Anybody else get an end of year bonus yet?

7,843 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by AgsMyDude
neronero
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I will get it with my next salary and can't already wait for that. This year i want to invest some cash in top essay writing websites https://uktopwriters.com/best-essay-writing-services/and help my son with the studies a little. He is so busy these days and has zero time for relaxations . I don't think that studies should be that intense.
Teslag
AG
If you underwithold too much you are subject to a penalty
Ag with kids
AG
heavily intoxtricated said:

Ag with kids said:

Ag with kids said:

LupinusTexensis said:

I hate how much bonuses are taxed

You're one of those people who thinks your bonus is taxed differently than ordinary income?

Edit: sorry, I see you have been raked over the coals already.
It may not be taxed differently in the end, however, it sucks that the fed gov gets an interest free loan of some extra money before giving it back at refund time.

That's your fault. Stop overwithholding. I underwithhold every year and get an interest free loan from the government.
I don't get a bonus. I'm not talking about me. I'm talking about how the government taxes bonuses at the 35% rate.

Learn to read more betterer.

The government doesn't tax bonuses at 35% (unless your effective tax rate is 35%, which would mean you have several million dollars of income). That's the point. Your employer might withhold more of your bonus (although usually you can ask and they will withhold at your normal rate), but if they do withhold more, underwithhold the rest of the year and you won't be giving the government an "interest free loan."

Of course, it's not an interest free loan at all. It's money you affirmatively chose not to be paid when you filled out your W-4
Sorry...misspoke. They WITHHOLD at that ****ed up high rate. And not ALL companies will allow it to be held a lower rate - I DID get a bonus as my last job and they said they "had to" withhold at 35%. It was a big defense company so I guess they didn't know any different though.

But I'm proud of you for getting your free loan. I'm sure gives at least some purpose to your life.
txags92
AG
evestor1 said:

infinity ag said:

evestor1 said:

when you say "bonus" do you mean [payment agreement that is not written and only promised by hr as a hiring tool...then nothing gets paid?]

PSA for all the youngbloods - take your own bonus by working half days and zoning out a few hours each day. take some TP home as well.

I know.. wtf does it even mean? My offer letter has sometimes said "the company gives out a bonus of 17%". Then when the year is over, sometimes it is 5% and one time I got about 60% bonus. 17% is meaningless as they use some multiple that moves the amount up and down.
working in construction i've seen bonus language that makes zero sense and bonus payouts that make negative sense.

best i've seen. we had written bonus policy. one year we knock it out within our PM group. 200mm company...owed PMs the following (me PM1 85k owed - 15k paid) (PM2 300k owed - 40k paid) (PM3 50k owed 10k paid) and not sure about PM4. So we all quit within 3 months and the company was less than 100mm the following 3 years according to buddy. It sold 3 years later and the group is non-existent today.

Company i work out now has a guideline that isn't followed. I typically get 20-40% of my salary paid out when i earn less than 20% per the plan. Most of the project management and senior management is 10+ year employees.
I worked for a company straight out of college that had a bonus plan where each department lead recommended a bonus (or lack of one) for the people in their group based on how well the department did that year. The recommended bonus was then modified by a multiplier at every level of management above the department level (office, district, region, division, and corporate) according to how each level performed that year. If the office did well, they might apply a 1.5 multiplier. If the district did meh, they might apply a 0.5 multiplier. But in the three years I was there, every single year there was some level in the chain that did poorly enough that the multiplier was zero. Meaning nothing else mattered and you were getting zero bonus. It was such a joke because it always happened that any time management started talking about it, the rest of the employees referred to it as Bone Us time.

We had a new department manager come in that was all gung ho about getting a big bonus and he wanted all of us to work 50+ hours per week with no overtime pay, promising us that the bonus at the end of the year would make it worth it. We all tried to explain to him that it was fool's gold and the company would never let him give out bonuses, but he persisted. So I transferred out to another office and three others left the company within the next month. I hope it was worth it to him to lose 80% of his employees in a month...
Blacque Jacque Shallaque
Wife got 17K, I'll probably get a $100 gift card to Outback Steakhouse from my cheap ass boss.
ro828
In 1973 I started work at Woolco Department Store in Houston at the intersection of South Main and Hillcroft. This was an attempt by F. W. Woolworth to create another K-Mart. The assistant manager of Sporting Goods got a bonus check for 79 cents. He bought a picture frame for it to be in a place of honor in his living room.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
FIDO*98* said:

FIDO*98* said:

I guess it just depends on the industry. 2/3 of my comp is bonus

Congrats on a terrible compensation structure.

I'd love to show you my last pay stub so you can see how bad I have it.

You know you're super cool when you have to brag about your salary on TA.
JobSecurity
AG
Mine has always been withheld at the supplemental rate of 22%. I actually wish it was higher because I have to compensate for that lower % in my regular salary withholding which hurts cash flow significantly. Maybe I should ask if they can change it
Inca
AG
You don't have to adjust your withholding - you can always make a separate estimated tax payment when you get your bonus to cover the additional tax that was not withheld.
deer corn
Does OP ever post a thread that doesn't turn into a big swinging dick contest about salary?

Lol
62strat
AG
FIDO*98* said:

AKA "Resignation day"

Quarterly bonuses are bad enough, I'd hate annual. Give it to me monthly or gtfo
Love my annual bonus. Mine hit the checking two days ago. This year it was 1/3 of my salary.

Salary is what I base our budget/monthly spending on.

Then in Dec. I get a bunch of money that I can blow on something, invest, let it ride in savings, help to pay off/down any secured debt, or, for this year specifically, playing catch up, since wife's salary was half what it normally was from Jan-June, but we didn't really adjust our spending because we knew she was going back up starting in July, and up more starting next month. So little by little throughout the year we depleted a good chunk of our savings. Now it's been replenished.

62strat
AG
Also to add, my previous company had all the metrics and other bs to determine your bonus. We had to come up with all these goals and rate ourselves, blah blah. I hated that.

I love the way my current employer does; they pay out the surplus revenue to everyone respectively. No merit or personal metrics. Company does good = we all get bonuses. Rough year? Bonuses shrink. Terrible year, they go away.

Through the last 2 downturns, they've never had to layoff. (commercial/warehouse construction)

I don't know the exact ranges, but to guess for a decent to good year, field laborers and helpers get 10-15%, supers and office staff are 15-20%, PMs and me are 30-50%, and the owners get the large payouts since they bought into the company.
Those numbers go up for really good years, and down for slower years.

Then every employee also gets 15% of salary to a tax deferred retirement plan.

Company is ~60 employees.
AgsMyDude
AG
FIDO*98* said:

AKA "Resignation day"

Quarterly bonuses are bad enough, I'd hate annual. Give it to me monthly or gtfo

I prefer hourly

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.