Avengers: Age of Ultron Official Synopsis

64,845 Views | 368 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So any readers wanna give us a cliffs notes on Ultron's history? I read the wikipedia but like most super hero wikipedia's I read I just ended up getting confused and thinking this is ridiculous.

Why is Ultron so big and bad? He seems like he'd actually be pretty easily defeated. Looks like basically another Iron Man... I would think Thor could handle him alone.

This also seems like a LOT for one movie. Hope this doesnt get too bloated, although Marvel has never done anything to suggest they'd mess it up.
texasaggie04
AG
quote:
So, who would be killed off?

Tony Stark and Cap are probably off limits.
Since they made Thor a chick, could they kill him off and bring she-Thor back later?

My best bet would be Hawkeye.

I think a lot of it has to do with the actors' contracts. I think RDJr isn't signed on past Avengers 3, so that's probably when he retires/dies.

Are we supposed to see the Vision in this movie? Was he in the trailer and I missed it?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:
So, who would be killed off?

Tony Stark and Cap are probably off limits.
Since they made Thor a chick, could they kill him off and bring she-Thor back later?

My best bet would be Hawkeye.

I think a lot of it has to do with the actors' contracts. I think RDJr isn't signed on past Avengers 3, so that's probably when he retires/dies.

Are we supposed to see the Vision in this movie? Was he in the trailer and I missed it?
RDJ has one more film on his current deal, which everyone expects to be Avengers 4, not 3. He has also signed on to be the de facto villain in Cap 3, which is a separate deal. I think most expect him to have a small role in Avengers 3, and to occasionally reprise his role as Stark (but not Iron Man) down the road.

This reminds me that I haven't compiled my evidence/theory about who will die in Ultron or perhaps the start of Cap 3... need to do that, because I think it's as good a theory as any.
ScottH_01
AG
Speaking of characters that could die... Pepper would be a good one, would really help drive Stark into the antagonist role in Cap3.
ScottH_01
AG
I didn't see Vision in the trailer, but he's on the poster.
KidDoc
AG
This looks incredible, man Marvel is killing it!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Noblemen06
AG
quote:
Thanks for the link!
R0GUE
AG
quote:
So any readers wanna give us a cliffs notes on Ultron's history? I read the wikipedia but like most super hero wikipedia's I read I just ended up getting confused and thinking this is ridiculous.

Why is Ultron so big and bad? He seems like he'd actually be pretty easily defeated. Looks like basically another Iron Man... I would think Thor could handle him alone.

This also seems like a LOT for one movie. Hope this doesnt get too bloated, although Marvel has never done anything to suggest they'd mess it up.

Ultron is a major threat, one of the biggest in the Marvel U in fact, because he is an ever-changing, always adapting AI that is light years ahead of any other technology, because he's managed to upgrade himself. It's the same basic plot line as Terminator. Pym (or in the case of the movies, Stark) created an AI that got out of control, evolves past the point he can control it, and now Ultron can self replicate and amass armies of robots all under his control. He can hack into govt. systems and launch nukes. He can shut down cities electrical grids. He is like a living walking computer virus.

Moreover he's unkillable. If you destroy his host body, he simply transfers his AI into the cloud. If you try to upload a virus into his programming, which is the most effective way to take him out, he's still kept a back-up of his program on some hard drive out there some where.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
quote:
She-Hulk is one of Marvel's all time best characters though.
Pretty sure her book just got canceled after 12 issues. Yikes.

Tbh 12 is pretty good for a solo series that isn't Spider-Man, Wolverine, or Hulk. Most solo series get cancelled after 6. Anyway I really liked it and Shulkie has had a fairly recent successful series that went 33 issues. Plus both this series and the previous got a lot of critical acclaim.

She-Hulk is not just "Hulk as a woman". She is a humorous character more akin to Deadpool and Guardians if the Galaxy than Hulk. She maintains her intelligence in Hulk mode and practices as a lawyer as a big green chick because she garners more respect that way.

There was a really good letter to the editor in the most recent Thor issue about female Thor I thought. It was from a female reader who used to cosplay as Thor at conventions way before this news was announced because she loved Thor. She would apparently get threats and hateful comments from time to time. When they announced the new Thor news she said she cried tears of happiness. I like to focus on those stories, not why "a female Thor sounds stupid."
rhutton125
AG
I think it's just a matter of, for the current trilogy of trilogies that is the Avengers universe, adding more and more heroes could be a very bad thing. As of Avengers 2 we'll have some combo of Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Captain America, Nick Fury, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, War Machine, Vision, and all the Guardians of the Galaxy somewhere out there. I think they run a risk of becoming too bloated, at least without killing off some major characters. And with many of the actors signed on for multiple movies, it's unlikely that they go for a Game of Thrones -esque murder spree.

She-Hulk, She-Thor, etc may all be fine. But introducing them by Avengers 3 may be too much. In theory, they should be gearing up for a finale at that point, not tossing in new origin stories.

THAT SAID... if they keep making an Avengers 4, 5, 6 etc. and RDJ leaves, etc. - I'd have no problem with some of the less prominent heroes joining the cast.
ScottH_01
AG
quote:
quote:
Thanks for the link!
Not sure if your being an ass or not. I was posting from my phone and figured anyone that was interested, could, you know, use a search engine and find it in about 20 seconds or so.

Regardless, here is the poster, Vision is in the upper left corner.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
I think it's just a matter of, for the current trilogy of trilogies that is the Avengers universe, adding more and more heroes could be a very bad thing. As of Avengers 2 we'll have some combo of Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Captain America, Nick Fury, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, War Machine, Vision, and all the Guardians of the Galaxy somewhere out there. I think they run a risk of becoming too bloated, at least without killing off some major characters. And with many of the actors signed on for multiple movies, it's unlikely that they go for a Game of Thrones -esque murder spree.

She-Hulk, She-Thor, etc may all be fine. But introducing them by Avengers 3 may be too much. In theory, they should be gearing up for a finale at that point, not tossing in new origin stories.

THAT SAID... if they keep making an Avengers 4, 5, 6 etc. and RDJ leaves, etc. - I'd have no problem with some of the less prominent heroes joining the cast.
I agree with everything you said. I'm only talking in the case of replacing someone from the main cast, or for smaller roles. I DO think Carol Danvers should take on a main role at some point, but I don't think any one had a problem with that either.
rhutton125
redline248
AG
So vision is supposed to be the magneto looking dude floating over there?
R0GUE
AG
^ That's correct.
Phat32
AG
This looks awesome - love Ultron.
tamusc
AG
Here's a better picture of The Vision on a leaked Avenger's poster (he's right above Cap).

Phat32
AG
That movie is going to make so much *******ed money.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think it could break the $600M mark domestically. Though SW Ep VII probably usurps it next year.
AgMarauder04
AG
Who's that Asian guy...my Marvel's a bit rusty.
tamusc
AG
quote:
Who's that Asian guy...my Marvel's a bit rusty.
It's a new Asian Avenger to help Marvel in the Chinese market after the debacle that was the GotG localization. Kind of like how the last act of the new Transformers movie was inexplicably in China just to improve the movie's performance in China.
CGSC Lobotomy
I wonder if they will go the "Jocasta" route with Ultron.

At one point, Ultron creates a female version of himself called Jocasta.

IIRC, both Jocasta and Vision rebel against him at different points in their storyline: Vision because he wants to be more human, and Jocasta because she doesn't think that Janet should have to die in order for her to live.
Phat32
Phat32
AG
That is probably held for a sequel...introducing Ultron is enough for one movie.
SF2004
AG
quote:

So pretty much you are concerned about them turning out like the actually comic books... yeah me too.

Comic books gave us these wonderful IPs and amazing art. However, go try and read some comic books. You will find the most confusing and convoluted story lines out there. You can't say go pick up the infinity graphic novel and read it. Nope, you have to figure out where all the back story is located across multiple IPs and issues. Civil War? Yeah right, you have to go figure out and read Avengers disassembled, then house of M or some such, etc.

I am hoping that the movies do not get this out of whack. They are doing great and GOTG proved that with a good movie some of the lesser IPs can be successful.
redline248
AG
I picked up civil war and read it without any of the background or prior comics. Except the occasional character or minor detail, I had no problem.
SeattleAgJr
With Avengers 3 being two movies, what is likely to happen is that the Avengers break up at the end of Avengers 2 (that is the current rumor), due to Ultron and the events that occur in Cap Am 3.
For Avengers 3A, we have the new Avengers - Falcon/Vision/Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver, Black Panther, Dr Strange, Ant Man, Captain Marvel

But the main bad in 3A either is Thanos or leading to Thanos and requires the bigger group which leads to Avengers 3B =
Old scool Avengers + New School Avengers + GotG to all fight Thanos.

And Marvel and Disney make a quadrillion bucks.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
aint it cool news has posted some spoiler-y merchandise/promo images including one that tells the back story of both Vision and Ultron. Spoiler space follows

here's the link to all the pics: http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=30378559&postcount=46

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

FL_Ag1998
AG
I wonder why they didn't just stick with the original comics-based origin story for Vision and Ultron, just replacing Pym with Stark/Banner. This background story for Ultron doesn't seem nearly as compelling to me as the comics-based one.
Red Five
AG
Agreed, the comics Ultron is much more compelling as a character than MCU Ultron from what we would be led to believe based on that paragraph.

Although watching him in the trailers I did feel the overwhelming sense of futility, despair, and menace that I would expect from Ultron, so I think they will still pull it off well.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
New trailer debuting during the NC game on Jan 12.
AMW2010
AG
I've never heard of vision.... Is it a human? Or technology in a suit made from banner/stark? Or something from space?
tamusc
AG
Potential spoiler if you're unfamiliar with the comics.

Vision is an android (think Data from Star Trek, but with some crazy superpowers) that was, at least in the comics, created by Ultron to aid him. Vision realized that Ultron was crazy and aided the avengers in stopping Ultron, eventually becoming an Avenger himself. Based on the images above, they are changing (or at least tweaking significantly) the origins of both Vision and Ultron.

Vision wiki
AMW2010
AG
Thanks! I don't care about spoilers, especially since I prolly won't remember since a it's like 6 months away...

I watched and read the comics growing up, but didn't remember vision
tamusc
AG
New Trailer tonight during the game

Avengers: Age of Ultron Trailer 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.