Keeping dead people in your contacts…

3,964 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Photog
Dr.Rumack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Super freaky when they call. Dad's been gone nearly seven years and he rang me up last night.
infinity ag
I can't get myself to remove them. It will mean that I am acknowledging that they are gone forever.

I will just keep them there. I have a few contacts on Linkedin and Facebook who are gone. I don't remove them.
Andrew Dufresne
Ya, we are gonna need a little more info on how your dad was able to call your phone
GAC06
AG
Probably a spoof scam call. I've gotten a call from my own number before
Anchorhold
Would be the first time I hit the FaceTime button.
Unemployed
AG
Andrew Dufresne said:

Ya, we are gonna need a little more info on how your dad was able to call your phone
Those old school Nokia phones are eternal and indestructible.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
infinity ag said:

I can't get myself to remove them. It will mean that I am acknowledging that they are gone forever.

I will just keep them there. I have a few contacts on Linkedin and Facebook who are gone. I don't remove them.

I like this.

A gesture of love and respect.
The Real Napster
I read their texts sometimes.
C@LAg
maroon barchetta
infinity ag said:

Username checks out.
Wicked Good Ag
I doubt I will ever remove my daughter from my phone...i still text occasionally when having a tough day
Garrelli 5000
AG
Pisses me off when I get emails from deceased friends. Obviously your standard scam crap where they spoof an email via contact lists.

Telemarketers, online scammers, etc, hopefully burn in whatever hell of an afterlife exists. And die painfully on the way.
Staff - take out the trash.
swimmerbabe11
I gchat with Rebsy sometimes when I need to vent.

I know that's pretty secure..because..well..iykyk.

but yeah, would probably flip out if one of them called.
maroon barchetta
In the movie "Amelie", a man who just returned from a friend's funeral is weeping as he removes his friend's info from his address book.

It is a sad reminder.

"We are only immortal for a limited time"
Tanya 93
I have five friends on Facebook that have passed.

I am sad whenever I get a notification that it's their birthday
Win At Life
AG
My deceased mother popped up on Telegram and responded to my message. Turns out her phone number was assigned to another person and when that person joined Telegram, it pushed a notice to me from my contacts.
agdaddy04
AG
The LinkedIn one is kind of strange when people congratulate them on their work anniversaries. Shows you how unconnected connections can be.
Drawkcab
I used to call home when I knew nobody was there to hear my moms voice on the answering machine. That machine is long gone now though.
Tanya 93
Drawkcab said:

I used to call home when I knew nobody was there to hear my moms voice on the answering machine. That machine is long gone now though.

I remember my youngest brother calling her office machine to hear her while looking at a picture of her. He was 13 when she died.

B-1 83
AG
I would call Teacher Wife '82's phone just to hear her voice for awhile before I canceled her phone.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
DE4D
AG
i didnt realize my cousins son took over my grandmas # until about a week ago. she has been dead for 5 years. scared the **** outta me.
“Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come.”
Wicked Good Ag
B-1 83 said:

I would call Teacher Wife '82's phone just to hear her voice for awhile before I canceled her phone.
I do the same for my kid...dont have heart to cancel phone and wouldnt want to do that to my ex wife anyway

TexasRebel
AG
I have a bunch.

One was killed in the OSU homecoming incident.
A couple of musicians that didn't keep going.
Cancer got another two.
Relatives that passed.

I keep the contact, but move the number to comments. I started getting strange, "in your contacts" suggestions.

I've also saved voicemails over the years.
The Fife
Crap, this thread pointed out to me that I can barely remember what my brother sounded like.
jwoodmd
Tanya 93 said:

Yeah, these are sad. It's even more saddening when I look at their Facebook page and there are all these people wishing them a happy birthday who obviously don't know the person has passed away. Really seems to highlight how artificial the entire concept of Facebook can be exploited into all these people thinking these people are "friends" yet they don't even know the person no longer lives.
Reed McDonald 92
AG
My Dad is getting old and really slowing down. I'm calling him now. I suggest you call your loved ones soon and often, too.
Texmid
AG
I still have both my parents and one of my grandparents in my "favorites" on my phone. I will not ever remove them even though they have been dead for years. Up until one of my previous phones was drowned in a drunken pool incident I had saved voicemails from them all. Should have backed up that phone more often.
zephyr88
AG
My dad has been gone for 2-1/2 years. Never got to say goodbye. It just happened (aneurysm) and that was it. His number is still in my phone and I have called it many times just to hear it ring.

I heard this song the other day. It hit pretty hard.

agz win
AG
Consider recording with questions and answers on family history and favorite memories. Like a touchstone for your future.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Tanya 93 said:

One of my FB friends passed 11 years ago and she still gets traffic on her page, especially from her online Danish boyfriend. He posts regularly on her Birthday and the day she died.

Before her death, she was doing podcasts with people in Alex Jones's orbit. She had reached levels of paranoia where she was afraid to go to the doctor and ultimately died at age 42 from an infection which could have been treated. I managed to save about 10 or so of her podcasts. It was nice to hear her voice even in full conspiracy rage.

I don't think about her very often but I've got a guy who does come up fairly often who died from Acute Myloid Lymphoma in early January 2020 just as the scamdemic was getting started. Thank God he died when he did with his family around him and not a few months later in isolation.

My friend had suffered for about a year before he passed away. One thing he did was start a Facebook Group for all of his friends and family on FB to share pictures, stories, etc. It's kind of cool to just see different aspects of other people's experiences with him.

This guy wasn't just a Type A personality, he was Type AA. I haven't actually seen him for 12 years and memories with him still come up regularly. Even as recently as Saturday night watching UFC293 from Sydney. That guy took me to watch UFC135 at the Ivanhoe Bar in Manly, NSW. Taught me everything I know about UFC which isn't much but it is enough to appreciate what they do.
infinity ag
Tanya 93 said:

My father passed this year. His birthday was yesterday - 9/11.
I saw a notification on FB which made me very sad. First birthday without him. A few people had posted birthday greetings not knowing that he was gone. I find that to be very sad as well.
infinity ag
Reed McDonald 92 said:

My Dad is getting old and really slowing down. I'm calling him now. I suggest you call your loved ones soon and often, too.

My father had Parkinson's and could not walk or even talk. Last year on his birthday on 9/11, I went to visit him. He did not live in the US. It was painful to see him in that state. Boys always think daddy is the coolest, strongest, and most powerful. We celebrated his last birthday together as a family, the 4 of us. The only thing is even when he was able, he was never the conversing type, so he would say hello, how are you and hand the phone off to mom. His last couple of birthdays I would dread calling as I could barely hear his voice and I would have to make the entire conversation. And deep down I know things weren't right.

I call my mom every Wednesday from 10:30am to 11:30am. Have blocked off an hour from my work schedule. The only person in the world I can discuss my work issues, kid education issues etc who actually is on my side and does not blame/condemn. Even the wife does not fit the bill.
infinity ag
I am on Whatsapp, and had a group for the 3 of us - dad, mom and I. So I sent a long message about something and my dad read it in the morning. Then he passed in the afternoon and I got the call.

I cannot not bring myself to post on that group again. I archived it my post is still the last one - the one my dad read. I just message my mom separately and directly.
Tanya 93
infinity ag said:

Tanya 93 said:

I saw a notification on FB which made me very sad. First birthday without him. A few people had posted birthday greetings not knowing that he was gone. I find that to be very sad as well.

I am sorry for your loss.

I lost my mom before Facebook existed, and I cannot imagine what it would be liked to be reminded it is her birthday.

Her birthday was the 5th of this month.

So I chugged sweet tea in her honor. I hate sweet tea, but she loved it.
infinity ag
Tanya 93 said:

infinity ag said:

Tanya 93 said:

I am sorry for your loss.

I lost my mom before Facebook existed, and I cannot imagine what it would be liked to be reminded it is her birthday.

Her birthday was the 5th of this month.

So I chugged sweet tea in her honor. I hate sweet tea, but she loved it.
Thank you.

That is a great idea. My dad LOVED pecan pie (and I love it too). I am going to make it a tradition on his birthday.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.