in on the details. And wow is this movie filled with details. Stuff like the warning on the explosive bolt doors on the pods. There is a plaque on the door where Bowman gains access to HAL's innards that says something along the lines of emergency access only, or something. Inside HAL, when Bowman is disabling the AI's systems, it's broken down into Memory, Logic, stuff like that. Early on we see the Floyd character walking through the space station, where there is both a Hilton and a Howard Johnson. $1.70 for an orbit-to-surface call.

And then the one thing that I'd noticed before but couldn't help but wonder, was there an Aggie who worked on this movie? Several shots of screens featuring various codes, one of which was a maroon screen with the letters ATM. Perhaps that simply refers to "atmosphere"?

I was a bit surprised at how scratchy the film was (not sure if it was a print or a digital copy). Several scratches at various points. I get that it's a 50-year-old movie, but that did surprise me. Otherwise the colors were really good at the "ape man" opening, dull and drab for the remainder until that WTF was that ending. The sound was good and as a life-long fan of movie scores, this one still has one of the best fitting scores in any movie, ever.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://deadline.com/2018/08/2001-a-space-odyssey-imax-rerelease-1202438062/
NoahAg
TCTTS said:

I think this answers your question. An original, vintage one-sheet. About to hang it up...

I don't know. It's got some damage in the corner. A tear on the bottom. I'll have to get it framed. Who knows how long it'll hang in my shop. If you want an offer now, best I can do is $10. Otherwise, I gotta buddy who knows all about movie posters. I can call him and have him take a look.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.