Expensive hobbies you save money by not doing

11,398 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Tanya 93
GrayMatter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tattoos.

I've heard they're addictive once you get one. Personally I think it's kind of trashy, but meh, to each their own.
Dr.Rumack
Your Mom?
tandy miller
AG
Dr.Rumack said:

Your Mom?

Lol what kind of poor can't afford $20?!?
FJB
MouthBQ98
AG
I own a horse and show dogs.
Also a boat.

She gets her costly hobbies, I get mine.

Fortunately no children, or I would be flat broke.
maroon barchetta
tandy miller said:

Dr.Rumack said:

Your Mom?

Lol what kind of poor can't afford $20?!?

You had to pay?
Teacher_Ag
AG
GrayMatter said:

Tattoos.

I've heard they're addictive once you get one. Personally I think it's kind of trashy, but meh, to each their own.

That's true. I got one a few years back, around $300 because of the size and quality, now I want more of them but I have a hard time pulling the trigger. It falls too low on the priority list for me to get another but I think about it weekly
tandy miller
AG
Teacher_Ag said:

GrayMatter said:

Tattoos.

That's true. I got one a few years back, around $300 because of the size and quality, now I want more of them but I have a hard time pulling the trigger. It falls too low on the priority list for me to get another but I think about it weekly

I have one and it was a mistake.
FJB
Dr. Nefario
tandy miller said:

Teacher_Ag said:

GrayMatter said:

Tattoos.

I have one and it was a mistake.

Dr. Nefario
Back in the '80s I spent all my money feeding my $1500 per day habit. But damn those faberge eggs were delicious!
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Scuba diving
RC anything
Windsurfing
Car showing
Tomdoss92
AG
Fishing.

Gateway drug can start for free or just a few bucks but leads to expensive equipment and eventually a boat.
permabull
AG
lotsofhp said:

Are there hobbies that don't cost a lot of money?

What is your definition of a lot of money?

There are lots of hobbies you can fill your time with that would only cost $10-20 a week. Video games, freshwater aquarium, disc golf, etc
Green2Maroon
AG
Freshwater is way cheaper than saltwater in general. I have a 40 gallon reef tank and around $3k into it now.

I had a 70 gallon freshwater in college and I don't think I spent $800 on everything total. It was an African cichlid tank. Those are a lot of fun for not much money or skill.
permabull
AG
That is why I made sure to specify freshwater. They say cost of saltwater tanks start where freshwater ones end.
Green2Maroon
AG
hypeiv said:

That is why I made sure to specify freshwater. They say cost of saltwater tanks start where freshwater ones end.

That's a pretty accurate statement. You can spend a lot on a tricked out freshwater planted tank, for example, but normally saltwater is a lot more. Especially a hardcore reef tank.
CaddoAggie96
AG
Only thing I do now is fish. The livescope was the most I have spent on any kind of gear and well worth it.
Aston04
AG
Traveling sports for one's kids.
wbt5845
AG
lotsofhp said:

Are there hobbies that don't cost a lot of money?
Running. Sure, a good pair of shoes is $150, but that's it.
JR Ewing
AG
Green2Maroon said:

Driving my truck. At 18 mpg and $4.85 a gallon it's just horrible.

You get 18 mpg? Nice! I guess my truck is less efficient...
JR Ewing
AG
Aston04 said:

Traveling sports for one's kids.

But that's how you get victory goblets!
Anchorhold
Apparently you can get it in a can now. NSFstaff.

https://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/cocaine-and-p****-energy-drinks/

https://www.drinkstuff.com/products/product.asp?ID=6150
dabo man
AG
guns golf guitars

h1ag
AG
Skiing. At least it's seasonal so I only set cash on fire for 1/3 of the year. Now time to book that trip to South America. Probably going to need new sticks to match the conditions too…
Win At Life
AG
h1ag said:

Skiing. At least it's seasonal so I only set cash on fire for 1/3 of the year. Now time to book that trip to South America. Probably going to need new sticks to match the conditions too…
I boarded Vale Nevado outside of Santiago. Completely above the tree line (not that high elevation, so not sure what causes that) with absolutely nothing but white and complete fog white-out. Absolutely no point of reference. Didn't know if I was moving forward, left or right. Completely unskiiable. I think the fog like that in the Andes is common, so be prepared to work around that. Oh, and boarding in the Andes is cheaper than space flight, so there's that.
firethewagonup
Kuhkaine
That's booger sugar to you laments
Gigem Aggies
dcAg
Airplane racing.
Indy car racing.
Yacht racing
The Kraken
AG
General Aviation
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Smeghead4761
Four days and over 60 posts, and nobody has mentioned shooting.

Ammo prices aren't as bad as they were 12-18 months ago, but they still haven't recovered from the Wu Flu/BLM spike of 2020. .223 is still around $0.40 a round for the cheapest plinking ammo, 9mm about $0.25 a round.

Plus range fees and guns.

Also obstacle course racing. (Spartan race, etc) Entry fees aren't bad if the race is near where you live, but if it's more than 2-3 hours away, the travel costs (gas, hotel, etc) add up quick.
Anchorhold
You can get a PS2 and a few GTA games for under $150. That covers both of your sugestions.
Eliminatus
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

Four days and over 60 posts, and nobody has mentioned shooting.

Ammo prices aren't as bad as they were 12-18 months ago, but they still haven't recovered from the Wu Flu/BLM spike of 2020. .223 is still around $0.40 a round for the cheapest plinking ammo, 9mm about $0.25 a round.

Plus range fees and guns.

Also obstacle course racing. (Spartan race, etc) Entry fees aren't bad if the race is near where you live, but if it's more than 2-3 hours away, the travel costs (gas, hotel, etc) add up quick.

Can attest to the price of shooting. It may not be race cars or flying your own plane but it can snowball for the average Joe just the same. Even before the craziness, ammo prices were still limiting a lot of people to less enjoyment than they wanted. Now, it just sucks. But at least you can readily find most calibers now.

Not to mention the sub hobbies of shooting. I got into reloading and casting and am down almost five digits to that alone and I am not even close to the extreme you can go there. Eyeing true swaging now which will probably be at least another 2K min.

Firearms and firearm activities are expensive as ***** The only thing I regret now are my suppressors though. They honestly aren't THAT cool and I still wear ear pro regardless. The several K I spent on that should have gone to more guns tbh.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Recently got back into beer league hockey. The recurring cost is low but the initial cost of skates, pads, sticks, etc. was pretty steep.
AgResearch
AG
Motorboating
Green2Maroon
AG
Yeah I have $7-8k in guns and optics with at least another grand in reloading stuff. I want to get back into reloading mainly for my .280AI. I was getting awesome speed with it but couldn't get the accuracy dialed in.
TheHappyCouch-potato
cocaine
Green2Maroon
AG
I do want to invest in a suppressor or two. Maybe one for my gas piston AR and one for my .260 or .280.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.