*** DC Extended Universe ***

819,143 Views | 7643 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guess they took the tweet down and replaced it. Just fixed it.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Gee, I hope everything works out for his character in the movie.........

canadiaggie
AG
I don't know what they were thinking with Alec Baldwin as Thomas Wayne. You can't unsee Baldwin in any role that he's in. Every time he shows up, I just think "oh look, it's Alec Baldwin" and I'm really good at discarding that kind of stuff and immersing myself in the movie. He breaks immersion way too much.
Dro07
AG
The most obvious person to play Thomas Wayne has to be Sean Bean!
AliasMan02
AG
dromo07 said:

The most obvious person to play Thomas Wayne has to be Sean Bean!

Best idea ever.
FTACO97
AG
So now we're just recycling actors from previous Batman films?

And I'm not feeling Joker from those pictures...
Dro07
AG
uh thats because he isn't the joker yet he has to grow into his role
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Hmmm. Our first official look at The Joker himself...

TCTTS
AG
I do admit that I at least like the "vibe." An early-'80s Joker ironically set to The Guess Who (and other '60s/'70s/early-'80s pop) is a cool aesthetic. Like if The Joker was born out of HBO's Vinyl or The Deuce, with a strong dose of Taxi Driver. I can get behind that, in concept.

But the actual look of The Joker himself is admittedly underwhelming in that brief glimpse.
Jim01
AG
100% agree. Liked it until that last actual glimpse and was very underwhelmed how he looked in the makeup.
Sex Panther
AG
Interesting... I think that is either an early iteration (like Daredevil and Spider-Man's original homemade suits) or simply this movie is going to be pretty much completely separate from a normal Batman universe.

I actually am pretty intrigued at this point and think it could be a really cool take for the same reasons TC stated... Looking forward to what Phoenix does in this role, because the Joker is an amazing character.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'm guessing that make up is an early version of the Joker and we see him evolve into something more sinister as the movie progresses.
Flashdiaz
AG
I kind of like it... I hope they don't try to make him scary looking like the latest iteration of IT trying too hard to look evil.
AliasMan02
AG
I think Phoenix, sans makeup, actually looks pretty amazing. Creepy and doesn't really look like himself.

I'm interested in this conceptually and because Phoenix is a good enough actor and crazy enough to do something great. I just don't know what the movie is. Is this Falling Down with clown makeup? That could be wild.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I'm interested but I really feel bad for anyone stepping into this role. What Ledger did to that character is likely never going to be topped.
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

I do admit that I at least like the "vibe." An early-'80s Joker ironically set to The Guess Who (and other '60s/'70s/early-'80s pop) is a cool aesthetic. Like if The Joker was born out of HBO's Vinyl or The Deuce, with a strong dose of Taxi Driver. I can get behind that, in concept.

But the actual look of The Joker himself is admittedly underwhelming in that brief glimpse.
this film is exactly why i wish DC had a better recent track record.

i actually love the "vibe" and if DC had shown us that they can execute and deliver quality films, i'd be very stoked about this.

but they haven't, so instead of being stoked, i'm somewhere between ambivalent and guardedly optimistic.
TCTTS
AG
WB is finally under new leadership, if that counts for anything, but there's obviously still no Feige-equivalent at DC. That said, at least it's not part of the DCEU. I actually have quite a bit of faith in the movie itself. In a vacuum, I think it's probably going to be a worthwhile effort, I like everyone involved, the concept is somewhat interesting, and again, the aforementioned "vibe" is seemingly pretty cool.

What bugs me, though, is the lack of any kind of a connection or (announced) game plan to eventually tie this iteration of the character to Batman himself. What's the point of a Joker origin story if it doesn't eventually lead to a stand off with Batman? Maybe the movie itself will be so good on its own that it doesn't matter, but the lack of context provided on WB's part at this point is frustrating.
fig96
AG
That seems to sort of be the trend outside of Marvel.

Sony is building a SpiderVerse with no Spider-Man integrated into it, and DC is developing a bunch of side character spinoffs because they can't get the main ones right.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Good God that is bad.
AgfromHOU
AG
That's probably just his failed clown look, not his actual Joker look
AliasMan02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Good God that is bad.

I'm willing to give it time. For starters, I think this is probably Stage 1 of a gradual metamorphosis. Also, they MUST do something different than we've seen in at least the last two incarnations, if not three. I'm not really giving DC the benefit of the doubt or anything... just think it's too early to judge.
Sex Panther
AG
What AgfromHOU and Alias said
jabberwalkie09
AG
Three incarnations for live action: Leto, Ledger, Nicholson. Sure Nicholson's was quite some time ago, but I think between Ledger and Nicholson you have probably the best two villain portrayals for DC. For the same character.

Not sure how many animated versions there's been, but Mark Hamill's Joker is still the best animated one imo.
FancyKetchup14
AG
So, TDK is on Netflix and this scene is just...spectacular. The acting, the writing, the score. Why someone would want to attempt to replicate the Joker after this performance is just beyond me.

fig96
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

So, TDK is on Netflix and this scene is just...spectacular. The acting, the writing, the score. Why someone would want to attempt to replicate the Joker after this performance is just beyond me.

I'm not the biggest fan of Nolan's Batfilms as Batfilms (felt like they missed on some key aspects of the main character), but he and Ledger absolutely nailed the Joker.

He can be anything from a homicidal maniac to a harmless prankster, and this scene hits that perfectly.
canadiaggie
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

Don't bash me for this, but people other than Ledger have turned in spectacular performances as the Joker. Mark Hamill has done it through his voice alone.

The whole "agent of chaos" thing is overdone nowadays. Sometimes the Joker needs to be a homicidal maniac just for the sake of being a homicidal maniac, not because of some deep rooted philosophical conviction that he's the anti-Bats.
Sex Panther
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

Man, Ledger was just incredible. Legendary performance.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

While I'd love to take this as a good sign, I'm assuming they liked all the other scripts too.
TCTTS
AG
No doubt. But at least the "they" in this case is a different group, as WB is under new leadership.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

No doubt. But at least the "they" in this case is a different group, as WB is under new leadership.

Which, and I think you'll agree, is part of the problem with the DCEU. Too many cooks in the kitchen.
Flashdiaz
AG
Will only watch if it's actually called LIL' BATMAN
First Page Last Page
Page 99 of 219

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.