Self-checkout at HEB

7,712 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Self checkout is the equivalent of doing free work.

Your are being supervised by AI.

If you messup then the big boss lady has got to come over come over to check the AI.
gets worse than that. Walmart is testing in some stores the opening and closing self checkouts to people that pay a subscription.

https://fox2now.com/news/missouri/how-walmart-self-checkout-may-be-changing-soon/

Quote:

The next time you're shopping at Walmart, some self-checkout lanes may only be available to subscription members or delivery service drivers.
"This decision is intended to better manage checkout availability," Kelsey Bohl, senior manager of communications at Walmart, told TODAY.
Some customers have reported the changes taking effect in their stores and being left to wait in line for cashiers. A Reddit user posted a photo of a sign blocking the self-checkout that states, "Attention: This self-checkout is for Spark Shoppers and Walmart Scan & Go only."
Walmart Scan & Go is exclusive to those who are Walmart+ members, which is the company's paid membership. Customers scan their items as they go through the store and pay at the self-checkout. Spark Driver is the delivery service provided through Walmart.
A Walmart+ membership is $12.95 per month or $98 annually, according to Walmart's website.

Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
TX04Aggie said:

I just want HEB to turn on the tap function for credit cards at the checkout
Yep.

HEB chip readers are ALWAYS broken. With every card I have, including the HEB debit card, metal and plastic, thin and thick cards, I have to have the chip reader fail to process the chip three times and then scan. You cant scan before the chip read fails three times, making you look like a dead beat whose card just declined on a $9 rotisserie chicken. I raise the issue to the attendant every single time and they just give me a "not my job" stare, which is understandable. They will often rush over to help me as if Im doing it wrong, and then proceed to repeat the process I just completed before they say "oh, yeah, its like this sometimes.".

every HEB. every location. every self checkout.

Really would expect it to be better as I wear a stetson
Furlock Bones
AG
TX04Aggie said:

I read they won't because they built their POS system in house or at least made for them. They don't want to pay to implement tap.
Serious Lee
Quote:

gets worse than that. Walmart is testing in some stores the opening and closing self checkouts to people that pay a subscription.
they just remodeled my local one and as you approach the checkout lanes, now theres a creepy guy wearing a mask that will follow you around asking you how you are going to pay. kind of impressive how they keep finding new ways to make their store employees more worthless, yet still employed.
Stat Monitor Repairman
All this is driving us to order online and pick-up further reducing impulse buys which is grocery's bread and butter.

Flashdiaz
AG
Kroger by my ample Estate removed 3 self checkout machines and replaced it with 1 self checkout lane with a conveyer belt at the end. So now instead of easily putting my item in the bag as I check it out I have to put it in a conveyer belt which pushes it 10 feet away. When done paying I have to go over there and bag my own groceries while the employee watches me. I hate that thing so much. Also, lanes 1-18 are closed except for 1 register. Kroger can ead straight up.
aeon-ag
rlb28 said:

Have never once been able to get through the damn checkout process without calling over an employee. Scale messed up. No bar code on item. Won't take debit card, etc...

Self-checkout sucks!
The only time I will use one is if there is nothing else open. I don't work there!!
Stat Monitor Repairman
People love the self checkout though.

Most times the line for the self-checkout is longer than the regular checkout where it might only be one deep.

Often times they'll have to make an announcement over the PA to prevent the self-checkout line from impeding traffic Or sometimes they'll have an employee out there directing traffic.

Point is people like the self checkout for some inexplicable reason. It's not faster.

In 1984 people lined up to play Ms Pac-Man.

In 2024 people line up to look up the product code for cilantro and be supervised by a AI.
Booma94
AG
swc93 said:

I think it would be great at my neighborhood Kroger if it tracked your self-check out history when you scan your Kroger card; too many "you are an idiot" attempts and the system just pops up a message that says "please see cashier on aisle 8 to checkout".
This, along with color coded license plates that designate if you can drive when roads are crowded (red plate and it's a high traffic day- you stay off the road because you're an idiot and you'll only make things worse) are part of my presidential platform.
DuncanLEO
rlb28 said:

Have never once been able to get through the damn checkout process without calling over an employee. Scale messed up. No bar code on item. Won't take debit card, etc...

Self-checkout sucks!
I bet you pay with a check too.
Booma94
AG

People love the self checkout though.

Most times the line for the self-checkout is longer than the regular checkout where it might only be one deep.

Often times they'll have to make an announcement over the PA to prevent the self-checkout line from impeding traffic Or sometimes they'll have an employee out there directing traffic.

Point is people like the self checkout for some inexplicable reason. It's not faster.

In 1984 people lined up to play Ms Pac-Man.

In 2024 people line up to look up the product code for cilantro and be supervised by a AI.
It's because many of them get a special discount for using self-checkout. It's called the five-finger discount, and it's common among younger people using self-check. It's why some stores have decided to do away with self-check or put limits on it.
GarlandAg2012
AG
The Central Market self checkouts have a loss prevention method that makes you get assistance when you try to scan very low cost self weighed items, like spices from the bulk section. Having a bunch of $.08-$.20 cent scans is a red flag apparently. For that reason if I'm buying spices I go to the regular register usually but even then they often have to type in the whole 20 digit tag number rather than scanning it. Kinda annoying.
Sea Speed
AG

Self checkout is the equivalent of doing free work.

Your are being supervised by AI.

If you messup then the big boss lady has got to come over come over to check the AI.

This is why I choose one expensive item at random and don't ring it up.
Sea Speed
AG
If I have even one piece of produce I will not go to self checkout. The cashier is paid to memorize 100 4 digit codes and by God i am going to make them use that skillet.
Seven Costanza
AG
If you struggle to open the plastic bags while checking out and don't want to lick your finger, just run your finger across any of your frozen or refrigerated items that have condensation on them and then use it to swipe down on the bag to open it. It is always annoying to see people wasting time trying to peel open bags that are stuck together.
rlb28
AG
DuncanLEO said:

rlb28 said:

Self-checkout sucks!
I bet you pay with a check too.

Don't have any checks
Ryan the Temp
AG
Furlock Bones said:

TX04Aggie said:

I read they won't because they built their POS system in house or at least made for them. They don't want to pay to implement tap.
An HEB employee told me it's because the tap feature randomizes the credit card information, which makes it difficult, if not impossible, to track individual customer purchasing habits. Contrast that with Kroger, who basically forces you to enter Kroger card information every time to get better pricing on almost everything in the store. If you're entering that info to help them track your purchases, the payment method becomes irrelevant.
cj774
AG
Interesting. I used to work for Walmart as an Assistant Manager. One of the dirty secrets was they advertised "express check out lanes" but in reality the cashiers were instructed to never under any circumstances actually enforce the "15 items or less" rule. Makes me wonder if a similar situation will exist here.

Then again, I specifically avoid Walmart now and have not been in one in awhile. So maybe that's changed now?
Stat Monitor Repairman

Amazon scraps its automated 'just walk out' self-checkout after it was revealed that cube farms of people in India watch you while you shop.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.