***Official GAME OF THRONES Season 6 (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)***

841,231 Views | 6639 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by hunter2012
boboguitar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
I also think she was making an "a" sound to start the name.

But would stand to reason that the name has some form of Jon in it, right?

Why? Jon was named after Jon Aryyn. All of his children(except Sansa) were named after someone close to ned.
MSCAg
AG
quote:
GRRM is screwed.

Since he's taken his sweet time writing, his reveal of R + L = J in the book will fall flat. I cannot think of a way for him to do it now anywhere near the impact of the show.

This is going to happen a lot more and I'm sure he's worried his books will not be as good as the show. Sure he has the fates of certain characters that don't exist on the show. But that isn't going make or break the overall story.

At this point I wouldn't blame him for not finishing the books.

Yeah. I'm guessing the Sept firebomb was what he was referring to in regards to the Red Wedding 2.0.
Post removed:
by user
PatAg
AG
The books will always be better than the show. You are right though, that the reveal will lose impact, but I am sure he will do it much better in the books.
bangobango
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why? Jon was named after Jon Aryyn. All of his children(except Sansa) were named after someone close to ned.
Good point.

However, it seems unlikely they'd name him after the guy who just roasted her father alive and hanged her brother, doesn't it?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
The books will always be better than the show. You are right though, that the reveal will lose impact, but I am sure he will do it much better in the books.
Why is it always better in the books? They each have their advantages, but in the book you'll never have the fantastic music and great direction that you get on screen. There are certainly cases where the show will portray an event better than in books, and I imagine the R+L=J reveal can be one of those.
PatAg
AG
That's why I liked the idea of it being jaeherys as the name. Would look similar with a british person pronouncing it, and that way all of Jon's monogrammed underwear would could keep the J on it.
PatAg
AG
Ok, let me restate it. In My Opinion, the books will always be better than the show.
boboguitar
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good point.

However, it seems unlikely they'd name him after the guy who just roasted her father alive and hanged her brother, doesn't it?

See my other post actually, I think the name jaehaerys is more likely. The maesters argue he was the best ruler that westeros ever had because he valued peace and diplomacy over war. They argue westeros prospered more under him than any other King. Seems very fitting to Jon.
t_J_e_C_x
AG
quote:
That's why I liked the idea of it being jaeherys as the name. Would look similar with a british person pronouncing it, and that way all of Jon's monogrammed underwear would could keep the J on it.
I like Jaeherys. Very Targaryen (cause it is). It just sounds good. It sounds proper. It has a weight about that I feel Jon can carry.

SeattleAgJr
quote:
Ok, let me restate it. In My Opinion, the books will always be better than the show.
wrong. because the show will actually have an ending.

the books, that is looking less likely the older GRRM gets.
boboguitar
AG
I wonder how it's properly pronounced.
boboguitar
AG
quote:
quote:

Not a fan of a ghost writer finishing it?
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
So Viserion and Rhaegon will suddenly spurt up to Drogons size?

They had been chained up for quite a while before being released. I guess you could argue they'd return to Drogons size but I think their growth potential has been stunted. Even if hey continue to grow, no way they catch up to or surpass Drogon IMO. (Either way, they'd still be just as dangerous)
Didn't you people play Heroes of Might and Magic? Black dragons are always the most bad-ass ones. 10 black dragons and an Armageddon spell and you're undefeatable.
AggieChemist
AG
It's simple.

The POV format that Martin chose, and the resulting location jumping, non-linear story told by the TV shows is difficult for stupid people to follow.

If this bothers you, it's an indication of your lack of intelligence.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
quote:
quote:

he has explicitly said this will not be allowed.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

he has explicitly said this will not be allowed.
Until GRRM dies and his wife sells the rights to someone else willing to pay and finish it.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
saw this in the Show only thread.

quote:
quote:
This will be the BEST redirection. Here we think Dany and/or Jon will end up at the top, but it will be Sam.
It's actually GRRM's own "suck it" to show only people. The show version will end up with a ruler whose only real skill seems to be reading.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Also, is it safe to assume that the scene where it shows the Night King was transformed happened at the weirwood at Winterfell? It would give credence to the naming of the castle. It's literally where Winter first fell.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
quote:
Also, is it safe to assume that the scene where it shows the Night King was transformed happened at the weirwood at Winterfell? It would give credence to the naming of the castle. It's literally where Winter first fell.

I thought it was at the tree that the three eyed Raven and Bran were at? I might be wrong
redbaron788
AG
Pretty sure they're three different trees
NC2001
AG
For all those arguing about time travel and timelines, I say screw it. I'm going to wait till the series is over and some nerd goes through all the seasons and makes a "chronological cut" of the series.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
I agree with you.

Personally, I was introduced to GOT in college by a roommate. We binged the first two seasons on HBOGO. The following summer, I picked up the books and read all five in a matter of a couple weeks. Literally could not put them down, even the first two where I knew the macro arc of the story already.

When I started season three, I actually lost interest in the shows because they could never live up to GRRM's writing in my mind. It wasn't until this season that I actually closely followed the shows, as I didn't have the book to compare the shows to.
rwd2012
quote:

Different trees, and this "where winter fell" theory goes back to when men beat the Others back the first time and that was possibly where Winterfell stands. That would be way after when the Children made the NK in the first place in order to save their race.
OnlyForNow
AG
Jamie isn't sworn to protect the king/queen anymore...
redline248
AG
Definitely not the tree in Winterfell. In the episode that Bran sees the first White Walker being created, the tree in that scene is the same one as the tree in the scene that the Night's King touches Bran. The only difference is there wasn't any snow the first time.

Someone asked would they name Jon after the man that killed Lyanna's father and brother - depends on if Rhaegar and Lyanna knew about that. The whole reason Brandon Stark went to King's Landing (and his father followed) was b/c Rhaegar "kidnapped" Lyanna. Presumably, Rhaegar and Lyanna weren't in King's Landing for Rhaegar to meet Brandon's challenge, and were likely hiding out somewhere, or already on their way south. It's possible Rhaegar only learned about the rebellion later, and never knew about how his dad treated the Starks.

For all the people who have mentioned how cold Sansa has become...what about Arya? Holy sh-t! Watch me smile as you bleed out and choke in your own blood.
t_J_e_C_x
AG
t_J_e_C_x
AG
quote:
Definitely not the tree in Winterfell. In the episode that Bran sees the first White Walker being created, the tree in that scene is the same one as the tree in the scene that the Night's King touches Bran. The only difference is there wasn't any snow the first time.

Someone asked would they name Jon after the man that killed Lyanna's father and brother - depends on if Rhaegar and Lyanna knew about that. The whole reason Brandon Stark went to King's Landing (and his father followed) was b/c Rhaegar "kidnapped" Lyanna. Presumably, Rhaegar and Lyanna weren't in King's Landing for Rhaegar to meet Brandon's challenge, and were likely hiding out somewhere, or already on their way south. It's possible Rhaegar only learned about the rebellion later, and never knew about how his dad treated the Starks.

For all the people who have mentioned how cold Sansa has become...what about Arya? Holy sh-t! Watch me smile as you bleed out and choke in your own blood.
Rhaegar should have found out when he led the Targaryen army at the Trident. He had to come back, as a matter of fact he spoke with Barristan Selmy (According to the show) and Rhaegar told him, before he left, when he returned from the Trident (victorious) that "thing will change".
Thomas Ford 91
AG
I saw part of a script from S7E3, where Bran reveals R+L=J to the world...

"Howdy, my name is Bran Stark" he said, "I have come from North of the Wall with great news!" The lords and ladies of the North King's court listened attentively. Bran took a deep breath as he lay on the floor where Meera dropped him. "Our King is not who you think he is, he is not the son of Eddard Stark."

Lord Manderly was the first to speak; "All here know Lord Stark claimed this boy as his own, what evidence do you have that it is not true?" Bran replied "I am the Three Eyed Raven..."

"You're a bird with an extra eye?", asked the Lady Sansa.

"No, that's just my job title. I touched a tree and was traveled back in time. I witnessed my father taking King Jon from his dying sister's arms..."

"Wait, what, are you saying King Jon is the product of Stark incest???", asked Lord Cerwyn.

"No, no, let me finish. King Jon is the son of Prince Rhaegar Targaryen and my Aunt Lyanna Stark, born in Dorne after Rhaegar was killed by King Robert at the Battle of the Trident"

Silence filled the court. Then, Lord Manderly spoke again. "Soooooo, if he isn't Jon Snow, is he a Sand or a Targaryen? I forgotten much as I aged, but I do recall that the Prince was married to a Dornish woman when he died. How do you know the father was Prince Rhaegar?"

"I don't know exactly, my Aunt was whispering. I think she said his name was Jahaerys, or Aerys, or something like that. I didn't see any rings or birth certficates. The Prince wasn't there, but Sir Arthur Dayne was, and Sir Oswell Whent! Meera's father stabbed one of them in the back!"

Lady Mormont spoke up; "I'm only a child, but even I realize a time traveler should gather a few more details. Perhaps you were unable to because you cannot move about on your own."

"I can walk when I time-travel", Bran eagerly replied.

Lord Giantsbane stepped forward; "Bran Stark, I lived most of my life North of the Wall and only once or twice did a tree give me a vision of past. Both times, I had recently eaten peyote." "By chance, did you eat anything before you touched the tree?"

"No, no, I'd had nothing to eat. My undead Uncle had just dropped us off..."

"Did you say undead uncle?", asked Lord Seaworth, Hand of the King. "I thought the undead were the bad guys?"

"My Uncle is the good kind of undead".

"Finally, the King spoke; "I am glad to see you alive, my brother. If I understand you correctly, an undead Uncle Benjen dropped you off by a tree, where you got a job as a bird and touch a tree and visited the past and saw my birth in Dorne to a woman our father never spoke much about? And, my father was a Dragon Prince? I fear that you have been too long out in the cold and need time to heal and regain your senses. We'll talk more then."
OnlyForNow
AG
The smaller size thing is a dragon evolutionary deal, not specific to a single dragon or any that are born and raised. It's about generations of dragons that were kept in captivity and bred for decades.

Drogon will be the biggest, the others will always be smaller.
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
GRRM is screwed.

Since he's taken his sweet time writing, his reveal of R + L = J in the book will fall flat. I cannot think of a way for him to do it now anywhere near the impact of the show.

This is going to happen a lot more and I'm sure he's worried his books will not be as good as the show. Sure he has the fates of certain characters that don't exist on the show. But that isn't going make or break the overall story.

At this point I wouldn't blame him for not finishing the books.
He is screwed in so much as you have described but at the same time, the tables have shifted and now HBO has essentially given him a road map to finish out the Winds of Winter. And sans a couple of poorly done story arc (uh Dorne.....looking at you) it's a helluva a good product he has to work with.

This season has been epic and the last two episodes are literally the best tv I have seen in my life.

No way that GRRM writes a Dream of Spring though. I didn't think it would happen to begin with but HBO owns this now.
Specialized
AG
quote:
The problem with saying that the time travel isn't an issue is the fact that the storylines do intermix with each other.

Take Varys and his time travel. So we know that cersi had blown up the temple and lady Tyrrell had to have time to travel to dorne by the time he was there. So let's say that is a couple of weeks. We then know that he had to travel to Danny and set sail again so that is another couple of weeks or months more likely. So by the time they land back in dorne it will have to be 6 months or so after the explosion.

The samething with brie Ann, Jamie and little finger. Based on Jamie's actions it has to be a month or more between the time he left KL and the time he returned but the show makes it seem shorter based on the actions in Kings landing.

So I agree that it is okay for the show to not have the storylines be in time unison but at some point there must be a reckoning of time as characters and storylines come together.

I really disagree with this post. Your logic has holes in it because you are making two big assumptions about when varys left for dorne in relation to events at the sept and also that he returned to mereen. Danny could have easily left for westeros before the whole sept explosion happening and then picked up varys in dorne (where they also added martell and dornish ships).

They have said many times that the story time lines don't sync up and that they don't show you things in order but order events based on impact. If you just accept that and stop trying to relate apples and dump trucks then I think you'll enjoy it more.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
The smaller size thing is a dragon evolutionary deal, not specific to a single dragon or any that are born and raised. It's about generations of dragons that were kept in captivity and bred for decades.

Drogon will be the biggest, the others will always be smaller.
A dragon in captivity doesn't exercise or hunt. It's muscle stimulation and appetite are subdued, which has a direct correlation on its growth and maturation. There's an evolutionary component as well, but it's clear as day that 2 dragons hatched from the same litter will vary in size if 1 is left free to roam while the other is chained.
OnlyForNow
AG
Disagree on the 6 month thing.

If Varys left and then Meeren siege lasted a few days, then Dany gets back and dragons roast em all in a day or so, dothraki show up soon after, and then ironborn show up. I'm sure that preparations were made for travel immediately. In 2 weeks Varys arrives in Drone, and soon after Sept blew up; Queen of Thrones gets news and then travels to Drone in 1 month from day that sept blew up.

Varys goes back to Meeren, which actually shouldn't take a month, it doesn't seem that far as it is presented on maps... so let's say 2 weeks. So that has been basically 2 months and 1-2 weeks, since Varys left Meeren, on the day that they set sail, another 2 weeks to get back to Dorne (3 months - now) and then 1 month or so in/near Dorne getting ready to head out after resupply.

So looking conservatively, imo at 4 months. Close to 6 but also not close on a smaller time scale.

Additionally, it isn't even "cold" in KL, so it's not appearing that winter is there yet, while the Citadel was releasing all the white ravens... didn't we already see a white raven received somewhere?
redline248
AG
You're right, I'm just saying it's possible. You think after he left pregnant Lyanna, went back to King's Landing and learned about the Starks he sent her a letter saying "uh, on 2nd thought let's don't name him Aerys."

Personally, I don't think it's Aerys or Aegon. I also thought the camera switched views before she finished the full name.
First Page Last Page
Page 177 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.