*** DC Extended Universe ***

819,629 Views | 7643 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by TCTTS
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Superman 2: No Zach Snyder
AgMarauder04
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Superman 2: No Zach Snyder

I thought BvS was Supes 2?
israeliag
AG
Men of Steel
jackie childs
man, i finally broke down and watched Justice League this weekend.

i really want the DCU to work and i thought if i put off watching JL long enough, my expectations would be so low that i might actually enjoy it.

but man...that was rough. it was neither fun (like the MCU or WW) nor thrilling (like the nolan batman movies). there's no need to rehash any specific criticisms, but if Aquaman sucks, they really just need to make a couple of WW movies and let the rest of the team sit out for a while.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Now that Snyder's influence has, for the most part, been fully purged, if DC can actually keep Affleck in the fray, and forget about doing another Justice League movie for a long while, I could be down with them just knocking out not-appalingly-bad solo movies for the next few years.

I mean, something like this would be a pretty decent slate...

12.21.2018 - Aquaman

04.05.2019 - Shazam!
11.01.2019 - Untitled Wonder Woman Sequel

TBA 2020 - Untitled The Flash Project
TBA 2020 - Birds of Prey

TBA 2020/21? - The Batman
TBA 2020/21? - Batgirl
TBA 2020/21? - Green Lantern Corps
TBA 2020/21? - New Gods
TBA 2020/21? - Untitled Man of Steel Sequel

Granted, Batgirl and New Gods, in particular, sound ridiculous, but if they can keep Leto's Joker out of Birds of Prey (the all-female spiritual sequel to the Suicide Squad), and McQuarrie actually agrees to do the Man of Steel sequel (sans Eisenberg's Luthor, please), combined with Matt Reeves directing an Affleck-led Batman movie, Warner Bros./DC at least has a shot at making some pretty cool solo movies. Basically, as long as they don't rush to do teams-up like they did with BvS and JL, now that the arms race with Marvel is essentially over, if they can just concentrate on making good/fun solo movies, I'd be down with that. Heck, if Superman makes a cameo in Shazam!, or Wonder Woman makes a cameo in The Flash movie, I'm fine with that as well. As long it's done organically and not in service of another stupid, rushed Justice League movie, my tune on DC could change pretty fast.
Brick Tamland
I would like to see Cyborg in the Flash movie, especially since his movie was seemingly scrapped
Brick Tamland
They're still working on the lightning bolt effects on the suit, but it looks good here

https://instagr.am/p/BjDizkYFZ6i
Brick Tamland
Someone asked the director what he would do if people don't like Shazam
Brick Tamland

jackie childs
so you liked affleck as batman?

i generally like affleck, but i did not think he was very good in either BvS or JL. i'm not sure how much of it was bad writing vs. bad performance, but it really missed the mark for me.
Brick Tamland
Maybe he's talking about from a continuity standpoint.

I like Ben as Bruce Wayne in both movies (although his character should be more confident than he is in JL), but only in BvS did I like him as Batman. I wouldn't mind a recast, but DC needs less drama around it, not more.
Brick Tamland
Brick Tamland
Found on Reddit

TCTTS
AG

Sex Panther
AG
The Penguin is maybe my least favorite Batman villain. But he was solid in the Arkhamverse games, and I've seen a few modern iterations in which he was better (Batman Telltale Game). But he's never felt like anything more than a goofy crime boss that isn't much of an actual threat to Batman.

Would rather see Black Mask in that type of role. Wouldn't be surprised with what we've seen so far, to get a variation of Red Hood/Arkham Knight. I still wish we could get a Court of Owls adaption which could be done with one of those as the leader.

Also, I know he seems like a silly character, but Mr. Freeze is actually pretty fantastic.
fig96
AG
Sex Panther said:

The Penguin is maybe my least favorite Batman villain. But he was solid in the Arkhamverse games, and I've seen a few modern iterations in which he was better (Batman Telltale Game). But he's never felt like anything more than a goofy crime boss that isn't much of an actual threat to Batman.

Would rather see Black Mask in that type of role. Wouldn't be surprised with what we've seen so far, to get a variation of Red Hood/Arkham Knight. I still wish we could get a Court of Owls adaption which could be done with one of those as the leader.

Also, I know he seems like a silly character, but Mr. Freeze is actually pretty fantastic.

Honestly, there's so many great villains. As you and I have discussed the Court of Owls would be fantastic, so would Scarecrow, Riddler (he was great in Zero Year) Black Mask, Hugo Strange, Killer Croc, or even Clayface or Man Bat if they wanted to go more supernatural.

Granted they've wasted a few of the interesting ones in Suicide Squad but there's still lots of great options.
Sex Panther
AG
I'd love to see a real deal Scarecrow, since he was kind of a throwaway in Begins, although Cillian Murphy did a great job with what he was supposed to be. The Arkhamverse Scarecrow is probably one of the best designs I've ever seen.

AliasMan02
AG
Sex Panther said:

I see the appeal of having a strictly non combat character like Penguin be the foil for Batman. Especially if he had legitimate power and resources and his criminal dealings are tough to bring to light.

Always wanted Philip Seymour Hoffman to play the character.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. Almost in the vein of Jack Nicholson's character in The Departed or something. Menacing and intimidating, but also just a bit off/goofy in a frightening way. And of course with way more resources at his disposal.
Brick Tamland
I read somewhere that they want the Penguin to be more physically imposing than what most people think of when they think of Cobblepot
TCTTS
AG
Interesting. I keep hearing Josh Gad's name thrown around as well, but if they do go the more menacing/imposing route, I think I'd want someone older.
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

Interesting. I keep hearing Josh Gad's name thrown around as well,

Oh dear god...
Dro07
TCTTS
AG
To be completely transparent, I'm currently doing a project with Gad, and he's an incredibly nice, affable, and intelligent guy. And maybe there's a Batman movie where he would kill it as The Penguin, but yeah, I don't think he'd be the right fit/tone for a Matt Reeves take.
Brick Tamland
It would make sense to go older, since Affleck is an older Batman and Alfred mentions missing the days of exploding wind up penguins in Justice League
Bruce Almighty
AG
Do people not like Penguin? Batman Returns was the best Batman movie until Dark Knight.
Sex Panther
AG
I like Gad fine as an entertainer. And he seems like a really nice and genuine guy so glad to hear, and of course I hope whatever you're doing with him is a huge hit... but yeah, I just don't see that fit at all other than he kinda looks like The Penguin?

Nothing would be better than being proven wrong, but I already don't really like The Penguin and like you said I just don't see Gad in this type of role for a Matt Reeves Batman movie.

I did like your take on The Penguin being like Nicholson in The Departed. In fact, just get Nicholson. First person to play two Batman villains.
TCTTS
AG
Damn it, that would be AMAZING.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jonah Hill?
TCTTS
AG
That's a great point. Forgot about Alfred's off-handed mention of that in Justice League.
Brick Tamland
They could conceivably have Black Mask and Penguin as villains, with Penguin being the main one. Between Alfred's comment and Janus buildings being present in Justice League they've laid Easter eggs for the two characters. I just wonder if The Batman will be a prequel or not. We already know it won't be an origin story, which is nice.
YouBet
AG
Ugh, The Penguin sucks.
Brick Tamland
Patty Jenkins and others are posting WW84 stuff, so I think we can assume Wonder Woman 2 takes place in 1984

Here's to hoping Cheetah is a better villain than Ares
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

Agreed. Almost in the vein of Jack Nicholson's character in The Departed or something. Menacing and intimidating, but also just a bit off/goofy in a frightening way. And of course with way more resources at his disposal.
i couldn't think of the guy's name (toby jones), but when i read this post, i thought of Jones' performance in the most recent season of Sherlock. obviously not very physically imposing though.

First Page Last Page
Page 82 of 219

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.