Chivalry in 2024

4,118 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Ags4DaWin
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was in the elevator of the office building this morning and it was packed, but I could hear 2 women talking on the other side. They were loud and didn't care if they were heard.

One woman complained that in the train none of the men would stand up for her and give her their seat. The other woman nodded and said "I wonder who is raising them?". Then the first woman goes "Good luck getting a girlfriend with that kinda attitude!".

Then the first woman complained about how men had no chivalry these days and said most did not stand up for a pregnant woman. Then she goes "I am 4 months pregnant. I am not showing but I am". The second one nods her head.

They were loud throughout as if hoping to take jabs at the men around them in the elevator.

Questions to the folks here are:

• This is 2024, not 1924. Why do women expect chivalry when they are "liberated" and "better than men"?
  • Why does this woman expect men to give her their seat in the train when she herself says she is not showing? Maybe they may have given up (I would have) if I saw a pregnant woman.
  • Why is she trying to shame publicly? Imagine what she is posting now on her social media accounts.

Wolfpac 08
AG
Women did this to themselves. They cry equality and "we can do everything a man can do" - then they get all PMS whenever they aren't treated like a delicate flower.

You want to be treated the same as men, fine. Buckle up, bc it isn't the fun power trip you make it out to be.

ibNervy
jetch17
AG
They have big cans?
Wolfpac 08
AG
My wife has a friend - 33 years old and single - was dating a guy and broke up with him recently. One of the reasons she cited was that he tried too hard to show chivalry. Opening doors for her, etc - "it makes me feel like he thinks I can't do things for myself - I can open my own doors…"

Women have beaten the chivalry out of men
Ags4DaWin
They have all the same rights as men, and yet demand the privileges and considerations of womanhood.

Personally if they want the same rights as men I want to see them carry the same responsibilities.

For example, force them all to sign up for selective service and risk getting thrown overseas to die in someone else's war. That's a prerequisite to vote for men.
StinkyPinky
AG
Let's address the elephant in the room; What the hell were they doing out of the kitchen?
MouthBQ98
AG
3rd and 4th wave feminists socially bullied males into this, and set up a circumstance where it at least appears some women would like to have their cake and eat it also. If we as a society chose to abandon the historical legacy and social expectations of traditional roles, the benefits are cast out along with the costs.

I think it's not unreasonable we come to a broad social compromise and look at both intent and result on a case by case basis, and decide that it's not condescending to simply be nice, and there are some social traditions that have real time tested value in them and aren't either selfish or random.

I chose to hold the door for everyone. I'll give up my seat to women, or children, or the elderly or disabled. The intent is to be kind to those who by their circumstance would benefit more from the seat than I would.

infinity ag
jetch17 said:

They have big cans?

Couldn't check out the cans as they were on the other side of the elevator car and there were a few folks in between.

They were both 5/10 or lower, I could see their faces. Maybe someone would give up their seats if they were hotter.

jetch17
AG
Well esp if they had bigger cans
wangus12
AG
Wolfpac 08 said:

My wife has a friend - 33 years old and single - was dating a guy and broke up with him recently. One of the reasons she cited was that he tried too hard to show chivalry. Opening doors for her, etc - "it makes me feel like he thinks I can't do things for myself - I can open my own doors…"

Thats why I will continue to be as chivalrous as possible. Opening doors, walking on the road side of the sidewalk, holding the umbrella, filling up her tank. All ways for me to establish my dominance lol
NoahAg
What is a woman?
Wolfpac 08
AG
wangus12 said:

Wolfpac 08 said:

Thats why I will continue to be as chivalrous as possible. Opening doors, walking on the road side of the sidewalk, holding the umbrella, filling up her tank. All ways for me to establish my dominance lol

I actually require my wife to open doors for me
javajaws
AG
OP you should have asked one of them if they wanted to come over. You know, to clean your house and make dinner for you.
Flashdiaz
AG
I was told to not assume gender.
Al Bula
AG
These women were over 35 I bet.
vin1041
AG
Women always complain!
infinity ag
Flashdiaz said:

One of the women made that comment too. She said "maybe they weren't men", and they both laughed.
infinity ag
Al Bula said:

Yes, around 35.
StinkyPinky
AG
infinity ag said:

Al Bula said:

Yes, around 35.
Out of a 100? No wonder they were so bitter.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
just read this. its making a comeback.

Claude!
Changing social mores often leave people nostalgic for the "good" old days.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

Why do women expect chivalry when they are "liberated" and "better than men"?
The same reason they only want equality in lucrative/prestigious fields. Never seen a feminist demanding equal representation to pour highway tar or be a roofer in august.
Aggie Dad 26
Wolfpac 08 said:

Your wife's friend will never be happy and maintain a healthy relationship with a man. $10 says she has daddy issues
Aggie Dad 26
infinity ag said:

Flashdiaz said:

One of the women made that comment too. She said "maybe they weren't men", and they both laughed.

If it had been a pregnant woman on a train wanting a seat and everyone there was female they would all be low key jealous of each other in some twisted way
The Porkchop Express
AG
infinity ag said:

I was in the elevator of the office building this morning and it was packed, but I could hear 2 women talking on the other side. They were loud and didn't care if they were heard.

One woman complained that in the train none of the men would stand up for her and give her their seat. The other woman nodded and said "I wonder who is raising them?". Then the first woman goes "Good luck getting a girlfriend with that kinda attitude!".

Then the first woman complained about how men had no chivalry these days and said most did not stand up for a pregnant woman. Then she goes "I am 4 months pregnant. I am not showing but I am". The second one nods her head.

They were loud throughout as if hoping to take jabs at the men around them in the elevator.

• This is 2024, not 1924. Why do women expect chivalry when they are "liberated" and "better than men"?
  • Why does this woman expect men to give her their seat in the train when she herself says she is not showing? Maybe they may have given up (I would have) if I saw a pregnant woman.
  • Why is she trying to shame publicly? Imagine what she is posting now on her social media accounts.

Chivalry isn't about a woman's expectations, but what about you as a man, should do to be kind to other people. Opening doors, giving up your seat, etc., takes a very small amount of effort in the grand scheme of things, but can lift someone else's spirts or make their day a little better.

I don't do a lot of public transportation outside of Disney World, but on the buses to and from the parks, I always give up my seat for any woman, any senior citizen, or any young kid, and my own children - who are both girls - have been taught to do likewise.
GAC06
AG
Wolfpac 08
AG
Quote:

I don't do a lot of public transportation outside of Disney World, but on the buses to and from the parks, I always give up my seat for any woman, any senior citizen, or any young kid, and my own children - who are both girls - have been taught to do likewise.

So you're equating women to the elderly and small children? And you're teaching your daughters to see themselves (as girls/future women) in that same light?
StinkyPinky
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

infinity ag said:

Chivalry isn't about a woman's expectations, but what about you as a man, should do to be kind to other people. Opening doors, giving up your seat, etc., takes a very small amount of effort in the grand scheme of things, but can lift someone else's spirts or make their day a little better.

This
The Porkchop Express
AG
Wolfpac 08 said:

Quote:

So you're equating women to the elderly and small children? And you're teaching your daughters to see themselves (as girls/future women) in that same light?
I'm teaching them to be polite. Not sure what web you're trying to weave here.
Wolfpac 08
AG
No web to weave - just an observation that you grouped those specific types of people together
Aggie Dad 26
Wolfpac 08 said:

Quote:

Insert *don't do that* gif
StinkyPinky
AG
Wolfpac 08 said:

No web to weave - just an observation that you grouped those specific types of people together
I really hope this is schtick because I'm going to hope you're not that stupid and unable to rationalize simple things.
KidDoc
AG
I hold doors and give up my seat for any gender. It is called being nice and kind.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Wolfpac 08 said:

I don't understand your point.
LupinusTexensis
KidDoc said:

I hold doors and give up my seat for any gender. It is called being nice and kind.

Same. And I'm not going to let a door slam in the face of a man, woman, or child.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.