"If you don't want to 1-1 work meetings/lunches with women, it is discrimination"

11,708 Views | 142 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by diehard03
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I follow a few people on Linkedin to read some perspectives and saw this today.

A CEO who has spent decades building his career and does not want to risk a 24-year-old female employee from accusing him of harassment has no recourse. He is "discriminating" and is "not qualified to be a business leader".

Link is here in case you want to read the responses:

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6970061703317245952/

maroon barchetta
Beer Baron
AG
POST 24-YEAR-OLD EMPLOYEE TITS
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
you've got to be nuts to spend time with female colleagues alone now. Spinning the chamber every time, Boris.

javajaws
AG
It's not discriminatory if you treat men and women equally. So no 1-1 meetings in private with either and you are fine.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Ryan the Temp
AG
Mr. Sweeney fundamentally misses the point.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Its so funny to me when people create the world they wish to live in and then shriek in horror of the world they created.
Irish 2.0
I would do the same. Women have no one to blame but the women that have falsely accused men for years of indiscretions that never happened. Guilty until proven innocent is the way things seem to go these days when it comes to anything sexual in nature at the workplace. So, don't allow any opportunities for it to be created.

Is it fair; probably not. It might lead to women being looked over and not afforded similar opportunities to work projects with the leaders. Is it smart; ABSO-****ING-LUTELY!
ABATTBQ11
AG
infinity ag said:

I follow a few people on Linkedin to read some perspectives and saw this today.

A CEO who has spent decades building his career and does not want to risk a 24-year-old female employee from accusing him of harassment has no recourse. He is "discriminating" and is "not qualified to be a business leader".

Hey Rob...

It's not that they can't be trusted to be professional, it's that gold digging hoars can't be trusted to not lie.
LupinusTexensis
I traveled the world with men all my career to now. You learn how to handle yourself or leave the field. If a traveling companion does something weird (which they are likely to do after drinking heavily during work dinners or whatever) you politely move their hand, ask if their wife would appreciate that behavior which usually sobers them up really fast, and then never mention it again. If that doesn't work just leave and avoid that person if they continue that kind of behavior. I've never had a senior person do this though, so I've never had an issue telling someone to eff off if needed.
AliasMan02
AG
LupinusTexensis said:

I traveled the world with men all my career to now. You learn how to handle yourself or leave the field. If a traveling companion does something weird (which they are likely to do after drinking heavily during work dinners or whatever) you politely move their hand, ask if their wife would appreciate that behavior which usually sobers them up really fast, and then never mention it again. If that doesn't work just leave and avoid that person if they continue that kind of behavior. I've never had a senior person do this though, so I've never had an issue telling someone to eff off if needed.

What if he's like "Hell yeah she would, I was gonna Facetime her when we got to the good part" or similar?
Ryan the Temp
AG
I've been on the receiving end of a false sexual harassment complaint from a woman who worked for me and received corrective action. I was treated like a guilty mofo every step of the way and had no recourse but to tell them I was a big 'mo as the only means of saving my job.

I don't blame these men. It's a simple case of somebody went off and ruined it for everybody else.
maroon barchetta
Holy crap.
LupinusTexensis
Ryan the Temp said:

I've been on the receiving end of a false sexual harassment complaint from a woman who worked for me and received corrective action. I was treated like a guilty mofo every step of the way and had no recourse but to tell them I was a big 'mo as the only means of saving my job.

I don't blame these men. It's a simple case of somebody went off and ruined it for everybody else.

But were you hammered in Thailand watching ping pings fly across the room?
Irish 2.0
LupinusTexensis said:

Ryan the Temp said:

Hey, if you're invited to a sporting event, you go to the damn sporting event.
Beer Baron
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

Damn I would've loved to have seen the look on her and her lawyer's face during the deposition.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Quote:

OMG, I just choked on my coffee.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Lunch - no problem. Dinner - only if you know them well.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
I am a Russian Bot
infinity ag
Beer Baron said:

POST 24-YEAR-OLD EMPLOYEE TITS

Search online bro. I recommend bing, not google. Type in any white girl's name and do an image search and remove Explicit filtering.
Profit.
TexasRebel
AG
LupinusTexensis said:

How does this work with single coworkers?
infinity ag
LupinusTexensis said:

I like what you say above. That seems to be the best way to handle it without any of the drama.

Has this happened to you? How often?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Beer Baron said:

Ryan the Temp said:

Damn I would've loved to have seen the look on her and her lawyer's face during the deposition.

RTP sexually harassed me!

You're lying.

No I'm not! Stop victim shaming! Believe all women!

*****, he's gay.

I'll show myself out...
LupinusTexensis
TexasRebel said:

LupinusTexensis said:

How does this work with single coworkers?

It's more about getting someone to pause to stop and think in their horny haze. Might be bf… might be daughter if they have a daughter my ageish. Or it might be a joke calling them a horny old *******. Literally anything to kind of douse them with verbal cold water.
TexasRebel
AG
So single, childless, and your age?
CrottyKid
AG
I don't meet with anyone I directly supervise one on one. Men can make up BS stuff just as well as women.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Quote:

Thankfully it never got tied up in a lawsuit, but it did get to the meeting with the district manager and HR rep where I was going to be fired stage. I let them take it right up to the point where they were about to let me go when I dropped that little bomb on them. The HR rep lowered his head, gave it a couple shakes, and said, "I think we're done here. Sorry to waste your time." That was as close to an apology as I ever got. I wrote the schedule so I intentionally scheduled her to work the same shift I did until she quit.
LupinusTexensis
TexasRebel said:

So single, childless, and your age?

Depending on a myriad of other factors, there's a slim chance that it could be one magical night in Thailand. Certainly less complicated to just let them go find a lady man and let them roll.
Beer Baron
AG
They just took your word for it? Not even a spirited game of Gay Chicken to verify your gayness?

Also, I feel like this could be the plot of a 90s RomCom. Straight womanizer plays gay to get out of a jam. Dogged female HR rep then follows him to verify that he's actually gay, and they fall in love in the process. Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd star.
Ryan34
AG
I meet with all my employees 1 on 1 at least every month, including females. But I'm not ugly so no issues thus far.

(Real answer - just be professional. It's not that hard.)
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

What's not that hard, pervert?
Bad Poster
Ryan the Temp said:

Did she look like this
Ryan the Temp
AG
I wouldn't say it was as simple as that, but I offered to let them talk to people who knew me outside of work and mentioned I had been dating an assistant manager who worked for the company at the same store where the district manager was based. The DM knew that AM had been dating someone who worked at a different store, but didn't know who.
LupinusTexensis
Beer Baron said:

They just took your word for it? Not even a spirited game of Gay Chicken to verify your gayness?

Also, I feel like this could be the plot of a 90s RomCom. Straight womanizer plays gay to get out of a jam. Dogged female HR rep then follows him to verify that he's actually gay, and they fall in love in the process. Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd star.

I was wondering about this too..have to have a bf vouch?? Maybe he's sporadically bi??
Irish 2.0
Ryan34 said:

I meet with all my employees 1 on 1 at least every month, including females. But I'm not ugly so no issues thus far.

Tell that to people that have had their careers and lives ruined by false accusations.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.