Untold Johnny Football

3,331 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ghost of Bisbee
Lex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who has watched it? What did you think? I'll post my thoughts once some others do. Also did anyone else chuckle when they saw Billy's background?
hoosier-daddy
i'll wait until it comes out on vhs
C@LAg
The Fife
hoosier-daddy said:

i'll wait until it comes out on vhs
I saw it at a Blockbuster near me last week. They also had a sign saying laser disc release was next month.
scd88
AG
I can't tell if you're serious or if this is a GB bit.
scd88
AG
Watched it last night, thought it was pretty good. A large majority of the highlights and story time were from Manziel's A&M days, and that was a fun trip down memory lane.

He blew it in the NFL but he wasn't ready to work at that level. He wanted to keep being Johnny Football and that wasn't going to cut it in that league.

As far as the other stuff goes, I have no reason to doubt he has bipolar. He definitely has an addictive personality when it comes to drugs and booze. There are many theories on why, just read stuff on Texags for that.

I've always liked the guy and will always be grateful for what he did on the football field. I wish he would gravitate back here to A&M (like with the bar he's opening) more to keep going down this path of growing up. I'm not sure a bar is considered "growing up" but I like that he's doing that here. Lol.
XXXVII
It was disturbing to see coked out Kliff Kingsbury in this.
swc93
AG
The family coming from oil money bit was great.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
swc93 said:

The family coming from oil money bit was great.

They actually do come from oil money and I'm sure they still collect quite a bit in royalty checks. At a minimum they are upper middle class. They just exaggerated it to explain the private jets and court side seats. The Manziels were never poor and are wealthier than most.
T Durden
AG
What background?
Lex
Was TexAgs.
Lex
Kk wasn't the only one that looked rough.

Billy looked greasy. Possibly the makeup they used. But it did him no favors.
Ginormus Ag
AG
Is this ok for a 12 year old to watch?
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Cool 12 year olds who smoke, maybe.
Jack Klompus
AG
Lex said:

Billy looked greasy. Possibly the makeup they used. But it did him no favors.
Billy's mouth looked weird, like he didn't have his dentures in or something.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
Ginormus Ag said:

I'd say no. I was going to watch with my 13 year old son but there are a lot of very adult topics like drug abuse and suicide. While it tells a cautionary tale of substance abuse - the scenes of current day Johnny still show him drinking and smoking. Life is complicated but those messages aren't exactly what I want to send my 13 year old as a hero. Don't think it's for kids. With that said it was very well done and I still think Johnny is awesome.
Flashdiaz
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Cool 12 year olds who smoke, maybe.
watched with my 13 yr old. Lots of cussing, some mentions of drug use and mention of suicide. Nothing overtly sexual.

obviously up to you as a father, or head coach , to decide if they watch and talk about how the most gifted people can be have serious issues.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
dang, i was watching lethal weapon and whatnot when I was 8.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Ginormus Ag said:

Ryan the Temp
AG
I watched it last night. it was interesting to learn what was going on behind the scenes as some of that stuff unfolded, but when it was done I was left wondering what the whole point of it was. Was it supposed to make viewers feel sorry for him?
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
I think the point was just to explain what happened and tell the story of how it unfolded. Viewers can feel however they want to feel about it.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Well, it certainly did that. It just sort of seemed unfinished to me.
Flashdiaz
AG
because his story is unfinished.

I like the fact they didn't try to put a pretty little bow on it at then end.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Flashdiaz said:

because his story is unfinished.

I like the fact they didn't try to put a pretty little bow on it at then end.

Yeah, act III hasn't happened, yet. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Decay
AG
Lol at saying it feels unfinished. Did you want him to die at the end or something
Ryan the Temp
AG
Decay said:

Lol at saying it feels unfinished. Did you want him to die at the end or something
No. Have you ever read a book and it was super obvious the author ran up against their deadline because the entire thing gets closed out in a page or two? That's what it felt like to me - The ending seemed very abrupt.

I do hope this leads to a broader examination of how student athletes are manipulated and taken advantage of so schools and the NCAA can make billions of dollars off their backs.
GrayMatter
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

I watched it last night. it was interesting to learn what was going on behind the scenes as some of that stuff unfolded, but when it was done I was left wondering what the whole point of it was. Was it supposed to make viewers feel sorry for him?
I got the same "unfinished" feeling about the documentary and I think it's because they highlighted too many things in the time they had. In a little over an hour, they went from talking about his past in playing at Tivy, his recruitment, A&M's jump to the SEC, his playing time at A&M, the autographing situation and his ultimate downfall while playing for Cleveland.

I thought the production was strange in that his mom, dad and sister were interviewed separately. There were all these people talking for/about Johnny and unfortunately I don't think that none of them really know who Johnny really is. I don't even know if Johnny knows who he really is either and I think that's why the production also seems unfinished.

I'd say that my favorite parts was when Johnny was talking about the games that he played in, his narration about the Alabama game where he made all the correct calls and great throws.

The one question that I keep coming back to is why do this documentary if you're Johnny? If he truly is on the path to recovery or is in a better place, why come back to those memories that haunt him? Is it because he enjoys being in the limelight? The payout was that good? His way of saying "F U" to the NCAA? I just get an uneasy feeling about all of that.

I think I'd have to see it again to pay attention to their body language to see if there's more to what they're saying.
Proposition Joe
Because he got paid and is interested in reviving his brand.
JoeAggie5
To each their own, but I would say no.

Can get passed the cursing, but the drinking, drug use, and honestly JFF showing little growth (I mean he's still only 29) I had to tell my older than 12 kids multiple times, this is not someone you want to aspire to be.
G.I.Bro
Oh man you had to parent? T&Ps
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
The only thing the doc was missing was Sarah Savage.

I am ok with them leaving out Johnny's "Ex-Wife"

Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Lol

"This is not what you want to aspire to be"

"K boomer"

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.