*** DC Extended Universe ***

819,113 Views | 7643 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by TCTTS
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They should just hire Trump to play Thomas Wayne

Now that I would pay whatever they wanted to see
TCTTS
AG
I still think you were right. I think he was cast, and I don't think the character was Trump-esque, but I think Baldwin may have then thought there was already too much stink on the role and probably didn't want to deal with an entire year's worth of scrutiny and questions over it. Just a guess, though.
PatAg
AG
dave94 said:

I hate when these kinds of topics come up and people say that they don't want social issues, real world problems, etc. in their entertainment.

These kinds of things are in almost every bit of pop culture, because the creators all have their own perspective when they write, produce, sing, direct, everything. If you like a piece of work, well, you're liking the manifestation of that artist's voice, which of damn course comes from their own experience or opinion on any number of issues.

So you can like it or not, but even the most basic of movies or television is definitely a tool for that artist to express their take on things.

If you can come to terms with the fact that artists don't always share your beliefs, then you can either enjoy the work or not, based on personal taste. I know I've enjoyed plenty of movies and tv shows even if they have instances of things I don't agree with.
We should attack the idea for being lazy and bad, not because it's referencing a president you voted for.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
It's hard to say who really dodged the bullet in this:

People who wouldn't be able to watch his performance without trying to find the "Trump" in it.

or

Baldwin for not being a part of the clown show that is the DCEU.

I think in this situation, we all win.
Jim01
AG
Well this is interesting...

SeattleAgJr
Not surprising at all. DC had shown no interest in getting a new Superman movie into the pipeline. And Henry's commitment to The Witcher series is going to lock him up for more than a year.

pretty ridiculous of DC to go with a Supergirl movie, because THST'S what everyone wants...
AliasMan02
AG
I can at least see reason to focus on Supergirl (trying to capitalize on the success of WW and the and her TV character's popularity) and delay things with a Superman film, but man... what a waste of Cavill's talent. An overall terrible run through the DCEU.
rhutton125
AG
Wow! Is it time to bury this thing yet? If you can't get through 5 films without recasting your Batman and Superman, why even go on?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Quote:

but man... what a waste of Cavill's talent. An overall terrible run through the DCEU.
Too true.

This is 100% WB/DC's fault in wasting this character in their movies. Cavill made a worthy Superman.

I hope that this finally kills the DC "extended universe." Let the Aquaman movie come out and that be the final movie in this 'Justice League' storyline. That movie is going to bomb anyway.

They can continue to make Wonder Woman movies, though. The sequel is set in 1984 so they dodged the timeline bullet with this. She can continue these solo movies and be the sole survivor of these franchises.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I just hope we can get back to making some good Batman movies now that the DCU/Snyderverse appears to be collapsing.

DC could start putting out some amazing movies if it focuses on the characters and good storytelling instead of forcing a larger universe that's always looking ahead of itself around the next corner.
Thanks and gig'em
Olsen
AG
SeattleAgJr
https://deadline.com/2018/09/superman-henry-cavill-supergirl-warner-bros-1202463120/

The word has been out that Warner Bros. has been mulling a completely different direction with its Superman canon for some time, even considering casting Michael B. Jordan in the role down the road. But at the present moment a Supergirl movie is the studio's priority as Deadline exclusively broke back in August. Oren Uziel is working on the Supergirl script.

TCTTS
AG
From Cavill's manager. If I'm reading this correctly, he's not OUT out, and could potentially return down the road (as in years from now), but it's probably over for now...

TCTTS
AG
As much as I disliked the execution of Man of Steel, the basic story, the look/design, the score, and especially Cavill himself were all phenomenal. Granted, I had a hard time imagining a Man of Steel sequel after all the turmoil/story developments that have plagued the franchise since, but I still wanted to see Cavill get one more shot in the cape. Sucks that we'll likely never see it.

That said, ultimately, I'm glad to see this universe burning to the ground. It's time to re-imagine the character, give him his own, separate franchise/universe, but wait at least five years (if not more) to do it.
SeattleAgJr
Superman is just a bad character. He is way too powerful for there to be real threats without having to come up with something extremely convoluted. The fact that his only primary weakness is Kryptonite again means you have to have a convoluted set of circumstances to put him at risk.

He is a great character to have stories set up around him. But not for him to be the main star.

Hell, even most of his villains are pretty damn lame at this point.

and let's be honest. As far as the movies go, Batman is only really interesting because of his villains. Not because of who he is and what he does. We go to the Batman movies to experience the villain. For Superman, how many versions of Lex Luthor must we suffer.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
They should reboot and make the first movie a Superman movie where Lex Luthor becomes President of the United States. But without Superman's knowledge Lex is becoming President to stop the alien threat Darkseid, et al. And go from there.

Really they need to scrap everything and plot out a 10 year 15 movie plan. And not make movies to make movies.
dvldog
AG
So in true WB fashion, since the TV Supergirl is successful, they'll most likely recast for the movie...right?
AliasMan02
AG
dvldog said:

So in true WB fashion, since the TV Supergirl is successful, they'll most likely recast for the movie...right?

Not even a question. Might even make her a dude just to mix it up.
MooreTrucker
AG
AliasMan02 said:

dvldog said:

Not even a question. Might even make her a dude just to mix it up.
Well according to Seattle's post above, they wanna make Superman black, so there's that.
M.C. Swag
AG
Henry Cavill's best attribute was his looks. He had the charisma of a potato. Having said that, I'm not sure any actor could breath life into the laziest comic hero ever written.

DCEU needs to be imploded and re-started. Just make Wonder Woman movies and shelve the rest.
TCTTS
AG
Shelving Batman would be one of the dumbest things they could do. All for shelving the rest, though.
Aggies76
AG
Superman is not a bad character. When the story is told in the right way, he's the best superhero we have.

Yes, he's overpowered. But it's what he does and does not do with his power that makes him an inspiring character.

I thought Cavill was an excellent Superman. It's too bad that someone didn't write a good script for him.
bearamedic99
AG
Is tv Supergirl actually popular? How does its ratings compare to the other arrowverse contenders?
MooreTrucker
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Is tv Supergirl actually popular? How does its ratings compare to the other arrowverse contenders?
Flash is #1, Supergirl #2, Black Lightning #3 on the CW.

Legends and Arrow are #5 and #7.

All will be back.
SeattleAgJr
bearamedic99 said:

it is not "popular" under any objective criteria other than WB's own metrics, but it does good enough for a WB show that it keeps WB happy.
SeattleAgJr
MooreTrucker said:

bearamedic99 said:

Flash is #1, Supergirl #2, Black Lightning #3 on the CW.

Legends and Arrow are #5 and #7.

All will be back.
And Legends is the best show of the group.

Campy as all get out and at time ridiculous acting, but the stories are so damn outrageous and the characters are having fun almost all the time, that it is the best of all the series.
Sex Panther
AG
Arrow is in last?? And lower than Legends?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Sex Panther said:

The last couple of seasons have been pretty bad IMO. It really went down hill around the time that Ras Al Ghul was on, and by the end of the fourth season it was bad. I think that's around the time most of us that followed the show on this board stopped watching. I think it being in last place is well deserved.

Now I just wait until the season is over and turn it on in the background on Netflix while I do work.
bearamedic99
AG
where did you find your ranking of CW shows? Where does Supernatural fall?
MooreTrucker
AG

where did you find your ranking of CW shows? Where does Supernatural fall?
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/cw-2017-18-season-ratings/

The viewership ratings are in the second batch at the bottom. Supernatural is in the top four in both charts.
SeattleAgJr
Sex Panther said:

felicity
jabberwalkie09
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

bearamedic99 said:

it is not "popular" under any objective criteria other than WB's own metrics, but it does good enough for a WB show that it keeps WB happy.

Let's also not forget that one of the reasons that Supergirl came to fruition is because of the feminist ideals behind and those that developed the show. That's continued since it jumped from CBS to the CW.

In fact, I want to say that in an interview with Marc Guggenheim he explicitly said that he wanted to do more social commentary and bring that into all the Arrowverse shows. I remember us commenting on one of the episodes of Arrow that brought up gun control, though fairly neutral in a way that would "start a conversation," but some of us feeling it was rather forced. So add that as another reason of why the show continues at the CW.
MooreTrucker
AG
Yeah, that love/marriage story pretty much did in Arrow. They started to get away from it some this past season and that helped. But the "two teams feuding" thing was pretty dumb too.
MooreTrucker
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

SeattleAgJr said:

bearamedic99 said:

Let's also not forget that one of the reasons that Supergirl came to fruition is because of the feminist ideals behind and those that developed the show. That's continued since it jumped from CBS to the CW.

In fact, I want to say that in an interview with Marc Guggenheim he explicitly said that he wanted to do more social commentary and bring that into all the Arrowverse shows. I remember us commenting on one of the episodes of Arrow that brought up gun control, though fairly neutral in a way that would "start a conversation," but some of us feeling it was rather forced. So add that as another reason of why the show continues at the CW.
I did get a little of that from SG with the gay sister/marriage story, and the gun control thing, but it wasn't terrible. I didn't see much of that in the other shows.

Black Lightning, OTOH, was unwatchable with all of the BLM/cop hating storyline that filled the first 3-4 episodes.
jabberwalkie09
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Yeah, that love/marriage story pretty much did in Arrow. They started to get away from it some this past season and that helped. But the "two teams feuding" thing was pretty dumb too.

I think that is part of the problem, it's a small part of it. The larger issue is that the show has a large ensemble cast and they seem to be kind of going in circles. At least with them getting married we could put the will they/won't they behind us.

Besides Olicity, killing off Laurel Lance to give us Dinah Drake (I think) and bringing in Black Siren turned off some.
First Page Last Page
Page 97 of 219

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.