Waking up for a couple of hours in the middle of the night....

6,188 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Satellite of Love
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
... is likely normal. We have been taught 8 straight hours of sleep is "healthy". But going to sleep a couple of hours after dusk, waking for a couple of hours in the middle of the night, and rising close to dawn is historically a normal.sleep pattern.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/magazine-16964783

Quote:

Ekirch's book At Day's Close: Night in Times Past, published four years later, unearths more than 500 references to a segmented sleeping pattern - in diaries, court records, medical books and literature, from Homer's Odyssey to an anthropological account of modern tribes in Nigeria.

Much like the experience of Wehr's subjects, these references describe a first sleep which began about two hours after dusk, followed by waking period of one or two hours and then a second sleep.

"It's not just the number of references - it is the way they refer to it, as if it was common knowledge," Ekirch says.

During this waking period people were quite active. They often got up, went to the toilet or smoked tobacco and some even visited neighbours. Most people stayed in bed, read, wrote and often prayed. Countless prayer manuals from the late 15th Century offered special prayers for the hours in between sleeps.

Ekirch found that references to the first and second sleep started to disappear during the late 17th Century. This started among the urban upper classes in northern Europe and over the course of the next 200 years filtered down to the rest of Western society.

By the 1920s the idea of a first and second sleep had receded entirely from our social consciousness.
AliasMan02
AG
The boning hours
ABATTBQ11
AG
It's well documented that people used to wake between sleep cycles.
Tatem
I've done this since I graduated college. I
n fact, I woke early this morning, took a shower, watched TV, and then went back to bed.
I hate it
Shakes the Clown
I average 5 hours of sleep

Quality of sleeps is better than quantity
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
I never sleep through the night. Always sleep for a couple hours, wake up, go back to sleep, rinse and repeat til morning. Wish I could sleep through the night.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I thought I was the only one that did this. It drives me crazy so I just go to bed around 1 AM and get up about 6:30. Good to know this is actually pretty normal.
UTExan
I am used to this. When I lived in warmer climates and in pre-digital days, I would grab my pistol and go patrol the boundaries of the property.
Now I just play a Youtube video of someone with a droning, soporific voice and drift back off to sleep.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
jetch17
AG
When you Afrikaant sleep?
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Pretty sure that's exactly what the OP's post says.
UTExan
jetch17 said:

When you Afrikaant sleep?
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
TMACsDaMan
any polyphasic sleepers here?
wbt5845
AG
TMACsDaMan said:

any polyphasic sleepers here?

My MiL. She sleeps from 2-5 AM, takes 30-45 minute naps between 9-10 AM, 1-2 PM and 6-7 PM. Needless to say, she's been divorced and living by herself for a long time.
ABATTBQ11
AG
SWC Ag said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Pretty sure that's exactly what the OP's post says.

Yeah, that's why it shouldn't be surprising.
AggieVictor10
AG
For about the last year or so, I can't sleep through the night and wake up once every couple hours.

It's not a huge deal but it's annoying and I'm not sure why it started happening.
combat wombat™
AG
Sometimes I will fall asleep for an hour to an hour and a half after dinner, stay awake until around midnight, and then go to sleep until about 6:30 or 7:30 (depends on whether the kids are in school or it's summer).
Shooter McGavin
AG
combat wombat said:

Sometimes I will fall asleep for an hour to an hour and a half after dinner, stay awake until around midnight, and then go to sleep until about 6:30 or 7:30 (depends on whether the kids are in school or it's summer).
I've noticed I have a hard time staying awake from 8-9pm. Then around 9pm I'm wide awake until midnight. Sleep until 5am.

Kinda weird but I actually like it.
The Fife
ABATTBQ11 said:

I have for as long as I can remember. Not sure if the kids do or not, but getting them to go to bed has never been an issue since I keep lights dim around dusk and they get sleepy on their own.
Slim Isle
I think it's a city stress problem. Hauling hay, planting 100 foot rows by hand, digging holes all day, feeding animals at the crack of dawn etc etc will cure that.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Quote:

I keep lights dim around dusk and they get sleepy on their own.

**** that noise. What a pain in the ass. I can't stand going to old people's houses with the curtains drawn, plastic shutters closed, and only a table lap on for light.

Curtains open, lights on. Make it bright in here.

Cromagnum
AG
If I go to be around 10, I'll wake up at 1 or 2, take a whiz, drink some water and go back to bed. If I stay up until 12 or 1, the whole routine is usually shifted by the same amount. I almost never get more than 3-4 hours of uninterrupted sleep.
The Fife
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Quote:

I keep lights dim around dusk and they get sleepy on their own.

**** that noise. What a pain in the ass. I can't stand going to old people's houses with the curtains drawn, plastic shutters closed, and only a table lap on for light.

Curtains open, lights on. Make it bright in here.

Who said anything about curtains and blinds? It gets dark by 6 over here and the kitchen lighting will be up because I'm cooking, but the family room overhead lighting where they are is closer to 30%. They're 2 and 4 so they're going to bed a lot earlier than me.

After they're in bed it'll be brighter unless I'm vegging out on Netflix because the tv looks better that way.
MouthBQ98
AG
Marked sense: farm/rural life. After dark, after dinner, there is nothing to do. No TV, nobody but your fault to talk to that you see every day on the farm, so you go to bed early because you are bored, sleep a bit, but not a deep sleep yet, then get up and read or fiddle about until you get really tired and go back to sleep. Makes sense to me.
Slim Isle
Mouth that's not it at all.
CW Griswold
A researcher in the 90's found out that it works for a little while, but in the long term not so much.

That's ashamed

-
dcAg
Im a terrible sleeper.
PatAg
AG
Roots86 said:

I think it's a city stress problem. Hauling hay, planting 100 foot rows by hand, digging holes all day, feeding animals at the crack of dawn etc etc will cure that.
Have fun with that
Psychag
AG
No matter how late I go to sleep I wake up 5-5:30. I sleep for couple of hours then wake up after about 4 hours, then sleep for a couple more. Been doing this for 20 years at least.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Terrible sleep last night
agdad4x
welcome to my world -

generally sleep 4 hours to start - awake for 2 to 3 hours - back to sleep for a nap for a couple of hours
Fat Bib Fortuna
When I finally was able to tolerate a C-PAP machine, I got better sleep in 4 hours with it on than 8 hours without it. I average 4-6 a night and have more energy at 46 than I did at 30.
wheelz
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

I never sleep through the night. Always sleep for a couple hours, wake up, go back to sleep, rinse and repeat til morning. Wish I could sleep through the night.

Start drinking more or try melatonin.
rlb28
AG
i sleep like a grown man! 8 straight hours. it's cold and dark and completely silent in the room.
MRB10
AG
Alcohol has been proven to lead to less restful sleep. My garmin sleep data supports it unless I drink to blackout. The hangover isn't worth doing that every night though.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
Scoopen Skwert
AG
It's God's invitation to a randy wank.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.