Dog Potty Training Tips?

3,061 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Old RV Ag
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Most people would grasp their pearls at this idea but it worked for our dogs.

Rub their nose in it, say NO, then toss them outside.
Tobias Funke
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

tandy miller said:

Noname124398 said:

ETA: pee pads only reinforce the idea that your house is his restroom. The long term solution requires a bit of cleanup at first but it pays off in the long run.
I would think that him peeing on the carpet with no punishment also does the same. I don't punish him when i dont catch him in the act, as he wouldnt know what hes being punished for. Also never rub his nose in it.

I could be wrong though, as im no Cesar Milan.

Cesar Milan is a ****ty hack. No one in the training world ages with anything he says and think it's complete bull**** he ever had a show to spread his idiotic ideas.

I read his How To Raise the Perfect Dog book a week before I picked up my 2 month old rescue, and I've done a pretty good job of following the tips he gave in it. 5 weeks in, she has had very few accidents and I've been told by the two people who have puppysat her that she's very well behaved, advanced, and easy to take care of.
So I am either incredibly lucky with this pup or he's not a complete hack.

Also, rolling up my rugs and putting them away seems to have eliminated the temptation to go inside completely. If you have carpet it may be a lot harder.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Txhuntr said:

Take him outside every 1.5-2 hours. Don't go back inside until he pees. Be sure to give him positive reinforcement when he does pee outside.

+1

I spent a lot of time outside saying "go potty" until our dog would finally go and then I'd give him a treat and we could go back inside. That worked and "potty" became a command that he would immediately go poop or pee when I said it.
Old RV Ag
AG
Cut his balls off.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.