Ghost Job Postings should be made illegal

5,337 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by infinity ag
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bizag07 said:

Do you in anyway think there should be government legality should be involved in how a job should and shouldn't be posted?

Sorry some people got their hopes based up (when they shouldn't have), and sorry that some people got their feelings hurt based on false hope.

But there is ZERO reason to believe that we need MORE government intervention on how the hiring process to work, based on nothing but a collection of anecdotal stories.

Tell me you don't post your own jobs and hire how you think you should hire, without telling me that people who hire nothing but low level staffers should be making those calls.

I don't know what the solution is, but sitting and doing nothing is not right. This is clear fraud. And wasting people's time. People could be applying for real jobs and focusing there rather than wasting time on their fakery.

Do you have a better solution?
Sea Speed
AG
infinity ag said:

Sea Speed said:

Just imagine India if those are the conditions they prefer.

I think the plan is to deal with it for a few years, make money in dollars and go back home. $1 = INR 80 now so that is a good amount.

I was just on a walk with my Indian coworker and he owns a resort in a little mountain town and we were talking about doing diy fixing stuff at home and he told me he had a shower head break and then the pipe to it broke and he paid the plumber 200 rupees to come fix it. Good lord I could live like an absolute king over there.
Anchorhold
How's the BBQ over there?
TriAg2010
AG
infinity ag said:

bizag07 said:

Do you in anyway think there should be government legality should be involved in how a job should and shouldn't be posted?

Sorry some people got their hopes based up (when they shouldn't have), and sorry that some people got their feelings hurt based on false hope.

But there is ZERO reason to believe that we need MORE government intervention on how the hiring process to work, based on nothing but a collection of anecdotal stories.

Tell me you don't post your own jobs and hire how you think you should hire, without telling me that people who hire nothing but low level staffers should be making those calls.

I don't know what the solution is, but sitting and doing nothing is not right. This is clear fraud. And wasting people's time. People could be applying for real jobs and focusing there rather than wasting time on their fakery.

Is it fraud to window shop at the mall or walk around Costco to get samples?

There are no legal solutions here that don't vastly increase the costs on people who really are hiring. It's a fast lane to becoming Europe where nobody wants to hire anyone. All that jobseekers would see is an occasional class action settlement check for $0.85 because that director position they applied to three years ago was never actually filled.
permabull
AG
An annoyance I have about job listings is for my entire career, what I actually do once hired doesn't really match what was in the job description I applied for.
bizag07
Quote:

So you're angry, but have no solutions, yet came to rant about it. TYPICAL AMERICAN IN 2024.

Why is it on me to provide solutions?

Clearly there is one obvious solution: PEOPLE SHOULDN'T GET EMOTIONALLY INVESTED IN JOB OPPORTUNITIES UNTIL THEY ARE FARTHER ALONG IN THE PROCESS.

What I can tell you is regulation in any way, shape, or form, IS NOT the answer.

Sorry that sucks for people desperate to find work.

But whose job is it to dictate what is and isn't "wasting people's time"?
Cromagnum
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

And postings that don't list a salary range.

This. I'm not wasting my time talking to you only to find out you are offering below (often far below) what I already earn.
Cromagnum
AG
The Dog Lord said:

Same people: "No one is loyal or wants to work anymore."

Not when a company can fire you at the drop of a hat because some bean counter decided they need to shore up the books.
The Dog Lord
AG
Cromagnum said:

Ryan the Temp said:

And postings that don't list a salary range.

This. I'm not wasting my time talking to you only to find out you are offering below (often far below) what I already earn.

I've spoken with HR reps that say they don't want their competition knowing what they're paying as if they couldn't find out in a number of other ways. I've even heard similar from public organizations even though you can get their entire listing of salaries with an open records request.

It's insane how much time people waste over the dumbest stuff.
Cromagnum
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Ghost jobs suck, but at the end of the day you haven't invested tons of time because you're not getting called/interviewed. The real sh*tty situation is one in which the hiring manager already has the candidate he/she wants and other people interviewing are simply there to check an HR box. My last 3 jobs were that situation and my managers already new they were going to hire me. It did nothing more than waste everyone's time and slow down the onboarding process for me

Yep. I would say this is the case for the vast majority of jobs. They have someone in mind that needs a promotion and everyone else is strung along just so they have enough people to "interview". About the only time people have a fair chance is when someone leaves unexpectedly and catches them with their pants down.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Anchorhold said:

How's the BBQ over there?
The Chili's in Bangalore has Bison burgers because those aren't sacred. I guess you could try Bison brisket.
HollywoodBQ
AG
permabull said:

An annoyance I have about job listings is for my entire career, what I actually do once hired doesn't really match what was in the job description I applied for.
I met a lot of uphill resistance when I rewrote my job descriptions to match the actual work performed in the role.

So many people just copy and paste an old JD. And it goes on for decades in some larger firms. When I was looking for a job 6 years ago, I started skipping the jobs where they were asking for proficiency in Windows 95.
The Fife
AggieArchitect04 said:

Why would you want to apply to be a ghost?
Think of it as something like an internship position. When you're dead you'll be able to enter as a level 2, maybe a 3 if you do really well instead of an entry level 1 because of the experience.
MouthBQ98
AG
I see this sometimes in internal hiring or job openings. They are apparently formalities so that the search appears to be open to meet HR and legal requirements but they already know either the exact individual they want to hire, or that the candidate will be an H1B, so nobody else interviewing has a chance in hell.

It's not always that way, but it seems to go in cycles
Lake08
Is it considered a ghost posting when the employer only plans on hiring you based solely on the color of your skin??

Asking for a friend
infinity ag
bizag07 said:

Quote:

So you're angry, but have no solutions, yet came to rant about it. TYPICAL AMERICAN IN 2024.

Why is it on me to provide solutions?

Clearly there is one obvious solution: PEOPLE SHOULDN'T GET EMOTIONALLY INVESTED IN JOB OPPORTUNITIES UNTIL THEY ARE FARTHER ALONG IN THE PROCESS.

What I can tell you is regulation in any way, shape, or form, IS NOT the answer.

Sorry that sucks for people desperate to find work.

But whose job is it to dictate what is and isn't "wasting people's time"?

Are you okay? Calm down. And cut out the caps, it makes you seem unhinged and BSC.

Ok, so I did give a solution but you didn't like it. So I asked you give you a solution and you got triggered and started shouting.

If you have issues going on, this is not the place for it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.