***Official GAME OF THRONES Season 6 (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)***

823,893 Views | 6639 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by hunter2012
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So we don't know if GreatJohn is dead or not. And we don't know the Umbers true loyalty. But we do know that the North knows that Ramsey killed Roose. And that's a big deal.
bangobango
AG
quote:
The ToJ fight was good, but I'm surprised none of you are really pissed about the details. Why would the show cut out Ser Gerold Hightower from the fight scene, but randomly mention him by name in the very same episode (during the high council meeting). Ned was very specific about the three Kingsguard at the ToJ. Why would the show willy nilly change that detail? Do y'all think they have a specific reason?

Furthermore, Ser Arthur Dayne fought with the great sword Dawn, which legend says was made of meteor fragments. Ser Dayne was the Sword of the Morning, a great office/title/honor, and as such, the only one entitled to carry Dawn. In the book, Ned's honor is shown by saying he personally returned Dawn to House Dayne after the battle. And yet, here, in this episode, the tv guys reduce Dawn to a side sword, to be used in conjunction with some other sword. Again. Why? Why screw with important book details like that for no reason? You're just bringing the nerd wrath upon yourself with choices like that.

The tv guys should have thought out reasons as to why Ser Hightower was not at the ToJ, and why Ser Arthur Dayne was given a Darth Maulesk second sword, when his book sword is one of the most revered swords in history. And if they don't have good explanations for these changes other than "eh, bc we felt like it", then I become very concerned with their stewardship of the rest of the shows plot lines. Nerd rant over.

Count me in the Lord Umber has something up his sleeve camp. He rolled in like too much of a bad ass to not be a good guy

Because most show watchers don't give a flip about his sword.
The Debt
His sword has no place for screen time. We have two seasons left and you want to spend it on exposition about meteors. Go away.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Gerold Hightower might be up in the tower (lol) with Lyanna.
Trident 88
AG
Shag-gy Dog is dead, that is Osha and Rickon, and I highly doubt that Umber is actually a good guy who's dumb enough to risk handing Rickon over to Ramsey.
AggieChemist
AG
quote:
The ToJ fight was good, but I'm surprised none of you are really pissed about the details. Why would the show cut out Ser Gerold Hightower from the fight scene, but randomly mention him by name in the very same episode (during the high council meeting). Ned was very specific about the three Kingsguard at the ToJ. Why would the show willy nilly change that detail? Do y'all think they have a specific reason?

Furthermore, Ser Arthur Dayne fought with the great sword Dawn, which legend says was made of meteor fragments. Ser Dayne was the Sword of the Morning, a great office/title/honor, and as such, the only one entitled to carry Dawn. In the book, Ned's honor is shown by saying he personally returned Dawn to House Dayne after the battle. And yet, here, in this episode, the tv guys reduce Dawn to a side sword, to be used in conjunction with some other sword. Again. Why? Why screw with important book details like that for no reason? You're just bringing the nerd wrath upon yourself with choices like that.

The tv guys should have thought out reasons as to why Ser Hightower was not at the ToJ, and why Ser Arthur Dayne was given a Darth Maulesk second sword, when his book sword is one of the most revered swords in history. And if they don't have good explanations for these changes other than "eh, bc we felt like it", then I become very concerned with their stewardship of the rest of the shows plot lines. Nerd rant over.

Count me in the Lord Umber has something up his sleeve camp. He rolled in like too much of a bad ass to not be a good guy
You make a good point, and yet, as a book reader, I loved the scene and thought the two handed fighting was seriously bad ass. Two swords is a much easier thing to display visually, and demonstrate his prowess than using a special sword with backstory that requires explanation. Hell, I didn't even remember about Dawn until I read this post. I read the books 5+ years ago.
AggieSouth06
quote:
His sword has no place for screen time. We have two seasons left and you want to spend it on exposition about meteors. Go away.

"Guys, we have to get Dany from slavery to captive but revered to Vaes Dothrak to rescue mission to dragon intervention to Mereeen to Battle of Slaver's Bay to fleet to Westeros-bound in 10 episodes. Ideas?"

"Plus, y'know, gonna need 20 minutes or so for meteor sword. So"
Houston Lee
AG
quote:
This...
wangus12
AG
quote:
quote:

Because most show watchers don't give a flip about his sword.
Believe me, I wish they could do loads of exposition on the ToJ scene and make it as close to the book as possible. However, as its been stated, most show watchers won't care. The scene itself has been mentioned in its entirety once in the books I believe. I'd have loved to see Dayne crushing people with Dawn, but the 2 swords more than showed he was a badass. I do wish they'd have keep the speaking parts exactly the same. Ned questioning the Kingsguard was very well written.

I did like the actor for Dayne and Ned. Casted very well.

wangus12
AG
And that is definitely Rickon. Exact same actor. I will still hold out hope for Sh****dog, but the show has not been kind to the direwolves. Which sucks because they are way cooler than dragons.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
quote:

I am really disappointed that they basically cut out the passage from the book. I feel like that dream sequence is something most readers wanted to see. Instead, we spent time showing that ex-slaves aren't that fun to hang out with. Neat.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
quote:

I don't need them to explain anything about the sword or give it screen time. They just don't need to change it without explanation. The books very meticulously keeps track of the great Valyreian steel swords that are left, and the scene with Jon Snow fighting the White Walker shows why. The books imply the remaining great swords are important to the coming war with the undead. These aren't small nerd details to me, but a seemingly important book plot.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
Anyone else pick up on Qyburn introducing the "little birds" to Ser Gregor? Did they call him Robert Strong after Cercei's atonement?
I noticed that too. They have been calling him Robert Strong this whole time in public, but maybe it was just because they were in private.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
Word. The book nerds have spent 20 years analyzing and obsessing over the ToJ scene. It's arguably the most important scene in the books. im holding out hope Ser Gerold Hightower isn't there for a good reason. Ned's recollection is VERY specific to the 3 Kingsguard, even as he feels ashamed to have forgotten the companions he swore to remember. Jory's dad for instance!

EDIT: Furthermore, Ser Hightower was Lord Commander of the Targaryean Kingsguard (as mentioned in the show). Him being at the ToJ lent further weight to the idea that something very important was going down there. Again, I hope he's inside and the show was setting up a second scene. If you're going to cut one of them out randomly, cut Ser Whent out.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
And that is definitely Rickon. Exact same actor. I will still hold out hope for Sh****dog, but the show has not been kind to the direwolves. Which sucks because they are way cooler than dragons.
This. It's Rickon. Let's just hope it's not Sh**** Dog.
Al Bula
AG
As a book person, I found myself not caring at ALL about any inconsistencies between the show and novels. You CAN enjoy both without moaning that some fictitious star sword was left out of the plot because it is basically nothing more than an interesting detail.

If you really want to nitpick, pick on something that is actually meaningful... Like Bloodraven telling Bran he has been stuck in the tree for 1000 years. It's more like 48 years since he went missing from the Night's Watch... Unless Bloodraven isn't the three eyed crow in the show.
boboguitar
AG
Isn't "rickon" a recast? I don't think that's the same actor.

What if rickon was no actually recast and the show is actually tricking us just as much as they are tricking ramsey?
Thunder18
AG
It was the same kid playing Rickon from previous seasons. I think Sh**** Dog is really dead and Rickon is now a full-on hostage to Ramsay that can and will be used against Jon. It would be cool if the Umbers were tricking Ramsay, but I don't see it
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anyone else think it was weird they only hung 4 guys at Castle Black? There was at least 5 guys that stabbed Jon, right?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
I think he's at Last Hearth either with the real Rickon
WTF are y'all talking about? That was definitely Rickon at Winterfell. You know it's the same actor, right?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
I was about to post the same thing.
wangus12
AG
quote:

What if rickon was no actually recast and the show is actually tricking us just as much as they are tricking ramsey?
Nope. Its still Art Parkinson and he's listed in the credits.
boboguitar
AG
Well damn.

So, where the **** is bronn? We need more of his attitude in this season.
wangus12
AG
Away pounding is new wife?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

Nope. Its still Art Parkinson and he's listed in the credits.

was so obviously the same kid....they do change over 3 years but that was the same kid.
FIDO95
AG
Perhaps the Umbers are playing the Lord Manderly's "The North Remembers" role and the murmurs farce is about to come to an end. Question is, does Rickon get flayed before Jons army descends on Winterfell.

Secondly, perhaps we are not done with the Dawn storyline. When Ned reaches the top of the tower and realizes that Sir Arthur Dayne was protecting his sister and newborn, he realizes his error/the truth. Then he returns Dawn to its family and uses a tryst at house Dayne as a cover for the new baby he takes back to Winterfell.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Of course it's the same actor playing Rickon. He just hasn't been on screen for a good year and a half, and kids his age tend to go through this thing called "puberty." Y'all didn't notice that it happened to Bran in basically equal parts?
redline248
AG

Same kid
SouthTexasAg06
AG
Maybe it's already been said, but I'm assuming Rickon is used to incite the Battle of the B*stards?

Count me as one that got giddy when they cut to the TOJ and I didn't mind some of the detail changes.
redline248
AG
Regarding Jon's developments at the Wall last night...did Ramsey ever send his letter to the Wall about wanting his bride back? Jon still doesn't even have knowledge of Sansa, right?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Regarding Jon's developments at the Wall last night...did Ramsey ever send his letter to the Wall about wanting his bride back? Jon still doesn't even have knowledge of Sansa, right?

No not in the show. I think they'll leave that out I mean it was a letter about the fake Sansa in the book anyway.

Or who knows he could send a letter saying he has Rickon and wants Sansa back - he doesn't know Jon was killed, or resurrected, or has left the watch. That could be what unites the north behind Jon.

Urban Ag
AG
quote:
Anyone else think it was weird they only hung 4 guys at Castle Black? There was at least 5 guys that stabbed Jon, right?
Maybe one of them was the one that Wun-Wun splattered the week before?
Boiling Denim
I think Hightower will almost definitley be in the Tower to provide exposition on the whole R+L=J scene. It was no mistake they name-dropped him in the council scene right before(after?) the TOJ flashback.
HeadGames
AG
When Jon fights Bolton, I hope it's very anticlimactic and Jon just instantly kills him in a sword fight. Just totally outclassed by Jon.
wangus12
AG
quote:
Secondly, perhaps we are not done with the Dawn storyline. When Ned reaches the top of the tower and realizes that Sir Arthur Dayne was protecting his sister and newborn, he realizes his error/the truth. Then he returns Dawn to its family and uses a tryst at house Dayne as a cover for the new baby he takes back to Winterfell.
I don't think they'll touch on the storyline of returning Dawn. Most people won't care. I think Wylla (Jon's supposed mother) is something completely made up by Ned.
First Page Last Page
Page 51 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.