Something You've Done No One Else Here Has Done

57,995 Views | 520 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Max Power
JABQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Claude! said:

Green2Maroon said:

Claude! said:

Been to North Korea

When and how did you pull that off? An American traveling there is far from routine.
The story is less interesting than it sounds. I lived in Korea for a couple of years as a kid while my dad was stationed there. We took a tour of the DMZ, which included a visit to a building, half in the North and half in the South, where the parties used to meet for negotiations. As part of the tour, we could go around the table and "across the border" into North Korea. I have a framed certificate of that somewhere; I'll see if I can dig it up.

Possibly not unique amongst this crew, but I've also ridden in a Cobra helicopter. Unrelated to my NK visit.

I regret not visiting the DMZ while in Korea. Would have been cool, but I hated being there, hated my unit, so I was drunk as much as possible. Did make some good friends though, and now that I'm not in I wouldn't mind going back and being able to actually explore and visit some stuff I wasn't able to before
Big Tuna
Met the late Ronald Reagan
HillCountry15
Had dinner with Paul Rusesabagina (Hotel Rwanda guy). Absolutely remarkable and humble man. Currently being wrongfully imprisoned by the Rwandan government.
TexAggee05
AG
swam in the Panama Canal
chico
AG
Rode a bicycle across Rwanda, from Lake Kivu at Dem Rep of Congo to Akageri River at Tanzania. Raised money for genocide survivors and a local orphanage. Tremendous experience-
chico
AG
HillCountry15 said:

Had dinner with Paul Rusesabagina (Hotel Rwanda guy). Absolutely remarkable and humble man. Currently being wrongfully imprisoned by the Rwandan government.

I had lunch and a beer at that hotel in 2014. It was called Mil Colines or something like that
RAB87
AG
Swam with a whale shark a half mile off the coast of Hawaii. Totally unplanned encounter in deep water.
vmiaptetr
AG
Weird question, but was that experience near Electric Beach?
nai06
AG
RAB87 said:

Swam with a whale shark a half mile off the coast of Hawaii. Totally unplanned encounter in deep water.

I did that in Mexico. It still amazes me how big those things are
CaddoAggie96
AG
Met Donna Douglas (Elly May) from the Beverly Hillbillies.
Got A photo with Danny White.
Old Ag 95
AG
Watched Good Morning Vietnam, while in Vietnam…
LupinusTexensis
RAB87 said:

I haven't ever done that kind of thing. I will tolerate but do not embrace deep water. I would love to one day kayak and with a whale or some such business. Best I've had is seeing an endangered sea turtle.
Alte Schule
Prior to the 1984 Wiley Lecture my wife and I, along with 20 others, had dinner with Presidents Ford and Carter and the Prime Minister of England before Thatcher. My wife worked for TAMU President Vandiver at the time so I got to tag along.

President Ford talked about playing football at Michigan and turning down an offer from the Lions to play pro ball to attend Yale Law School. President Carter spoke about the Iran Hostage fiasco. I could tell he had a deep seated hatred for the Ayatollah.
maroon barchetta
Alte Schule said:

Prior to the 1984 Wiley Lecture my wife and I, along with 20 others, had dinner with Presidents Ford and Carter and the Prime Minister of England before Thatcher. My wife worked for TAMU President Vandiver at the time so I got to tag along.

President Ford talked about playing football at Michigan and turning down an offer from the Lions to play pro ball to attend Yale Law School. President Carter spoke about the Iran Hostage fiasco. I could tell he had a deep seated hatred for the Ayatollah.

SO SAY WE ALL!!!
birdman
TRIDENT said:

Caught five species of billfish: Atlantic blue marlin, Pacific blue marlin, Striped Marlin, swordfish, Atlantic sailfish. Plus mako, wahoo, yellowfin tuna, mahimahi, cobia, tarpon, snook and more. I've got a bad fishing habit.
I have a grand slam of billfish.

Mine were all caught on handline. Old Man and the Sea style.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
I just remembered that I say behind Bush 41 and Gorbachav at A&M Consolidated baseball game. I will see if I can find picture.
Green2Maroon
AG
That's pretty badass.
MouthBQ98
AG
Twice ran into my brother at random on offshore oil rigs. Once he happened to come in on the helicopter I was leaving on.
The Lost
Joke already made
Dr. Mephisto
AG
LupinusTexensis said:

I'm lucky I haven't been murdered and stuffed in a sack somewhere

Let me know if you're still interested.

I know a guy.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

Is there anything you have done you think no one else on this board has done?
Been to Wake Island, Midway, and Iwo Jima.

Larry Csonka told me to hurry up when I was sitting on the toilet in my motel room.

Paul Warfield asked me if I was going to eat my salad.

I was standing next to the photographer - actually tossed the football to Kiick.

Cat Stevens apologized for almost hitting me with a wad of gum.

Presidential limos - a few stories.

Got to chat with and explain what we were doing on an airdrop with Cinc ***** - I think his title was Commander of the People's Liberation Army General Staff Department.

The edited part was a word that sounds like sink.

Humorous Username
AG
Lost my virginity at 19 in a threesome with two female co-workers.
Green2Maroon
AG
If that's true, holy crap dude!
Humorous Username
AG
It's true and it was spectacular. One was also 19, the other was 20. They were roommates.

Dated the 20-year-old for three months after that.
Green2Maroon
AG
Damn dude!
GAC06
AG
Got hammered on Wake on the 70th anniversary of the first Jap attack. Couple nights later watched a lunar eclipse from a sandbar in the lagoon. No better place to see stars besides open ocean or outer space
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

Don't think it meets the OP's criteria.
Humorous Username
AG
Hey Nav said:

Quote:

Don't think it meets the OP's criteria.

If someone else on this board has done this at 19, with co-workers, then that's awesome, but I don't think they have.
Green2Maroon
AG
This is pretty dirty, but I got hurt and had to be seen as a result of hitting it with a girl. True story.
Alte Schule
maroon barchetta said:

Alte Schule said:

SO SAY WE ALL!!!
To add a little bit to this President Carter talked about having a telephone call with the Ayatoolah right after ithe big three, ABC, CBS and NBC, announced that he (Ayatollah) was going to put all the American hostages on trial. Carter told the Ayatollah that if those trials were to begin he, and his country, would feel the full power of the United States military within 24 hrs.

And the Ayatollah never mentioned it again.

Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

Got hammered on Wake on the 70th anniversary of the first Jap attack. Couple nights later watched a lunar eclipse from a sandbar in the lagoon. No better place to see stars besides open ocean or outer space.
Way back in the day, there was very little support there. Glad you got to go there. So true about your comments.

Flying from Hawaii to Kwajalein on a clear night was great. Pilots spending maybe 10 hours being nice to the Nav who was using the stars to do their thing (at least until they got a VOR signal) was great. Nights with lots of weather - not as fun. This was in the days before INS, GPS, etc. We didn't even have LORAN on our planes.

ABATTBQ11
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Played with a snow leopard in a hotel room

What's Jeff Lowe like?

Dunno. Never met him.
Sea Speed
AG
LupinusTexensis said:

RAB87 said:

I haven't ever done that kind of thing. I will tolerate but do not embrace deep water. I would love to one day kayak and with a whale or some such business. Best I've had is seeing an endangered sea turtle.

Wife and I walked up on a turtle laying her eggs in Costa Rica.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Flew the Goodyear blimp when it was in Houston.

Had the option to get my name in the side and a photo or to fly it. Told the pilot to move over.

I was like 7 or 8 at the time.

~egon
Tatem
I got married at Disney world. Anyone else?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.