***** The Americans : Season 3 *****

40,295 Views | 350 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by BMX Bandit
SeattleAgJr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
What do y'all think about the theory that Pastor Tim is a KGB spy? Otherwise, he might not have a prominent role next season.
is this a theory discussed elsewhere?

I find it hard to believe, as if he was there would have been some hints from other storylines especially the one with the Residentura.
n_touch
He will have a big role now that Paige told him. It will be interesting cause if anything happens to him Paige will blame them.
BMX Bandit
I hope he's not kgb. So what are possibilities going forward?

1-he's kgb
2-he's soon to be dead
3-Paige gets locked in a looney bin
4-he gets threatened to keep quiet or
5-he paid tons of money to use for his church work to keep quiet

Anything else?
aTmAg
AG
I think that if Tim dies then Paige rats on her parents. Either because she has nobody left to confide in anymore, or (if she's savvy) she suspects the Russians did it. I also hope that he's not kgb. That is something broadcast TV would try and would be a sudden shark jumping moment for me.

I think what they might do is frame Tim as a pedophile or something like that. Tim goes to jail and is discredited in pretty much every way. Paige becomes disgusted with him and thinks that maybe her parents aren't that bad off after all. Not to mention she might be turned off on the whole religion thing which the Ruskies would be a big fan of.
CowtownAg06
AG
Remember what they did to that Polish guy in season one......
FiTxAg04
AG
Nice theory. Something just isn't right with Pastor Tim. Could definitely see this.

I wish they would have shown us Martha's reaction or given us some closure with the stealth picture lady with the controlling husband (how is he not dead?), instead of boring us (maybe just me?) with Nina scenes. There may be a payoff next season, but I've been bored with her storyline this year and feel gypped that so many lines were left dangling.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Nice theory. Something just isn't right with Pastor Tim. Could definitely see this.

I wish they would have shown us Martha's reaction or given us some closure with the stealth picture lady with the controlling husband (how is he not dead?), instead of boring us (maybe just me?) with Nina scenes. There may be a payoff next season, but I've been bored with her storyline this year and feel gypped that so many lines were left dangling.
I don't really care about Martha, in fact I enjoy the episodes she isn't in. NIna's story also isn't interesting to me anymore either. Stan's story I think will get more interesting now given how he is going to be allowed to work without the red tape. Phillip I think is going to have a crisis of conscience which will further a rift between him and Elizabeth. Elizabeth is going to be more ruthless now than she ever has been. Paige is a wild card. I think Pastor Tim will keep her secret for now, but urge her to confess it to the right people. I hope that he isn't a KGB plant and used to test her loyalty to the cause. Oh and Henry remains blissfully ignorant of everything that is going on around him.

I will be interested to see how the story between Stan's ex and Phillip goes though. There is no way that Phillip can be completely honest, but at the same time he needs someone who isn't in his espionage world.
aTmAg
AG
It's not that I dislike Martha, it's that the Martha situation makes me uncomfortable. The lies that she is being subjected to, and the devastation she will likely experience is looming over everything. I think that is the point. Phillip knows it too. We are supposed feel a little slimy. I don't think the show wants to spare us an easy out on Martha anymore than Philipp has an easy out. I think the point is that that line of work is not all about cool gadgets, fancy cars, hot women, etc.
oragator
I think the Tim storyline will be that he doesn't judge and doesn't want to break up Page's family (for her sake), so it will be the whole season of wondering if he spills, with some intermittent threats from Phillip.
Post removed:
by user
SeattleAgJr
If anything I will bet he tells Paige to go to someone in authority - Stan Beeman since he is a neighbor and she knows him (remember the long funny look a few episodes back). That will tie the two storylines together and lead to the endgame,

My guess:
Philip and kids get away/immunity
Elizabeth gets arrested and traded to Russia for Nina.
Keegan99
AG
Grantland

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/the-americans-season-three-finale-review-fx/
Keegan99
AG
The Evil Empire speech, delivered March 8th, 1983 (the date that was the title of last night's episode):

aTmAg
AG
quote:
If anything I will bet he tells Paige to go to someone in authority - Stan Beeman since he is a neighbor and she knows him (remember the long funny look a few episodes back). That will tie the two storylines together and lead to the endgame,

My guess:
They would never give immunity to (nor trade away) somebody like Phillip and Elizabeth. They have murdered Americans. Not to mention that Elizabeth is a HUGE catch compared to Nina. They would want a whole lot more for her than that.
Paladin05
AG
quote:
I hope he's not kgb. So what are possibilities going forward?

1-he's kgb
2-he's soon to be dead
3-Paige gets locked in a looney bin
4-he gets threatened to keep quiet or
5-he paid tons of money to use for his church work to keep quiet

Anything else?

6-she wasn't talking to Pastor Tim.
Post removed:
by user
SeattleAgJr
quote:
quote:

My guess:
They would never give immunity to (nor trade away) somebody like Phillip and Elizabeth. They have murdered Americans. Not to mention that Elizabeth is a HUGE catch compared to Nina. They would want a whole lot more for her than that.
For full details on the entire illegals program? I am sure they would make it fit the story.
Bunbury
AG
Having the pastor be a spy would be a huge plot shortcut, doesn't seem like the type of writing these folks are into.

I was really confused that we didn't see Martha all episode, then I started dreading a flashback to why Phillip was so upset and it would be some grim scene involving Martha.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I can't see Pastor Tim being connected with the Rooskies. I just think he ends up folding into Paige's dilemma, complicating it further for Phillip and Elizabeth (and yet another source of conflict between those two).
Paladin05
AG
She did ask to talk to him...but we only hear one side of the conversation. I agree the most likely conclusion is that she was talking to Pastor Tim...but some interesting possibilities if she was not.
Keegan99
AG
An interesting idea, but it just seems way too deus ex machina for this show.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Pretty sure Paige mentioned Pastor Tim's wife by name at the start of the phone call (the wife answered).
DeangeloVickers
AG
agree...I even think she asked to speak to him (that was when my recording quit
aTmAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

My guess:
For full details on the entire illegals program? I am sure they would make it fit the story.
The only details that the illegals would know that is valuable are the identities of the other assets in America. They wouldn't know a whole lot about things at home in Russia. They would probably try to follow them to find their handler and then do surveillance on him to find the other illegals. As soon as one illegal is arrested, the others would go on high alert and possibly leave at a moments notice. So they'd try to get get all their identities quietly.
Keegan99
AG
Q&A with executive producer:

http://tvline.com/2015/04/22/the-americans-paige-tells-pastor-tim-season-3-finale-recap/
tunefx
AG
Just discovered this thread.

I think Paige's phone call to Tim is intercepted/recorded by the KGB. Tim and his wife die on a mission trip all the while Paige is at home with her parents. She never suspects them and she ends up warming up to them as they support her emotional loss.
et98
AG
I don't think Phil & Elizabeth end up recruiting Paige to the Soviet side; I think Paige ends up recruiting Phil (and maybe even Elizabeth in a last minute shocker) to the US side. I think that's what the final season will be focused on.

In some ways, I think that's already begun...especially with Phil. But even with Elizabeth, I can see some of those seeds already planted. When Paige was disgusted with the idea of the grandmother giving Elizabeth to the government to make her a spy and then asked if Elizabeth would do that to her, I think there was some sincerity in Elizabeth's voice when she said she'd never do that to Paige.

Regardless, I think every season has been better than the season before it, so I'm looking forward to next year.
Squirrel Master
AG
I'm sure I've missed something, but what is our basis for saying that next year is the last season?
double aught
AG
I'm pretty sure the head guy at FX said he wants five seasons despite the anemic ratings.
Quad Dog
AG
quote:
I think Paige's phone call to Tim is intercepted/recorded by the KGB. Tim and his wife die on a mission trip all the while Paige is at home with her parents
The church does have that mission trip to Kenya coming up, that Philip booked for them.
Ol Jock 99
AG
While dropping the Kimmie storyline was sudden, it isn't that unusual for FX. Happened several times in Justified. And in the final season of The Shield, the was a great minor storyline about Dutch (my favorite secondary character) and a serial killer that was dropped with no explanation. That is the danger of their production on the fly style I guess.

Really enjoying Stan's story a lot more. Should be great next year. Philip is almost done. And Elizabeth isn't CLOSE to cracking; Reagan calling her mother (and everyone else) evil erased any doubts.
Post removed:
by user
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, I'd say its way too early to consider they just dropped the Kimmie story. It's only been a couple of episodes and there is a lot going on.

My theory - They end up killing Pastor Tim. That further cements Paige and is the final trigger that turns Phillip against Elizabeth and the KGB, and then eventually Stan gets roped in.
Redstone
AG
Great season.

No way the Centre does not have a Jennings phone tap. I think Pastor Tim dies in a Philip-inspired accident, and that is a major break for him....in combo with Stan being Henry's new dad.

I also think Hans gets involved with Kimmie...the show is way too smart and tight to drop minor plot points totally.

And man in Nina red fire hot.
Redstone
AG
Remember also all the foreshadowing about Philip and Elizabeth disagreeing about faith (from est to church). Philip likes Tim. Hell, he may repent in some form. They've teased it plenty. Also remember that Philip and Stan almost met at Martha's apartment. I'm betting one of them does not survive season 4. It's about time someone major got offed, especially as we will get five seasons.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.