Expensive hobbies you save money by not doing

11,313 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Tanya 93
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AgResearch said:

Motorboating
Aston04
AG
JR Ewing said:

Aston04 said:

Traveling sports for one's kids.

But that's how you get victory goblets!
I have a daughter who is really good at swimming... and son who is really good at soccer (granted he is only going in the second grade - but he hangs with traveling 3rd/4th graders when playing a level up, despite not being big for his age). But it's getting crazy expensive.

The hardest part though is the time commitment driving to practices..
OriolePete
Collecting football cards. One day I'll stop.
javajaws
AG
I was going to break out my camera gear and studio lighting to take pictures of my gun collection, but I didn't have any room because of the bikes in the house. So I turn on some music on my audiophile stereo system and take the bikes to the garage. But the garage doesn't have any space because the motorcycle and woodworking gear are taking up too much space. So I roll the bikes out to the patio and leaned them on the 1000 lb smoker I built.

Realizing that smoker seems heavier than it used to be I decide to hit the home gym for a quick workout. I decide to work out my arms and core to help with my fly casting which showed a drastic need for improvement last month in Colorado.

Finally getting back to the pictures I decided I needed to clear up some space on some memory cards first but then realized I needed to put a new hard drive in my computer. Ordered one on Amazon but it won't be here until tomorrow. Guess I can play video games for awhile or read a book. I'm sure the wife will get bored and want attention this evening. What will it be tonight? Boardgame? Movie in the home theater? Strip club? Dancing?

Sometimes I wonder if I have too many hobbies or not enough....or is life just one big hobby?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Bluto06
AG
javajaws said:

I was going to break out my camera gear and studio lighting to take pictures of my gun collection, but I didn't have any room because of the bikes in the house. So I turn on some music on my audiophile stereo system and take the bikes to the garage. But the garage doesn't have any space because the motorcycle and woodworking gear are taking up too much space. So I roll the bikes out to the patio and leaned them on the 1000 lb smoker I built.

Realizing that smoker seems heavier than it used to be I decide to hit the home gym for a quick workout. I decide to work out my arms and core to help with my fly casting which showed a drastic need for improvement last month in Colorado.

Finally getting back to the pictures I decided I needed to clear up some space on some memory cards first but then realized I needed to put a new hard drive in my computer. Ordered one on Amazon but it won't be here until tomorrow. Guess I can play video games for awhile or read a book. I'm sure the wife will get bored and want attention this evening. What will it be tonight? Boardgame? Movie in the home theater? Strip club? Dancing?

Sometimes I wonder if I have too many hobbies or not enough....or is life just one big hobby?
I'm not sure why...but I feel attacked.
duffelpud
AG
Rural real estate addiction. See also 'Bill Gates'.
"What's this button do?"
tgivaughn
AG
Agree with the previous but find this omission:
GARDENING in a Texas climate w/Texas water

Usually money down the drain
More failures than successes
One does well, the others turn brown
Nature's volunteers do great while the pampered $$$$ ones sweated over wilt
IMHO and am sticking to it
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Flying (like piloting your own airplane)

Gave it up a few years ago. I'd like to get back up in the air, but it ain't cheap.
harge57
AG
Yall sound boring.
BostonAg74
Woodworking (collecting expensive power tools that you rarely use)
Model Railroading (Little tiny trains are expensive)
Collecting wooden jigsaw puzzles

And no, I haven't been able to resist.....
lotsofhp
AG
BostonAg74 said:

Woodworking (collecting expensive power tools that you rarely use)
Model Railroading (Little tiny trains are expensive)
Collecting wooden jigsaw puzzles

And no, I haven't been able to resist.....

I've done work for 2 different men who have a large purpose built rooms on their homes specially for their model trains.

As dorky as it sounds, both of them were amazing. The craftsmanship on both of them were spectacular. One guys was a model of all the rail yards around San Antonio and the other guy had a theme too I can't remember.

One said that once or twice a month, men would come over and they'd run schedules.

I thought it was really cool that these guys had a fun hobby they enjoyed so much.
BostonAg74
People get into model railroading for different reasons. Some people are really into the history of railroading, some just like to watch little machines go around in circles, and some (like me) like the challenge of recreating the past in miniature. My specialty recently has been designing and building systems that allow for the easy assembly and disassembly of large train layouts so they can be transported to various model train shows. (I did this for one model train club and have been asked to do it for another) I also like creating little villages where all the storefronts light up and the streetlights work. For a Christmas display, I made an N scale replica of the town square of the New England coastal town where we lived for 27 years, and included a working train layout going through it. Like I said, not so much the trains as just the desire to make little tiny things.
TequilaMockingbird
Guitars and related equipment.
TequilaMockingbird
AgResearch said:

Motorboating
maroon barchetta
TequilaMockingbird said:

Guitars and related equipment.

lotsofhp
AG
BostonAg74 said:

People get into model railroading for different reasons. Some people are really into the history of railroading, some just like to watch little machines go around in circles, and some (like me) like the challenge of recreating the past in miniature. My specialty recently has been designing and building systems that allow for the easy assembly and disassembly of large train layouts so they can be transported to various model train shows. (I did this for one model train club and have been asked to do it for another) I also like creating little villages where all the storefronts light up and the streetlights work. For a Christmas display, I made an N scale replica of the town square of the New England coastal town where we lived for 27 years, and included a working train layout going through it. Like I said, not so much the trains as just the desire to make little tiny things.

Sounds awesome, you should post some pictures of your creations.

I think there is a lot of nostalgia to it too. Seeing a model train do a loop around a Christmas tree can really take you back to being a kid excited on Christmas Eve.
Ryan the Temp
AG
1. Having kids
2. Hot-rodding cars
3. Mountaineering
AgCat93
AG
One star instead of three at Texags...
agracer
AG
Cars
Psychag
AG
Sports cards collecting
Record collecting
Teacher_Ag
AG
Record collecting is one I've narrowly avoided getting sucked into...and its one you could easily drop a few thousand on bit by bit without really noticing.
TRIDENT
AG
Catching billfish.
Psychag
AG
The quarantine reignited my record collecting (and listening), but with my son this time. Fortunately, I have not paid too much for vinyls. Currently have about 600 records.
crowman2010
AG
Your mom
Tanya 93
Quilting has gotten really pricy, so I stick to knitting now

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.