Your nominations for the worst chunk of highway in Texas

7,416 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Slicer97
Pepper Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anchorhold said:

Houston because people

This is the correct answer. Houston drivers are the worst.
rhoswen
AG
IH10 eastbound across the San Jac River. It slows down or stops for literally no reason. No construction, no wrecks. It's bizarre.
La Fours
AG
I-35 between Austin and San Antonio
Hwy 21 between Bastrop and San Marcos
Hwy 105 east of Navasota.
I-35 in Waco
Madmarttigan
AG
I-45 through downtown Houston to Galveston is the only highway I hate 7 days a week. Wouldn't even touch it on a weekday and weekends are a **** show.
Formerly tv1113
TequilaMockingbird
I-35W north of Ft Worth out to Texas Motor Speedway. #@$!
Traces of Texas
SWCBonfire said:

From an expansive soil standpoint, anything just east of the hill country will be tough to beat.

But 285 from Pecos to the NM border might be the most dangerous, or at least it used to be.

This is the correct answer. The only time I ever, in driving more than 800,000 miles across Texas over my life, feel like my life is truly in danger.
jickyjack1
I used to HATE the stretch between Buffalo and Palestine. Curvy two-lane. And it seemed like there was always a convoy of Shlumberger (sp) trucks making about 40 mph; you couldn't pass and it took for-EVER to get to whichever metropolis was your immediate destination, so you could get the hell on down the road.
jickyjack1
The Kraken
AG
Shoefly! said:

Downtown Houston around the Medical center. It's like little Mexico! The Dem leaders of Harris County should be proud of that Jewel!
Medical Center isn't located Downtown.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Shoefly!
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Any road in Victoria County.

This is true, the montmorelonite clay is a duzee to build roads and slabs on!
Sgt. Hartman
AG
Highway 21 between Bastrop and San Marcos gets my vote for longevity. It has sukked for many decades.
Jbob04
AG
Highway 7 between the kosse mine and kosse.
B-1 83
AG
Shoefly! said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

The modern term is "smectite".
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
wbt5845
AG
La Fours said:

I-35 in Waco

You haven't been that way in the last couple of months. It's finished - I blew through Waco at 80 mph last weekend.
strbrst777
Local in College Station: the bizarre intersection at University Drive-Stotzer and 2818. Try it, you won't like it!

BBRex
AG
B-1 83 said:

Shoefly! said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

You're calling him out on the name of the clay but not his spelling of "doozy"? I think we found the geology nerds.
B-1 83
AG
BBRex said:

B-1 83 said:

Shoefly! said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

You're calling him out on the name of the clay but not his spelling of "doozy"? I think we found the geology nerds.
Guilty. Soil nerds, more like it.
normaleagle05
AG
B-1 83 said:

BBRex said:

B-1 83 said:

Shoefly! said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

Guilty. Soil nerds, more like it.

That soil is not welcome in that location and is therefore the four letter word dirt.
B-1 83
AG
Dr. M-i-l-f-o-r-d would be proud.
AG
bigfoot10s said:

bigfoot10s said:

1604 West between Military and Bandera in San Antonio. Locked up traffic majority of the time for no reason.

A few years ago, TXDOT looked into expanding it, and their conclusion was "we need to study it longer to decide if necessary".....
I will add, they have started making it 3 lanes through that area, but it is still a mess.
They are actually expanding it to 10 lanes, 5 in each direction in that area. Once complete it should be nice.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
strbrst777 said:

Local in College Station: the bizarre intersection at University Drive-Stotzer and 2818. Try it, you won't like it!

That's a diverging diamond interchange. Designed to keep traffic on 2818 free flowing and be less disruptive to Stotzer traffic and people going from one to the other.
B-1 83
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

strbrst777 said:

That's a diverging diamond interchange. Designed to keep traffic on 2818 free flowing and be less disruptive to Stotzer traffic and people going from one to the other.
It still freaked me out the first time on it before the LSU game.
bigfoot10s
AG
1939 said:

bigfoot10s said:

bigfoot10s said:

1604 West between Military and Bandera in San Antonio. Locked up traffic majority of the time for no reason.

A few years ago, TXDOT looked into expanding it, and their conclusion was "we need to study it longer to decide if necessary".....
I will add, they have started making it 3 lanes through that area, but it is still a mess.
They are actually expanding it to 10 lanes, 5 in each direction in that area. Once complete it should be nice.

At the speed they're going, Christ will come back before it's complete.
texasaggie2015
AG
BBRex said:

Big Money Aggie said:

I-45...anywhere.

The stretch between downtown Houston and Conroe is straight up Road Warrior dystopian.
I make this drive every day for work. It's awful.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I cannot stand the diverging diamond.
B-1 83
AG
bigfoot10s said:

1939 said:

bigfoot10s said:

bigfoot10s said:

At the speed they're going, Christ will come back before it's complete.
I moved from Dumas to Uvalde in 1992, and often wondered if 1604 would ever be completed to at least 6 lanes all around. 30 years later…….. Not enough time, I guess.
panhandlefarmer
AG
You are going to put Colorado and shortest route in your GPS. At Amarillo it will tell you to take FM1061 to Boys Ranch and US385 thru Channing to Hartley. This is what locals call the Highway of Death. Usually very long lines of impatient travelers behind slow oilfield semis, gravel trucks, grain trucks, hay trucks, idiots in RVs, people moving in U-Hauls, etc. There are few passing zones. Someone gets impatient and passes when they shouldn't. Head on wrecks all the time. Steep ditches with nowhere to go. Don't do it.

From Amarillo take US87 (Four lane divided highway) to Dumas and then US87 (Two lane but with many passing zones) to Hartley. Drive this way…not where Google tells you.

68 miles vs 74 miles. 1hr 5mins vs 1hr 8 mins. 3 extra mins for a longer life
Hideyowives
All those who nominated the stretch of 10 between Houston and the Sabine, I second. Drove it Wednesday. Did find plenty of backwoods Louisiana roads that rivals anything I've seen in West Texas.
wbt5845
AG
Truth. And there is a great restaurant in Dumas I try to time for lunch.

At the airport. Go figure - but the place is fantastic.
Texker
AG
Didn't read every post but ditto on anything in Houston and Dallas. As a local ***** I hate the I30 bridge into and out of Rockwall.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
I've driven the Boys Ranch route for years. Not anymore. Thanks for the tip.
TXAG 05
AG
Madmarttigan said:

I-45 through downtown Houston to Galveston is the only highway I hate 7 days a week. Wouldn't even touch it on a weekday and weekends are a **** show.

Don't know what it is about the Gulf Freeway that makes people lose their minds. It's like everyone just closes their eyes and tries to drive using the force or something.
JB
AG
My immediate thought on worst road is between Bastrop and San Marcos. Obviously I'm not the only one!

I get to drive down 35 from Georgetown to San Antonio today. Not looking forward to it.
cryption
45 north in Houston between the beltway and the woodlands
IIIHorn

Used both routes last weekend.
TriAg2010
AG
71 east of Austin. Dangerous combination of speed, traffic, stoplights, cross streets, and business entrances. It needs to be a grade-separated highway with service road.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.