***Official GAME OF THRONES Season 6 (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)***

842,453 Views | 6639 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by hunter2012
Thomas Ford 91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The FC theory clears up a lot of inconsistencies. For example, would a hundred people in a market just watch a girl with a bloody stomach? No way. Suppose the blood is just in Arya's imagination. Then she looks like a girl about to have a violent explosive diarrhea emergency. When was the last time you approached someone in serious gastric distress and offered to help? Exactly.

Kill the boy and let the man be born.

Fight Club confirmed. Get. Hype.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I think the Fight Club theory has some merit. More merit than the theory of wearing something under her clothes to avoid injury and using fake blood pouches.

Recall that even in the books it is Arya who calls her the waif. She is not even called the waif in the tv series specifically. Why does she have no name? she is the personification of "no one" in arya's mind perhaps. I mean even Jaqen the master has a name.

If she doesn't become No One you've wasted a lot of time only for her to just go back as Arya and a better fighter perhaps. If you kill her off well you've also devoted a lot of time just to kill her. Most deaths fit into the larger picture, Arya is off by herself death would have no meaning to the bigger picture of the battle in Westeros and her family, etc.

The next episode is titled "No One" so I think we get our resolution there. Makes sense before the battles and other season ending big moments (i assume the basterd bowl, and at the wall perhaps , and in KL, and Dany)

smokeythebear
AG
quote:
I think the Fight Club theory has some merit. More merit than the theory of wearing something under her clothes to avoid injury and using fake blood pouches.

Recall that even in the books it is Arya who calls her the waif. She is not even called the waif in the tv series specifically. Why does she have no name? she is the personification of "no one" in arya's mind perhaps. I mean even Jaqen the master has a name.

If she doesn't become No One you've wasted a lot of time only for her to just go back as Arya and a better fighter perhaps. If you kill her off well you've also devoted a lot of time just to kill her. Most deaths fit into the larger picture, Arya is off by herself death would have no meaning to the bigger picture of the battle in Westeros and her family, etc.

The next episode is titled "No One" so I think we get our resolution there. Makes sense before the battles and other season ending big moments (i assume the basterd bowl, and at the wall perhaps , and in KL, and Dany)

I didn't like this theory, but you make a lot of sense. Arya the person has always been holding on to that piece of herself knowing that needle was hidden. This is the part of her revolting finally trying it's last ditch effort to become someone again and uncovering the hidden needle from herself.

I bet the resolution is something along the lines of the waif walking into the pitch black room, there is a fight that we cannot see, and then Arya walks out of the room, but then shifts into the waif, leaving the audience confused and blown away.
Greeze06
AG
Wait, what is this fight club theory again?
Murder Hornet
AG
The waif = Tyler Durden
bangobango
AG
Problem with Fight Club theory is it is just completely out of character with the rest of the novels. We have seen psychosis in this world and none of it has manifested in that way.
Murder Hornet
AG
So Ian McShane was cast for one episode?! I checked wiki of ice and fire for his character and he seemed rather obscure. Am I missing something? What was his purpose in the show and why cast him for what seems like a throwaway character?
redline248
AG
Wanted a known actor to reintroduce the Hound and I guess have it somewhat believable that he could have survived. I was a little surprised that he was only around for 1 episode, too.
Farmer1906
AG
Maybe he just really wanted to be on the show, but didn't have the time to commit to anything long term.
AGeng25
AG
Honestly, at this point there is no "good" outcome for the Arya story line. If she leaves the Faceless Men and goes back to Westeros, I will feel like her entire trip to Braavos was just to sharpen some fight "skills" that they could have easily written into one season. If she stays with the FM, my eyes will roll and we have to sit through more FM bs for who knows how long. What's the point?

Hopefully the show writers figure out a way to make her matter, but at this point what can she contribute to the overall story?
bangobango
AG
quote:
So Ian McShane was cast for one episode?! I checked wiki of ice and fire for his character and he seemed rather obscure. Am I missing something? What was his purpose in the show and why cast him for what seems like a throwaway character?

To reintroduce the Hound and to show that the Hound is repentant for the horrible things he did on service of the Lannisters. And then to give him motivation to go find the Brother without Banners and presumably meet LSH. Clegan bowl ain't happening this season, in my opinion.
Farmer1906
AG
She goes from a helpless girl (mostly) with a sword to a unimposing badass killer. Arya the girl would stick her sword and finish someone off, but now we have someone who could theoretically kill some of the major players in the show.
AGeng25
AG
quote:
She goes from a helpless girl (mostly) with a sword to a unimposing badass killer. Arya the girl would stick her sword and finish someone off, but now we have someone who could theoretically kill some of the major players in the show.
But they needed 2 seasons to show that? And we still aren't sure if she is capable of being a "badass killer".
Farmer1906
AG
That is where she is at in the book. They have so many characters. Not all 74 can be at the same place doing things constantly. We didn't see Bran, Danny, or Sam last week and all 3 were huge stories the week before.
AGeng25
AG
I get it, but I just don't see the payoff being worth the investment. I hope I'm wrong in the end.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
I get it, but I just don't see the payoff being worth the investment. I hope I'm wrong in the end.
Would you if she went on to assassinate a bunch of Lannister men and took out Jamie? Who the hell knows what is going to happen. I haven't hated the faceless story line as much as most. I enjoyed that part in the book.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
quote:
Problem with Fight Club theory is it is just completely out of character with the rest of the novels. We have seen psychosis in this world and none of it has manifested in that way.
I'm about 75/25 on the FCT on the show and 0/100 on the FCT in the books.
PMD03
AG
Arya story does seem lost and semi-pointless at this time. Hopefully there will be a moment that makes it all make sense. I don't think it can be as easily closed as the Dorne story because the audience actually cares about Arya.

I didn't care about Arya last week. Now that we know Sandor Clegane is alive, with the last shot showing his Hound persona returning, I would sign on to watch (or read) the Arya and Sandor spinoff.

PMD03
AG
quote:
quote:
Would you if she went on to assassinate a bunch of Lannister men and took out Jamie? Who the hell knows what is going to happen. I haven't hated the faceless story line as much as most. I enjoyed that part in the book.
It is enjoyable in the book because it goes into a bit more detail. Arya warging into the cat to make up for her blindness shows that she does have much more potential than just some normal girl. The show hinted at it when Melisandre saw into Arya's eyes and witnessed her future. Two(three?) seasons later, Arya is still just struggling to survive.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
Does anybody think Cersei dies this season? If she doesn't, one of the two truths in Sophie Fisher's Two Truths and a Lie is going to blow up the internet.

Edit - A quick reddit search just told me I'm way late on this realization. And, I learned Cersei's death might not be necessary for the statement to be true.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Does anybody think Cersei dies this season?
no
FightinTexasAg15
AG
quote:
quote:
no

I doubt it'll be this season. I could see it happening next. Too much other stuff to happen the next 3 episodes
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
no

I doubt it'll be this season. I could see it happening next. Too much other stuff to happen the next 3 episodes
What if Arya ends up being the Faith's champion? She could take two names off of her list if she kills the Mountain and, therefore, sentences Cerci to death.
McInnis 03
AG
An interesting reddit perspective that leads me AWAY from fight club theory, in regards to Jaqen instructing waif "don't let her suffer":

quote:
I think that line was less a test for the waif than it was Jaqen realizing that he would have to sacrifice himself to free her and not wanting to suffer whenever he dies. That being said she definitely didn't follow orders and if that is indeed Jaqen and she disobeyed his orders and he survives, I would assume that he would be pissed.
further:

quote:
If that wasn't actually Jaquen himself, I expect he will be the one to find Arya, heal her, and kill the Waif. Arya was never meant to be a faceless man, but the Waif was and lost herself in her jealousy of Arya.

And for the ultimate mind F....
quote:
Calling it now guys.. Yes, it was Jaqen that was sacrificing himself for Arya, and I think with all the hints that were given (the way she walks, cloths, money, putting herself up for bait, looking at the Titan with the broken sword just before) that Jaqen is in fact Syrio Forel. I think "fake Arya" will die in the arms of the real Arya and as he dies his face is shown to be Syrio. Also, Miltos Yerolemou, the actor who plays Syrio, even retweeted this: I'm kinda puzzled why he would sacrifice himself though, maybe because he still owes her a death and she named him?

Thunder18
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
no

What if Arya ends up being the Faith's champion? She could take two names off of her list if she kills the Mountain and, therefore, sentences Cerci to death.

I would have to stop watching the show if that occurred
Trident 88
AG
The problem with Arya's storyline is that she hasn't become bad ass enough. I'm not convinced that her assassin skills are good enough to eliminate everyone on her list like a pro, so I'm not on the edge of my seat like I want to be, waiting for her to return to Westeros and unleash Hell.

In other words, we needed to see more of this:

smokeythebear
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
no

I would have to stop watching the show if that occurred

What if she takes the face of Meryn Trant and goes to fight the Mountain and kills him? Suddenly, Arya could become an AWESOME character!
Hello there
quote:
Several of you arguing medical science in a fantasy show? Do you think The Revenent could actually have happened?

Seriously. This.
Hello there
If Cersei's trial by combat doesn't happen this season it'll piss a lot of people off, including me. They've been teasing it for an entire season, and have only hinted at what Zombie mountain can do.

You don't do a full season of setup and not deliver. Even if it's not Cleganebowl.
Seabreeze
Haven't seen this posted yet, if so sorry for the repost..The theory goes that Arya stole a bag of faces from the House of Black and White, and used them to pull off the assassination of the century. What happened was, the Waif put on Arya's face to try to lure her out of hiding, booking a ship to attract attention. Arya, wearing a stolen face, sees "herself," knows it must be the Waif, and stabs her up accordingly.
Look at the way "Arya" moves! The way she walks and talks; the hands behind the back, the arrogant, clipped sentences, the total smugness as she contemplates her cleverness from the bridge they all scream Waif, not Arya. Where did Arya get all that gold from? Arya has lived more real life than the Waif, and my money would be on Arya outsmarting that smug little prig, not the other way round.

Now Arya has paid a life to the Many-Faced God he's never terribly fussy about which life it is, remember and she can go murder it up in Westeros and gain a 100 percent completion rate on her Kill List. Cersei, Melisandre, Ser Ilyn and the Brothers Clegane are still alive (well, The Mountain is walking, at least) and a girl's work is not done.
redline248
AG
That's an awful, awful lot of complicated steps.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
quote:
You don't do a full season of setup and not deliver.

If only the walking dead knew this
bangobango
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
It is enjoyable in the book because it goes into a bit more detail. Arya warging into the cat to make up for her blindness shows that she does have much more potential than just some normal girl. The show hinted at it when Melisandre saw into Arya's eyes and witnessed her future. Two(three?) seasons later, Arya is still just struggling to survive.
That's why I think we will see Arya "come into her own" in her faceoff with the Waif. That's why I don't buy all these other theories. At some point there has to be a payoff to her training. I think this because, as you said, she was much more lethal and competent in the books than they are showing in the series. I think the reason for that is because the conclusion of Arya's arch this season is that she is shown to be a highly skilled killer and she is going to return to Westerosi and do something important.

In addition, they had to show her struggle with the idea of becoming a cold blooded assassin and weigh and reject that for being a Stark. She was a seriously dark person after seeing what happened to her family, and I think she has turned the corner on that a little and got some of her humanity back. I think that is what the play and her saving the actress was supposed to show.

But since the arch of her story is to have her become a skilled warrior, they can't show that too early. So they drag it on with her struggling and then conclude her arch with a showdown against the waif where we see her do some amazing things. That's where I think they're going with it, anyways.

But watch, they'll probably just have the Waif kill her and she dies in a gutter somewhere all alone.
Ranger222
AG
What if Arya HAS to die to become a faceless man? Haven't seen this floated around. It would make some sense in that dying frees you of all your other responsibilities (just like Jon) and with everyone thinking you're dead, you really are now "no one".

I could see Arya going back to the House of Black and White after this and basically asking to be put out of her misery. Jaquen agrees, and gives her the drink. That would do two things -- it could either heal her just like her blindness and she can say she essentially "died" or it could give the the final transformation she needs to be a faceless man. The other is that now Jaquen knows she was suffering due to the Waif, and allowing Jaquen to take care of her.

That's one of the less messy resolutions I can think of to this, although I'm not sure how satisfying that is
bangobango
AG
quote:
If Cersei's trial by combat doesn't happen this season it'll piss a lot of people off, including me. They've been teasing it for an entire season, and have only hinted at what Zombie mountain can do.

You don't do a full season of setup and not deliver. Even if it's not Cleganebowl.
They're going to show him kill all those faith militant this week.
First Page Last Page
Page 124 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.