What is your occupation and is there anything else you would want to do?

3,310 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 5C
HossAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Engineer. Sometimes I wish I was in a "cool" engineering field like working for SpaceX or NASA. Other times I wish I had chosen an easier job. No idea what that would be though.
Retired Principal
AG
I'm retired and I want it go from averaging 3 rounds of golf per week to 4.
Duckhook
AG
I'm a banker and I've had the opportunity a number of times in my career to investigate some kind of malfeasance. I've really enjoyed following where the trail leads.

I did a multi-week FBI Citizen's Academy a few years ago and had a blast.
I wouldn't have wanted to be a cop, but I think I would have liked being some type of investigator, detective, etc.
bagger05
AG
What was your hookup for the Citizens Academy? And how big of a commitment was it? I know my wife would LOVE that but she's pretty busy with work.
AliasMan02
AG
HossAg said:

Engineer. Sometimes I wish I was in a "cool" engineering field like working for SpaceX or NASA. Other times I wish I had chosen an easier job. No idea what that would be though.

SpaceX will hire you right now and probably give you a huge raise. Be prepared to work your ass off and burn out in 6 months.
Duckhook
AG
bagger05 said:

What was your hookup for the Citizens Academy? And how big of a commitment was it? I know my wife would LOVE that but she's pretty busy with work.

Got recommended by somebody who had done it previously. Had to go thru a background check, including fingerprinting. 3-hour sessions on Tuesday evenings for 5 weeks. They ran all of their various specialties by us. We got to see videos and hear recordings from actual cases. We also got to go one Saturday to a shooting range and shoot various guns, including automatic weapons. It was a lot of fun and very informative. For all the bashing the FBI gets on F16 here, I was very impressed with the FBI agents I was around.

Pre-Covid they would have luncheons for the "alumni" a few times a year just to give us info on things that were happening in the field. Nothing secret of course, but more along the lines of "here's what's really happening behind the headlines you see."
BBRex
AG
Work in HR. Previously worked as a news and sports copy editor at a few different newspapers. I loved working in newspapers (well, as much as I loved any job), but it was easy to see the writing on the wall. The job was interesting and sometimes exciting, but the politics at the paper sucked. Not just R vs. D politics, although, as a conservative Republican/libertarian, that was bad, too. At my last job before I got out, on the news side the old guys were mostly interested in mentoring the influx of young women in the business. On the sports side, the reporters were a mix of races and with a few women, too. Pretty much all of the copy desk, which was tasked with staying in the office editing stories from those reporters, was all white males. And you can guess which pool they promoted from.

I sort of wish I had made a career of the military or had just started at the school district right out of college. Either way I could be retiring soon instead of retiring at 67 or 70. At the same time, I've had some great experiences I wouldn't want to give up.
HossAg
AG
AliasMan02 said:

HossAg said:

SpaceX will hire you right now and probably give you a huge raise. Be prepared to work your ass off and burn out in 6 months.

Yeah I think my desire for a more fulfilling purpose would fade really quickly in a job like that. I'll stick to good ol' oil and gas.
The Grinder (99)
AG
This should be the first line of a novel.
bigfoot10s
AG
Tennis coach/HS Teacher

I love what I do. Love working with kids.

That being said, I'd love to be a professional golfer or NFL Kicker. Professional tennis player or coach wouldn't be bad either
Eliminatus
AG
Engineer.

I like it enough and I am in a relatively secure industry which makes me feel better as we slip more and more into recession.

As with the other thread I started, flying helos would have been my first choice. I enlisted before the days of safe lasik and my eyesight almost kept me out of service altogether. I was told there was no chance to work my way into a cockpit. So I went infantry.

My second choice I allllllllmost did. Firefighting. I was fully certed and waiting on a slot to open in my local FD. Was working as an EMT in the meantime and then I had an incident. Long story short I pulled up to a fully involved vehicle with trapped occupants. I wasn't even on duty. In the moment, I was cool, calm, and collected and did what I could. Afterwards though it really messed with me. It wasn't my first rodeo with this type of scenario and the flashbacks of bad memories affected me far worse than I thought it possibly could. So I had a long and drunken sit down with myself and made a decision to pivot my life away from it. Which led to a decade long string of bad decisions and a lot of regret. Still recovering from that. Physically, mentally, and financially.

Past all that, history professor and writer. Love it with a passion.

So there is my three. More than asked but I'm buzzing and tend to overshare.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Business and data analyst
Just about anything else (but seriously, fly planes, drive trains, or finish carpentry)
wangus12
AG
Clinical Exercise Physiologist.

Sometimes wish I'd done something like military aviation to push towards astronaut candidacy. Or aerospace engineering.

I wish I'd known my interests at 18. All I knew was I liked science and sports. Most of my interests I have now have come from experiences in my late 20s
IWannaGoFast1
AG
AliasMan02 said:

We nearly went into the machining business before the pandemic and I wonder how it works have turned out. I was really excited about it.
What kind of manufacturing? The world is wide...Some industries doing amazingly well right now and through covid, some doing horribly. Lots of cheap equipment out there right now, though.
AliasMan02
AG
coleasterling said:

AliasMan02 said:

We nearly went into the machining business before the pandemic and I wonder how it works have turned out. I was really excited about it.
What kind of manufacturing? The world is wide...Some industries doing amazingly well right now and through covid, some doing horribly. Lots of cheap equipment out there right now, though.

Stuff for the defense and heavy construction industries mainly. It was an existing company, but the terms just didn't work out. Getting their backlog was the biggest part of the deal so starting from scratch wasn't as appealing, though we talked about it a little.

I still think about doing something like that. Barrier to entry would be pretty low (a good CNC machine) then you just need enough work to justify buying a second one, etc. Truth is most of the metal fab shops I've worked with are terrible and there's room in the market for higher end work... but don't quite have the cahones to do it.
5C
AG
bagger05 said:

I'm an entrepreneur. I don't think I'll ever give it up.

Right now I own a manufacturing company but I have some other ideas I'd like to pursue. I have this media company idea I can't let go of so that might be next.

Speaker City? I'm in.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.