*** DC Extended Universe ***

819,117 Views | 7643 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by TCTTS
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why does Slipknot look like Rambo?
COOL LASER FALCON
My comically-uninformed reactions to the picture:

• Harley doesn't look like a bad guy. Maybe that's what they're going for, but she looks like she belongs in a romantic comedy or a high school coming of age movie, not in a super hero flick. Also, more on the nose tattoos (ugh).
  • If you told me any of the dudes holding guns were playing Deadshot, I'd believe you. All the dudes look incredibly generic.
  • This take on Killer Croc is way different than anything I've seen (Batman animated series and the Arkham games), but I like this interpretation if he's going to be working with a bunch of other people
  • I know it's early, but a big red flag for me is that I haven't seen anything regarding the plot of this movie. It has been 1000% style over substance.
swimmerbabe11
closer look...

jabberwalkie09
AG
Man... the more I see, the more I think, "Yep, this is going to be a redbox title."
Fat Bib Fortuna
That picture is something they would have done when GI Joe came out.

Saxsoon
AG
Daddy's little monster?
BigRobSA
quote:
Man... the more I see, the more I think, "Yep, this is going to be a redbox title."
I concur. I don't even know anything about "Suicide Squad", but this looks REALLY dumb.

They need to steal some idea-guys from Marvel or something. Their "universe" building is HORRIBLE.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Shouldn't Captain Boomerang have been photographed with....I don't know................maybe a boomerang somewhere on him? Seriously. Without the caption he's nobody.
tamusc
AG
Wow, the costumes on Arrow and Flash are far better than the ones in that photo.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
Wow, the costumes on Arrow and Flash are far better than the ones in that photo.

I thought the same thing when I saw the picture.
swimmerbabe11

I still hate Harley.
Dro07
AG
harley is the least of the worries
swimmerbabe11
...cosplay better than the real thing?

TCTTS
AG
That set pic is actually kind of cool. I at least like the military aid angle.
swimmerbabe11
So....her shirt says "Daddy's little monster" and her jacket says 'property of Joker'

Seriously?

Really?

TCTTS
AG
Ok, I'll agree that THAT'S super lame. What is it with the characters having to have their issues/motivation/IDs literally spelled out on their clothes/tattoos???
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
So....her shirt says "Daddy's little monster" and her jacket says 'property of Joker'

Seriously?

Really?

That's pretty accurate I'd say. It's on the nose a bit, but Harley is absolutely obsessed with the Joker and will do anything he says.

She looks alright... I think she's one of those characters that is so popular with hardcore fans that it would be pretty tough for them to give her the seal of approval on the first glimpse. I think the Joker reveal has to do with people complaining about her appearance as well.

Do agree with others though that Croc looks good but should be much taller and bigger. Should be at minimum 7 feet tall and 400 pounds.
redline248
AG
At least she's hot?

Maybe after filming/editing croc will be bigger?
Dro07
AG
quote:

Seriously?

Really?

Do you know the story of her? She is obsessed to the max with Joker. She was his shrink and he turned her. I think some of that stuff is spot on. like i said she is the least of our worries in this film
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:

Seriously?

Really?

Do you know the story of her? She is obsessed to the max with Joker. She was his shrink and he turned her. I think some of that stuff is spot on. like i said she is the least of our worries in this film
I don't think it's necessarily wrong, it's just so..."literal".
BigTimeAlum
AG
Burn this whole thing with fire and start over. As a huge DC fan, I find their complete lack of ability to build a consistent, coherent universe personally insulting.....
BigTimeAlum
AG
And by "Personally insulted" I mean every time this thread receives an update, I feel as if a WB Exec has gone back in time and slapped 12 year old me right in the face....
Dro07
AG
I can see that
israeliag
AG
Wow, I do not get y'alls hate for this at all.

Looks good to me.

I feel that if this exact same movie was released by Marvel people would be creaming themselves, but because it is DC there's a predisposition to just take ****s on it.

Except for Will Smith, each of these characters look like they are ready to commit suicide for each of their own reasons.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
I feel that if this exact same movie was released by Marvel people would be creaming themselves, but because it is DC there's a predisposition to just take ****s on it.

That's because Marvel has done everything right, and DC has done everything wrong. Why shouldn't people be skeptical of this?

I'm still looking forward to it, but I'm definitely not quite as amped as I was. I'll stay positive though.
rhutton125
AG
I admittedly don't know the DC universe as well as I do Marvel, but Marvel tends to showcase characters with a bit more color and personality than what we've seen here. I see two guys here that would best be described as "military guy with gun," and two more as "guy with jacket."

As an example, Star Lord may have looked like "guy with gun," but he was in a film with a green woman, a huge tatted-up ripped guy (6'6", whereas Croc is 6'2 and wears normal clothes, apparently), a humanoid raccoon and a giant tree.

You can see how one cast reveal might cause some excitement, or show more vision, than the other. Obviously DC is going for a darker tone - and clearly more realistic than Guardians of the Galaxy - but it leaves a lot of the characters looking bland. And those that don't (like Katana) almost appear as too unrealistic. Like, "we're all dressing normal - why do you have that silly mask?"

I won't judge a movie from a tweeted cast photo. But as of right now, these characters seem pretty generic and yet incohesive. We'll see how things translate onto film.
wangus12
AG
If I were one of the direct understudy's to the Marvel Universe Runners, I'd learn as much as possible and then go build D.C.'s universe.
TCTTS
AG
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/05/05/bruce-timm-approves-of-harley-quinns-suicide-squad-look
israeliag
AG
quote:
quote:

That's because Marvel has done everything right, and DC has done everything wrong. Why shouldn't people be skeptical of this?

I'm still looking forward to it, but I'm definitely not quite as amped as I was. I'll stay positive though.
Because it's only a picture (that c'mon - doesn't look as bad as what is being made out of it), and it's a film directed by David Ayer (who, except for one act [the last one in Fury] has has a pretty good track record).
wangus12
AG
I always thought the Arkham games had Harley's look done perfectly.

AliasMan02
AG
Picture aside, what was the strategy, here? How does this excite a movie consumer that loves the MCU and is eager to give DC a try? What is the plan?

That's the big difference between Marvel and DC.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Because it's only a picture (that c'mon - doesn't look as bad as what is being made out of it), and it's a film directed by David Ayer (who, except for one act [the last one in Fury] has has a pretty good track record).

I'm just explaining the reasoning. I don't think it's terrible, but I don't think it's good.

I think Harley is pretty solid.
I think Croc is too small.
I think Deadshot with the mask looks good.
I think the other stuff is pretty generic.

And I like David Ayer a lot. I'm hopeful that the movie will be good. Suicide Squad is a cool idea.
fig96
AG
quote:
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/05/05/bruce-timm-approves-of-harley-quinns-suicide-squad-look
This hits on probably the most key thing that could be said in the first sentence:
quote:
A lot of people think Paul Dini and Bruce Timm should be running the DC Movieverse.

And I think that hits on a lot of why people are having a hard time with the DC stuff.

I'm a huge Batman fan and would love nothing more than for these films to be nails, but we've already seen outstanding characterizations of most of these characters in the Batman animated series. Marvel started from scratch, for the most part, and set our expectations with what they released, but DC needs to show they're living up to and exceeding the work done by Timm and Dini and so far that doesn't seem to be happening.

A friend of mine said it well, that his big issue is what DC seems to feel is fit for public consumption. The photo may not be as bad as it's made out to be, but it doesn't give us the chills or get folks really excited to see the film.

Marvel, on the other hand, just gave us this for Civil War.
israeliag
AG
quote:
quote:
This hits on probably the most key thing that could be said in the first sentence:
quote:
A lot of people think Paul Dini and Bruce Timm should be running the DC Movieverse.

And I think that hits on a lot of why people are having a hard time with the DC stuff.

I'm a huge Batman fan and would love nothing more than for these films to be nails, but we've already seen outstanding characterizations of most of these characters in the Batman animated series. Marvel started from scratch, for the most part, and set our expectations with what they released, but DC needs to show they're living up to and exceeding the work done by Timm and Dini and so far that doesn't seem to be happening.

A friend of mine said it well, that his big issue is what DC seems to feel is fit for public consumption. The photo may not be as bad as it's made out to be, but it doesn't give us the chills or get folks really excited to see the film.

Marvel, on the other hand, just gave us this for Civil War.
That's a good point. Maybe it's early so we don't know, but there's no Feige for the DCCU. At least, I'm hoping/assuming that it's not Zack Snyder. As much as I like him as a director and visual guy, he doesn't seem to be a good plot creator, and works best with others material.
israeliag
AG
I was reading Phil Miller and Chris Lord's interview re: Last Man on Earth, and noticed that it came out a month ago that they are involved with developing The Flash. Maybe I have crappy memory, but I think I missed that.
First Page Last Page
Page 13 of 219

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.