Above ground swimming pools

5,224 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 62strat
Philo B 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
While growing up in the 70s and 80s, I had a friend who had two above ground swimming pools. First was a round one, maybe 15 or 20 feet across, then her family upgraded to a larger oval(ish) one. This was in a small Texas town. They finally built an in ground when she was in her very early teens. Man, we had a great time in those above ground pools. Huge amounts of chlorine, no deep end until the oval one, jumping off the side, lumpy dirt bottom below the plastic. When they built the in-ground pool, it felt like a country club resort, but we were getting older and didn't hang out as much.

So I guess, have you ever spent time in an above ground pool? So much fun as a kid. No way I'd get one now. I think they're trashy.
BuffaloREV
AG
In middle school in Oklahoma, we lived in a neighborhood of acre plus wooded lots. We convinced dad to get a pool, but we had to help do the work to set it up. We worked forever clearing rocks for the pool, setting it up… and just as we are about to fill it with water… someone left the deed restrictions in our mailbox with one line highlighted… no above ground pools.
histag10
AG
We have one. Guess that makes me trashy. We also live out in the country without neighbors close by, and this was a fraction of the cost of an in ground pool- with 3 young kids it's great for us.
Philo B 93
histag10 said:

We have one. Guess that makes me trashy. We also live out in the country without neighbors close by, and this was a fraction of the cost of an in ground pool- with 3 young kids it's great for us.

Hmmm, I really didn't think that I might be calling a Texags friend trashy. Let me clarify that only the pool is trashy, not the owner. Mostly I just like using the word "trashy".
vmiaptetr
AG
We have an above ground pool, and live out the country. I hate seeing it, and I also feel like it's trashy.

That being said, dropping $100K+ on an inground pool ain't gonna happen. My kids can go swim in the pond if they want in ground....and they have.
Bazooka Joe
AG
I went to a friends house who had an above ground pool with an elevated wood deck built completely around it. Was a great setup and we had a lot of fun.
histag10
AG
Bazooka Joe said:

I went to a friends house who had an above ground pool with an elevated wood deck built completely around it. Was a great setup and we had a lot of fun.

I'm planning out our deck right now. I'm thinking about putting a cabana/gazebo in one corner for my smoker and grill. Will likely put a "bar top" area with pergola on part, so you can sit outside the pool with the pool rail being bar height.

If you google above ground pool decks, there are some really nice set ups.
histag10
AG
Philo B 93 said:

histag10 said:

Hmmm, I really didn't think that I might be calling a Texags friend trashy. Let me clarify that only the pool is trashy, not the owner. Mostly I just like using the word "trashy".

It's okay. I'll forgive you. I just won't let you hang out in my super cool pool.
Bazooka Joe
AG
We also installed one those $100 kids pool before our tykes could swim. Those were great for what they were..a $100 department store pool. A one year, under filtrated pool. But it got us through the years until we could the "digged in" the kids longed for.

We used the first one for two years. Lesson learned. Got a new one for year three and started digging in year four.
ausag
AG
This is my setup.

https://imgur.com/a/kXcsruN

I will admit, the first year I installed the pool (and before the deck), it wasn't as nice and didn't get much use by the family. Just felt like a big tub of water.
But once I installed the deck, it completely changed the look and feel. Family spends way more time hanging out there now! Feels like a real pool for a fraction of the cost. Definitely spent money more on the deck built out, but worth it, and still considerably cheaper than an inground pool!

Bazooka Joe
AG
Looks like a lot of fun!
Philo B 93
Is there a reason for the railing on the deck?
maroon barchetta
Prevent falls?
Bazooka Joe
AG
Philo B 93 said:

Above ground, brotha.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
35 years ago or so, our neighbor was taking his down because his kids had left home. My dad snagged it and put it up, and then built a deck around it. It was great! Lots of fun to be had diving, doing tricks, and making whirlpools. Perfect for teens and teens.
Aggie Dad 26
Philo B 93 said:

While growing up in the 70s and 80s, I had a friend who had two above ground swimming pools. First was a round one, maybe 15 or 20 feet across, then her family upgraded to a larger oval(ish) one. This was in a small Texas town. They finally built an in ground when she was in her very early teens. Man, we had a great time in those above ground pools. Huge amounts of chlorine, no deep end until the oval one, jumping off the side, lumpy dirt bottom below the plastic. When they built the in-ground pool, it felt like a country club resort, but we were getting older and didn't hang out as much.

So I guess, have you ever spent time in an above ground pool? So much fun as a kid. No way I'd get one now. I think they're trashy.

I've never owned one. I've swam in several to include at a friend's house as a kid and as an adult.

So you admit it was fun but now you're to good for it?
Philo B 93
Aggie Class of 2026 said:

Philo B 93 said:

I've never owned one. I've swam in several to include at a friend's house as a kid and as an adult.

Yes, I know, that's messed up, right? Also, it's "too good", not "to good".

Dang, I'm losing so many friends today.
Mayor West
AG
Philo B 93 said:

Aggie Class of 2026 said:

Philo B 93 said:

Yes, I know, that's messed up, right? Also, it's "too good", not "to good".

Dang, I'm losing so many friends today.

Its loosing moran
BartInLA
I have had about five above ground pools as an adult, and it was the best money I ever spent. From an economics perspective, installing an inground pool gives you a negative return on your money. Expanded the patio on the back porch and bought an industrial strength pool pump. I used to put tiki lamps around the pool for mosquitoes and a flood light to read. Would float in the pool late at night after teaching and drink ice-cold Topo Chico and read for hours. Heaven.
Drawkcab
Pool? Ha! We swam in a freaking stock tank as kids and loved every second of it.
BartInLA
Stock tank, ha! We had to swim in the sewer water at the treatment plant. You were blessed.
ausag
AG
Bazooka Joe said:

Philo B 93 said:

Above ground, brotha.

Correct! 4 foot above ground pool.
maroon barchetta
BartInLA said:

Stock tank, ha! We had to swim in the sewer water at the treatment plant. You were blessed.

Username checks out.
The Kraken
AG
Have some great memories of summers at my grandparent's farmhouse in Missouri back in the late 70s and early 80s. My sister, brother and I went up every summer and hung out with our 4 cousins who were all about the same age. Grandma had the above ground pool installed just for us...we spent so much time in that thing playing Marco Polo, but our favorite game was one we made up where one person on an inner tube would swim around the pool and everyone else would climb up on the sides and jump into the water in an attempt to flip over the person floating....either by cannonball, or more effectively, jumping out and landing feet first on one side of the inner tube. Ultimately this lead to too many injuries and was banned by grandma and our parents.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
BBRex
AG
I think it would be easier with an above-ground pool to keep small kids from accidentally falling in, so I could see that being a reason to get one. And decked out they don't look too bad.
DD88
AG
We used a kiddie pool as home plate for the summer one-on-one wiffle ball games.
Any missed pitches usually ended up in the water for easy retrieval.
It slowed down the path to first base which offset the hitters advantage.
To make a home run, you had to dive into the water before getting pegged by the wiffle ball and got cooled off in the process.
Anchorhold
PSA: by mentioning that you have one you have legally invited everyone else to come over and enjoy your pool, whether you are at home or not.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

To make a home run, you had to dive into the water before getting pegged
Claude!
When you have sinned,
He will baptize you in the clear waters of his above ground pool.
62strat
AG
this isn't a 'pool' by most people's definitions, but for our 8 and 9 year old and 5-6 similar aged kids on the street (as well as wife and me), it's so far proven to be pretty useful and enjoyable. We just got it in May, still working on the deck and we need to get turf installed to get the yard back to useable. We had a sloped back yard, so we dug out a huge hole to partially sink it in the ground on the house side.

The 'pool' side is ~14' and 7' wide, then there is a hottub that's 6x7 and it's separate temp controls. I actually have enjoyed using the jets to swim in. I'll probably get a regular routine going.

knoxtom
I had one when I lived in Lake Highlands. 25k gallons with 2k sq ft of decking around it, 3 levels, built in lights, etc. It was a nice setup. Guy who owned the house before me put it in and spent about 30k in 1995 dollars.

But when all was said and done, it was an above ground pool.

I heard the people who bought the house after me took it out. No idea why, it was better than nothing and actually pretty dang nice.

StinkyPinky
AG
Above ground hot tub FTW. And hot tubs don't look trashy. But the old guy in it drinking Shiner Bock......another story.
Philo B 93
62strat said:

this isn't a 'pool' by most people's definitions, but for our 8 and 9 year old and 5-6 similar aged kids on the street (as well as wife and me), it's so far proven to be pretty useful and enjoyable. We just got it in May, still working on the deck and we need to get turf installed to get the yard back to useable. We had a sloped back yard, so we dug out a huge hole to partially sink it in the ground on the house side.

The 'pool' side is ~14' and 7' wide, then there is a hottub that's 6x7 and it's separate temp controls. I actually have enjoyed using the jets to swim in. I'll probably get a regular routine going.

What are we looking at there? Is that a Swim Spa that shoots water out to swim in place, with a hot tub attached? Or is it a small pool with hot tub attached?
62strat
AG
Philo B 93 said:

62strat said:

What are we looking at there? Is that a Swim Spa that shoots water out to swim in place, with a hot tub attached? Or is it a small pool with hot tub attached?
your first guess, it's a swim spa. Hot tub is attached so it's one huge 20x8 unit, but the hot tub has it's own power/heat/jets.
It has some frills like bluetooth speakers, waterfall type fountains, led lighting all over it in different colors. Every single jet in the hot tub (about 50 of them) can be individually turned on or off, and the direction of the interior nozzle moved.
So you could have say 2-3 people in there, and every person has what they want.. totally off, full blast, only some of them, everything in between, etc. It has 2 pumps over all, with each pump doing like 3 areas.
The swim side is 3 pumps, each controlling the 3 large things on the right, and some fountains on it as well.

Anchorhold
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.