TAMU's Engineering School

5,320 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by infinity ag
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It used to be Look College of Engineering. Has the "Dwight Look" name been taken off?

https://engineering.tamu.edu/

It seems to be just "College of Engineering" now.
Builder93
AG
Probably getting ready for the "Katherine Banks College of Engineering" name change.
azul_rain
He was a racist
Aggie Joe 93
AG
Maybe too much confusion? Look at what? Look at the College of Engineering?
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
hedge said:

He was a racist

Yes and no. While there's no proof of him being an actual racist, they removed his name based on the fact that he was a white male born before 1950 which implies racism. Imagine being a student of color having to enter a building named after an old white guy who you can assume was probably racist.
infinity ag
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

hedge said:

He was a racist

Yes and no. While there's no proof of him being an actual racist, they removed his name based on the fact that he was a white male born before 1950 which implies racism. Imagine being a student of color having to enter a building named after an old white guy who you can assume was probably racist.

When did this happen?
When I was at A&M's Engineering school in the mid 90s, I had not heard of "Look School", it was just TAMU Engineering. Then I noticed it after 2000. Now it is gone again.

Zachary is an even older white guy, is his name no longer on the Engineering building after all the $$$ he donated.
azul_rain
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

hedge said:

He was a racist

I was being sarcastic
lancevance
This stuff is getting out of hand. Han, Abdul, Bupesh and Kim, the actual graduate and PhD students for whom the school actually exists are more concerned with what version of Matlab is in the labs and where can they find ethnic groceries. They dont care who did what in 1822.
agnerd
AG
When my grandkids find out that I had an outside dog, an internal combustion engine vehicle, and that I refer to my black friends as 'black,' they're probably going to be pretty ashamed of me, too.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
lancevance said:

This stuff is getting out of hand. Han, Abdul, Bupesh and Kim, the actual graduate and PhD students for whom the school actually exists are more concerned with what version of Matlab is in the labs and where can they find ethnic groceries. They dont care who did what in 1822.
What version of Matlab IS in the lab?
Goose
AG
agnerd said:

When my grandkids find out that I had an outside dog, an internal combustion engine vehicle, and that I refer to my black friends as 'black,' they're probably going to be pretty ashamed of me, too.
My kids think it's funny that Mrs. Goose and I were born "way back in the Nineteen-Hundreds".
Ag with kids
AG
Shai-Hulud said:

lancevance said:

What version of Matlab IS in the lab?
I've got 2020b. Since I work for TAMU-CC I assume it's a systemwide thing...
saber69
AG
Just what is a "Matlab" anyway?
Ag with kids
AG
saber69 said:

It's a thing we nerds use...
azul_rain
Sounds gay
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
ac04
hedge said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

hedge said:

He was a racist

I was being sarcastic

so was he
Ag with kids
AG
hedge said:

Sounds gay
Nerds are gay?
saber69
AG
Ag with kids said:

saber69 said:

This nerd used a slide rule.
Ag with kids
AG
saber69 said:

Ag with kids said:

saber69 said:

I've seen one of those...

And I'm from the era when started your computer program by inserting the card deck...
infinity ag
Ag with kids said:

saber69 said:

Along with P-Spice and H-Spice
IIIHorn
saber69 said:

Ag with kids said:

saber69 said:

Timed with a sundial?
infinity ag
Ag with kids said:

hedge said:

Sounds gay
Nerds are gay?

Nerds rule the world man
saber69
AG
Ag with kids said:

saber69 said:

Ag with kids said:

saber69 said:

Yes, I know about EBCDIC and punching your cards.

I've seen one of those...

And I'm from the era when started your computer program by inserting the card deck...
infinity ag
saber69 said:

Ag with kids said:

saber69 said:

So did my dad.
I used a TI calculator
lancevance
saber69 said:

Programming language for math and engineering. You can enter formulas in it directly.
Ag with kids
AG
infinity ag said:

Ag with kids said:

saber69 said:

Along with P-Spice and H-Spice
?crop=1.00xw:1.00xh;0,0&resize=980:*

I always get those two mixed up...which ones are they again?
Ag with kids
AG
infinity ag said:

saber69 said:

Ag with kids said:

saber69 said:

So did my dad.
I used a TI calculator
HP-41CV with RPN for the win...
saber69
AG
Calculators were just being introduced.

I was born 10 years too soon.
The Dirty Sock
Old RV Ag
AG
infinity ag said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

hedge said:

He was a racist

When did this happen?
When I was at A&M's Engineering school in the mid 90s, I had not heard of "Look School", it was just TAMU Engineering. Then I noticed it after 2000. Now it is gone again.

Zachary is an even older white guy, is his name no longer on the Engineering building after all the $$$ he donated.
First, it is Zachry.

As for Dwight Look it might be endowment related. Dwight gave land in Guam he owned that was supposedly valued at over $50 million - so for that they named the college after him. Now, the land turned out to really be worth less than $10 million in more recent times. Given that naming a department like mechanical engineering requires in the $15-20 million range they may have felt it was inverted for the college to be named after him. I don't think it was any nefarious SJW, racist accusations, etc. I don't have concrete proof but from the bits I know that's my take.
culdeus
AG
Ag with kids said:

infinity ag said:

saber69 said:

Ag with kids said:

saber69 said:

So did my dad.
I used a TI calculator
That RPN stuff was some of the dumbest **** ever. I bet you drive a Chevy Bolt.
Ag with kids
AG
culdeus said:

Ag with kids said:

infinity ag said:

saber69 said:

Ag with kids said:

saber69 said:

So did my dad.
I used a TI calculator
That RPN stuff was some of the dumbest **** ever. I bet you drive a Chevy Bolt.
It IS still really awesome. Sorry it confused you.

And I drive a 2 door stick shift Jeep JL...

Oh yeah...stick shift. Other things you can't comprehend.
The Fife
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

hedge said:

He was a racist

Literally shaking, I can't even
Maximus_Meridius
AG
saber69 said:

Ag with kids said:

saber69 said:

So did I, and I'm class of 2007. It was my emergency backup to my HP32SII RPN calculator. And yeah...I did actually use it on a test when I forgot to reload my backup batteries...
Ragoo
AG
Old RV Ag said:

infinity ag said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

hedge said:

He was a racist

When did this happen?

First, it is Zachry.

As for Dwight Look it might be endowment related. Dwight gave land in Guam he owned that was supposedly valued at over $50 million - so for that they named the college after him. Now, the land turned out to really be worth less than $10 million in more recent times. Given that naming a department like mechanical engineering requires in the $15-20 million range they may have felt it was inverted for the college to be named after him. I don't think it was any nefarious SJW, racist accusations, etc. I don't have concrete proof but from the bits I know that's my take.
from 2002, not sure the value today. Story checks out timing is off though. If they knew in 2002 the true value why didn't they drop the name then? Maybe donation levels have been raised since then. Or there was always a term limitation.

https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/140925
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.