Why do wake up calls in hotels still exist?

5,783 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgsMyDude
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I mean who doesn't have a smartphone, plus the clocks have an alarm.

These confuse me.
TecRecAg
AG
Peace of mind, I suppose.
Jack Cheese
AG
wbt5845
AG
Followed closely by those checking out in person. Just leave - they e-mail you the receipt.
swc93
AG
Doesn't help when the front desk asks every-time you walk past. "Ready to check out?" while I am carrying a tiny tray of yogurts, bananas, bagels and coffee back to my room.
Ulrich
Why is everything in the room modern and nice but the clock radio is always straight out of the 1980s?
Same answer, actually. Lots of travelers are really old.
Corn Pop
Because 99% of the time I stay in a hotel I'm so far gone I couldn't find the buttons to push on my phone anyway. Easier for someone else to just wake me up.
Dread Pirate Roberts
wbt5845 said:

Followed closely by those checking out in person. Just leave - they e-mail you the receipt.

I see this everytime I'm at a hotel. I think some people haven't stayed at a hotel since they were kids where they saw their parents check out at the desk and think thats what you do.
TexasRebel
AG
Corn Pop said:

Because 99% of the time I stay in a hotel I'm so far gone I couldn't find the buttons to push on my phone anyway. Easier for someone else to just wake me up.

"Hey, Siri. Wake me up at ten."
Ol_Ag_02
AG
wbt5845 said:

Takes me ten seconds to stop and tell them I'm leaving and throw my room keys on the counter. Then I know they can start cleaning the room early.

Early clean times mean earlier check in availability for someone else. I know that when I travel it's nice to be able to check in a little early if needed and go up to the room for half an hour to refresh.

But then again, I don't watch band videos and I'm a considerate human being.
wangus12
AG
Corn Pop said:

Guess the hooker was just that good huh
Petrino1
wbt5845 said:

I gotta admit, Im one of those that always checks out lol, its just habit. I think part of it is to drop off the room keys, and the other part is to make sure I didnt get charged for anything extra. I dont want to leave with their room keys.
chiken
AG
why does your mom exist?
ac04
why separate knob, WHY separate knob?!!
Win At Life
AG
wbt5845 said:

I did not get an email receipt at my stop in NO 2 weeks ago. And the paper receipt they handed me at the front desk was not the same number that hit my CC.
Burdizzo
AG
Ulrich said:

Why is everything in the room modern and nice but the clock radio is always straight out of the 1980s?
Same answer, actually. Lots of travelers are really old.

It has to be large and bulky to disguise the Chinese camera that is in it recording your sexual escapades.
Aggie521
AG
So you have something to create a topic about on a message board.
Jack Cheese
AG
TexasRebel said:

Corn Pop said:

"Hey, Siri. Wake me up at ten."

Corn Pop tried that with his flip phone, didn't work.
TXAG 05
AG
There was a time, not that long ago, when smartphones didn't exist.

I would think these days, the wake up call is used more for backup in case the alarm doesn't go off for whatever reason, or you turn it off instead of hitting the snooze
TxAG#2011
Ol_Ag_02 said:

wbt5845 said:

Takes me ten seconds to stop and tell them I'm leaving and throw my room keys on the counter. Then I know they can start cleaning the room early.

Early clean times mean earlier check in availability for someone else. I know that when I travel it's nice to be able to check in a little early if needed and go up to the room for half an hour to refresh.

Not checking out and going back to room to take a dump have saved me on quite a few occasions
Tomdoss92
AG
Because you touch yourself at night.
oldschool87
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

wbt5845 said:

I don't think you understand the purpose of the reservation.

The reservation holds the room. You have no problem taking the reservation, you just don't understand the purpose of the reservation. Because if you did understand why you take the reservation, I would be in the reserved room instead of talking to you.
Jack Cheese
AG
I laughed
Buzzy

Anyone can take a reservation, but it is the holding of the reservation that is the important part.
Buzzy

If OP wants a serious answer:

Same reason there is Braille in the elevator.

Some hotel guests are hearing impaired, and the telephone ringing is a lot louder than their phone alarm, so they ask for a telephone call.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
wbt5845 said:

I was glad I in-person checked out last time I stayed in a hotel and they got the tax calculation wrong. Those 10 minutes saved me about 3 weeks of calls emails and such.
Psychag
AG
They also still have clock radios.
Slim Isle
Because some people still use them!!
Ragoo
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

wbt5845 said:

you know most hotels let you do the same thing from their app. You can even do it walking to the elevator. Super hard Though old man.
Aggie
AG
wbt5845 said:

Because if there is any dispute with the bill I want to dispute it right then and there and in person.

When you Goto a restaurant would you just give them your card and say hey just email the receipt after I leave ?
average_joker
AG
Half the time I find room keys in my pockets when I get to the airport. No one cares about room keys.
barbacoa taco
AG
i just want to know who is insane enough to unpack their clothes and put them in the drawers at a hotel
62strat
AG
wbt5845 said:

receipt? Lol.

Please, it's called a folio.
62strat
AG
Those of you with door keys need to up your game and stay at a hotel that is in the 21st century with mobile keys.
No going to the desk to check in, let alone out.
TX04Aggie
AG
I checkout on the app. I get late checkout anyways due to status so if I leave earlier than the late checkout, I will make sure to do it on the app, or just let housekeeping know if they are on the hall. Also you can view your charges on the app if you are worried about anything. But typically in my 15 years of near permanent travel, they have rarely gotten my bill wrong and it has always been taken care of immediately when I have called. Most hotels now I can skip front desk and use my phone to check in and as my room key.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.