TAMU's Engineering School

5,313 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by infinity ag
agnerd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So it's like a new-Kyle, old-Kyle thing? His money was great during an economic downturn and kept the college afloat when it needed it most, but now that we have new Zachry, the price went up and you have to up you contribution to remain a part of the show?
Old RV Ag
AG
Ragoo said:

Old RV Ag said:

infinity ag said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

hedge said:

He was a racist

Yes and no. While there's no proof of him being an actual racist, they removed his name based on the fact that he was a white male born before 1950 which implies racism. Imagine being a student of color having to enter a building named after an old white guy who you can assume was probably racist.

When did this happen?
When I was at A&M's Engineering school in the mid 90s, I had not heard of "Look School", it was just TAMU Engineering. Then I noticed it after 2000. Now it is gone again.

Zachary is an even older white guy, is his name no longer on the Engineering building after all the $$$ he donated.
First, it is Zachry.

As for Dwight Look it might be endowment related. Dwight gave land in Guam he owned that was supposedly valued at over $50 million - so for that they named the college after him. Now, the land turned out to really be worth less than $10 million in more recent times. Given that naming a department like mechanical engineering requires in the $15-20 million range they may have felt it was inverted for the college to be named after him. I don't think it was any nefarious SJW, racist accusations, etc. I don't have concrete proof but from the bits I know that's my take.
from 2002, not sure the value today. Story checks out timing is off though. If they knew in 2002 the true value why didn't they drop the name then? Maybe donation levels have been raised since then. Or there was always a term limitation.

https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/140925
The $20 million Walker gave mechanical engineering to name the department (which he also did at tu) a few years ago may have been what triggered them to do it. Also, the optics of doing too close to his death would have been bad - it's bad either way. Just speculating.
pillow
AG
Mike was a brilliant man
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

I was being sarcastic

I got that. But in the current climate, I'd probably go back and edit those comments out. Not everyone who sees it is going to be familiar with your posting style.
infinity ag
agnerd said:

So it's like a new-Kyle, old-Kyle thing? His money was great during an economic downturn and kept the college afloat when it needed it most, but now that we have new Zachry, the price went up and you have to up you contribution to remain a part of the show?

So what is next?

Kyle Field renamed to Chik-fil-A Field just because they threw a few millions at TAMU?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.