***Official GAME OF THRONES Season 6 (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)***

841,239 Views | 6639 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by hunter2012
OnlyForNow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Juh - (like Judd, but just the Ju) Hair - EEEEs (Like if you were to say the letter E in plurality.)

Juh-Hair-EEEEs
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
quote:
The smaller size thing is a dragon evolutionary deal, not specific to a single dragon or any that are born and raised. It's about generations of dragons that were kept in captivity and bred for decades.

Drogon will be the biggest, the others will always be smaller.
A dragon in captivity doesn't exercise or hunt. It's muscle stimulation and appetite are subdued, which has a direct correlation on its growth and maturation. There's an evolutionary component as well, but it's clear as day that 2 dragons hatched from the same litter will vary in size if 1 is left free to roam while the other is chained.
I take it that dragons are like some fish. They will grow to the size of the environment in which they live. If you keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium, they will be smaller than the same fish that is raised in a 50 gallon aquarium, etc.
t_J_e_C_x
AG
quote:
You're right, I'm just saying it's possible. You think after he left pregnant Lyanna, went back to King's Landing and learned about the Starks he sent her a letter saying "uh, on 2nd thought let's don't name him Aerys."

Personally, I don't think it's Aerys or Aegon. I also thought the camera switched views before she finished the full name.
I watched it just now and it cuts away to Bran before you can honestly see what shes saying and I turned it up all the way hoping there was a whisper, but nothing. Nothing, but music. (Maybe its just me though).

I like the idea that she/they named in Jaeherys. I have to, truly, assume that Rhaegar fully intended to reconcile his marriage with Ellia and name Jon his heir.

The look on Eddard's face shifts when she tells him the name, you can see the division inside of him. He just fought the Targaryens for what they did to his family, now he has to take care of one.
redline248
AG
quote:
The look on Eddard's face shifts when she tells him the name, you can see the division inside of him. He just fought the Targaryens for what they did to his family, now he has to take care of one.
Yep. Super difficult moment for him just then.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
The smaller size thing is a dragon evolutionary deal, not specific to a single dragon or any that are born and raised. It's about generations of dragons that were kept in captivity and bred for decades.

Drogon will be the biggest, the others will always be smaller.
A dragon in captivity doesn't exercise or hunt. It's muscle stimulation and appetite are subdued, which has a direct correlation on its growth and maturation. There's an evolutionary component as well, but it's clear as day that 2 dragons hatched from the same litter will vary in size if 1 is left free to roam while the other is chained.
I take it that dragons are like some fish. They will grow to the size of the environment in which they live. If you keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium, they will be smaller than the same fish that is raised in a 50 gallon aquarium, etc.
That too. They could easily go hand in hand. Either way, the point is that Drogon is big because he was never chained and odds are he will always be the biggest.
OnlyForNow
AG
I also think that a point someone made a few pages ago is getting glossed over heavily.

If Ellia loved Reaghar and knew he wanted three children, but couldn't provide him with a 3rd after the birth of their second; then maybe she was ok with having a sister wife and a 3rd child by another woman.

If that was the case, the the marriage between Reaghar and Lyanna isn't as complicated as some seem to think... IF it is supposed to be legitimate.

yeahtoast
AG
quote:
I also think that a point someone made a few pages ago is getting glossed over heavily.

If Ellia loved Reaghar and knew he wanted three children, but couldn't provide him with a 3rd after the birth of their second; then maybe she was ok with having a sister wife and a 3rd child by another woman.

If that was the case, the the marriage between Reaghar and Lyanna isn't as complicated as some seem to think... IF it is supposed to be legitimate.

After he spurned her publicly at the tournament of Harrenhall? Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupe.
t_J_e_C_x
AG
quote:
quote:
Yep. Super difficult moment for him just then.
I've watched it over and over and over again on YouTube. Hard to focus in on the whisper when getting so sucked into the scene. Such beautiful camera working.

Also, I don't understand where people are saying the Septa was in there. I didn't see anyone like her and, as a matter of fact, the only mid-wife you did see if not even of the same race.

Maybe people say something I didn't. I know there was a second girl when Eddard burst into the room.
MaroonStain
AG
Drogon is male. The other two are female.

More importantly, when/who is starting Season VII thread?!?!?!?!??
t_J_e_C_x
AG
quote:

I think my, personal, problem is the legality of it all. I keep forgetting Targaryens took multiple wives (or husbands/lovers) in some cases. There is nothing, according to Targaryen culture, and their personal "laws", that prevent them from taking a second wife (husband/lover).

I need to get over that. He doesn't need to reconcile his marriage to Ellia. Jon may be, and probably is, a true-born Targaryen and the heir to the Iron Throne.
MaroonStain
AG
Argh...Im a idoit.
Post removed:
by user
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:

Pretty sure they're all male...
t_J_e_C_x
AG
quote:
Sure I will give you 4 months instead of 6. The point being that some sizable period of time that will have to be reconciled at some point. It is not a fatal problem just something that has to be accounted for now that storylines are converging.

My biggest issue with time is with the white walkers. We are now 6 months or a year between the battle of hard home and Danny s arrival in Westeros. What have they been doing all of that time?
I'm fully surprised we did not see the White Walkers in the season finale. They're supposed to be the big bads. Should have cut away at the very end to the White Walkers nearing the wall once and for all.
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:

Definitely all male
OnlyForNow
AG
I think they are waiting for Bran to go through the Wall which weakens it or breaks it.

I don't want to think that this is what brings it down, but logically... there is no reason to wait.

Nothing says that these guys run on anti-solar power and cold weather. It doesn't really seem like they get stronger as it gets colder either, just that they are present now.

In all honesty, it seems that winter is intensified because of them; not so much that they feed off the weather.

I don't think that they have to address it. I do wish that sometimes they showed you what was happening as other things occurred. So when Arya killed the waif, what was going on in KL, the Twins, the north, beyond the wall ETC. How much time passed from when Jamie left the Twins to when Arya kills Walder? That was the girl making eyes at Jamie, so probably not much time, but it takes a while to move out a host that large.
c/o 09 Ag in FW
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I also think she was making an "a" sound to start the name.

But would stand to reason that the name has some form of Jon in it, right?

Why? Jon was named after Jon Aryyn. All of his children(except Sansa) were named after someone close to ned.
Good point.

However, it seems unlikely they'd name him after the guy who just roasted her father alive and hanged her brother, doesn't it?

I could see Rhaegar having named him Jon (for his good buddy Comnington)
AggieSouth06
RE: Books v. Show

First off, I totally understand that this is subjective, so don't take this as me telling anyone that they are "wrong." Just giving my perspective.

I think people over-idealize books 4 & 5 by a wide margin. Books 1-3 are great world-building in service of telling a great (and mostly linear) story. Book 4 clearly wanders off the path in order to establish new characters and situations that will suddenly impact the endgame. It's a little meandering, but I went along with it because I actually found most of book 4 interesting from a world-building standpoint and I was confident that it would ultimately service the greater story. I was willing to go a little non-traditional in terms of telling a complete and coherent story (even knowing that GRRM had been pretty open about the fact that he had planned a 10-year time jump that didn't work out and had to figure out where the hell to go next).

Book 5 was a complete failure in my opinion. Not because it wandered (it did), not because it introduced storylines that went nowhere (it did), not because there's a giant mid-story red herring (there is), not because random POVs pop up towards the end and take us out of any sort of rhythm (they do), but for one reason only: In order to develop all these tertiary storylines, he had to make sure Jon and Dany did NOTHING. So for 1,200 pages, they are indecisive, whiny, mopey and frustrating.

Some people say he meant to do this. He's such a non-traditional storyteller that he wanted you to see how flawed his main characters are. Fine. But he didn't mean to make them boring vortexes of nothingness. That's poor writing.

Long story short: I don't expect any event in any of the books to have the emotional weight of the TOJ reveal last night, even knowing it was coming. Why? Because I like Jon and I'm pulling for him. The show had to go a little more traditional and even contrived to make that happen. If that bothers you, that's a totally valid opinion.

Me? I just want to be told a good story.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Definitely all male
What makes you so sure? Is this explicitly stated somewhere?
marble rye
AG
Great. Now that Jon has been pin-pointed as the character all are pulling for and love, he will be the sacrifice that defeats the WW. Probably goes down w a dragon in the fire to kill them or somesuch. DAMN YOU MARTIN. I DONT WANT BITTERSWEET.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Definitely all male
What makes you so sure? Is this explicitly stated somewhere?

Ummmm in the books (including some of the other books outside the Ice and Fire books, historical books) they are considered to be male. However it is also said that Dragons like some amphibian species can become female and lay eggs. Also their reproductive organs are not externally visible. So....they are considered male until they lay eggs and then they are called she-dragons.

so with none of them having produced eggs we are aware of...these three would all be considered male.

AggieSouth06
Whose job is it to check a dragon's cloaca? Not it.
redbaron788
AG
Official map of the known world for reference (Meereen is about as far from Sunspear as Winterfell)

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Official map of the known world for reference (Meereen is about as far from Sunspear as Winterfell)

Yes.

But ships do travel faster than armies generally. For one thing they can sail 24 hours of the day with crews on rotations.

t_J_e_C_x
AG
quote:
quote:

Here is a better quality one:

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:

Looking at that map gave me this completely insane theory, what if the White Walkers take over all of Westeros, and the story ends with Dany, Jon, and Tyrion flying to Essos to start a new kingdom there? That would be about as bittersweet as I could imagine IMO.
AtlAg05
AG
Doesn't do it justice without the music
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed.
redbaron788
AG
Yeah I know that, ships are also more at the mercy of the weather than overland trips. I was just trying give people a better perspective of the geography. Meereen is really not all that close, especially when having to sail around Valyria.

But whatever, we're just cluttering the thread with more useless crap. People traveled, they met others, traveled again, and ended up where they did to move the story along. The End.
Dro07
AG
So is this world flat?
redbaron788
AG
Cylindrical actually.
BallerStaf2003
AG
It's amazing to me how intricate little clues can be in the show. Jon Snow's biggest advocate is 9 year old Lyanna Mormont.

His mother's name is Lyanna. It's like she's his guardian angel. Just truly amazing by GRRM
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
Sure I will give you 4 months instead of 6. The point being that some sizable period of time that will have to be reconciled at some point. It is not a fatal problem just something that has to be accounted for now that storylines are converging.

My biggest issue with time is with the white walkers. We are now 6 months or a year between the battle of hard home and Danny s arrival in Westeros. What have they been doing all of that time?
Here's the piece you're missing. When nothing is happening, they don't show it. So the time between Cersei blowing up KL and the time between her crowning was a few days, max. Because Jaime saw the smoke when he rode in and then saw the crowning. But then that's the last thing that happened in KL so they don't show anything else.

Now, in other news, Varys leaves Mereen to find a landing place. He HAS a plan, because he discusses this with Tyrion "If I don't come back, you'll know I was wrong". But there's nothing to say that Varys didn't ALREADY HEAR about the explosion in KL when he came up with this plan. He doesn't tell us his plan or where he's going because, as an audience, it is still a secret to us. Varys likely went to Dorne, who he already knew hated the Lannisters, and had them send for Ollena, who he now knew hates the Lannisters so he could recruit them both.

Now, it is possible that he got to Dorne, and heard the news of the explosion, and decided to stay a bit longer in order to wait for them to also recruit Ollena, but the show neither confirms nor denies so we don't know.

But here's the main point.

Jamie leaves the Frays and days, weeks, months could have gone by before Arya shows up. But there's nothing else important happening between that time so we don't see it.

Cersei gets crowned and days, weeks, months could have gone by before Dany sails across the ocean. But there's no longer anything of relevance happening in KL so we don't see it.

Especially so in the season finale, there is more time between events as stories wrap up and everyone transitions to a new moment of "pause". There have been no inconsistencies though and I'll challenge you to find one that cannot be easily explained.
Ambres
AG

Agree .. but only one thing could have made this scene better. After everyone started chanting "King in the North" Howland Reed walks in and correct Lady Mormont that Jon is not Ned son. It would have tied in well with the Tower of Joy scene earlier and would explain where the hell House Reed is at this time.. since they have been MIA. Howland Reed wasn't with Rob at the Red Wedding. His house was charge with protecting the Neck from Southern invaders. I doubt they would have sided with the Boltons.

First Page Last Page
Page 178 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.